Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-08-2017, 11:04 PM

Default Trip to Texas

I'm flying to Texas next week and I'm debating on if I should take my gun with me. I haven't flown since I got my ccw so a little nervous. Any tips besides the obvious of locking it up and checking it? Any rules in Texas that I need to be aware of?
Old 11-09-2017, 12:11 AM

CCW doesn't effect any change in procedure for flying. That's TSA's and the airport's / airline's rules you need to follow.

It's an incumbent requirement of a CCW holder to familiarize themselves with the laws of the state they are carrying in. Many laws are different across jurisdictions, such as duty to inform, stand your ground, signage force of law, prohibitions on alcohol consumption, govt property, etc.

My personal suggestion is to get an app like Legal Heat for your phone (there are other good apps as well), and familiarize yourself with the laws of your destination.

Good luck
Old 11-09-2017, 4:52 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoGuy View Post
I'm flying to Texas next week and I'm debating on if I should take my gun with me. I haven't flown since I got my ccw so a little nervous. Any tips besides the obvious of locking it up and checking it? Any rules in Texas that I need to be aware of?

First, you've already done the right thing by posting this. We all know that if you read something on the internet, it must be true.

And by all means, get an "app" so you can read about the law. The authors of most of the apps are Chinese, but since everything is made in China, it must be a good source.

You won't need your gun on this trip. It's not your turn to get mugged or beaten. Buy a lottery ticket instead....I think it's your turn to win a few bucks.

If you have a CCW, your gun should be attached to your hip, unless you're naked. Then it should be in your hand, or within reach.

Call the Sheriff in the city you're going to....ask them your questions. Make sure you tell him you did your due diligence and checked the internet blogs first.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2017, 4:58 AM

Go to you airline website and see what their rules are for transporting firearms. They could be more restrictive than TSA requirements.

Just flew to Denver yesterday, fill out form when you check you luggage and tape it to lock box. Took 2 minutes.

This was on Frontier.
Old 11-09-2017, 6:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Here's a good place to start

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/fa....htm#carrylaws

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 11-09-2017, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleda View Post
First, you've already done the right thing by posting this. We all know that if you read something on the internet, it must be true.

And by all means, get an "app" so you can read about the law. The authors of most of the apps are Chinese, but since everything is made in China, it must be a good source.

You won't need your gun on this trip. It's not your turn to get mugged or beaten. Buy a lottery ticket instead....I think it's your turn to win a few bucks.

If you have a CCW, your gun should be attached to your hip, unless you're naked. Then it should be in your hand, or within reach.

Call the Sheriff in the city you're going to....ask them your questions. Make sure you tell him you did your due diligence and checked the internet blogs first.

Good luck.
Troll much?

But on one point, I'll bite: Legal Heat is a group of Lawyers who promote CCW legal knowledge and their app makes browsing that knowledge a fair bit easier.

The dead-tree version of their work is available here:

https://mylegalheat.com/firearm-law

However, the phone app is only a few dollars vs. $20 for the print edition, and you can get updated material, unlike the book.

To the OP, getting a violation because you carried in Texas against the law will probably make it difficult to renew, so might want to at least do some reading beforehand.
Old 11-09-2017, 8:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Yep. Pay special attention to Private property rules and what is proper notification under 30.06, 30.07. Lots of places are posted. Not all of them properly.

I ended up locking my gun in the car lock box way more often then I do here in California.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Yep. Pay special attention to Private property rules and what is proper notification under 30.06, 30.07. Lots of places are posted. Not all of them properly.

I ended up locking my gun in the car lock box way more often then I do here in California.

This^^ Look at the doors of businesses, it's supposed to be posted. In San Antonio I only ran into a couple of places that said no guns. They were on the River Walk and were places I was enjoying a couple of beers, so I wasn't carrying anyway. Look at 30.05 as well.
Old 11-09-2017, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Best think about Texas is

unless your near the border or in a big city your usually pretty safe. The simple fact anyone and everyone could be carrying tends to make people more polite.

And

If you ever need a gun the guy next to you likely has a spare or two with him.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 11-09-2017, 1:29 PM
Banned

You don't have to tell an officer that you have CCW.

If you are pulled over, make sure you hand your LTC/CCW card along with your license.

You can't carry in businesses that have over 51% of revenue in alcohol sales. So if you walk into a sports bar/restaurant type establishment, make sure to ask them if their alcohol revenue is more than 51%.

Legally you can keep a loaded firearm in your car, as long as it is out of view.

As already said, look for 30.06 and 30.07 signs. Occassionally you see a sign that just says " NO GUNS ALLOWED" which is not legal and technically you can ignore. Only 30.06 and 30.07 signs clearly marked in front of the store are legal.

Also remember, you can assume most people have firearms in their cars and many have CCW/LTC walking around. Even women, yes. Even Mexicans yes. Even Asians yes. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2017, 1:31 PM

Rules of thumb: Don't carry in hospitals, schools, or professional sports venues.

Otherwise, you can check a map at http://www.texas3006.com. I pretty much avoid places that post 30.06.
Old 11-09-2017, 2:49 PM

Doh, I missed where the OP said he has an LTC for Texas. I assumed he was talking about having recently gotten one for California. I didn't think there was reciproity. Is there? I see where an older Calguns post says it does, but there may be problem if the agency issuing your California LTC states on it that it is only valid in California.

Last edited by Chewy65; 11-09-2017 at 2:55 PM..
Old 11-09-2017, 2:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
Doh, I missed where the OP said he has an LTC for Texas. I assumed he was talking about having recently gotten one for California. I didn't think there was reciproity. Is there?
Texas accepts CA CCW. CA doesn't accept TX LTC.

TX is not vindictive and wants to help CA CCWs.
Old 11-09-2017, 2:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveRN View Post
Rules of thumb: Don't carry in hospitals, schools, or professional sports venues.

Otherwise, you can check a map at http://www.texas3006.com. I pretty much avoid places that post 30.06.
Campus carry on college campuses (public) is legal in TX. Private colleges have their own policies which have to be checked individually

But feel free to carry at UT Austin or any public university. There are some restrictions on college campuses though. Many times, dormitories and buildings where science research is being carried out is off limits.
Old 11-09-2017, 3:01 PM
Stoopid American Redneck™
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Doh, I missed where the OP said he has an LTC for Texas. I assumed he was talking about having recently gotten one for California. I didn't think there was reciproity. Is there? I see where an older Calguns post says it does, but there may be problem if the agency issuing your California LTC states on it that it is only valid in California.
There's only 1 IA that I have seen that puts that out (can't remember which county though). If the OP is from that county, he should know of that IAs restriction.

Question is, does it matter? Unless that IA prints that restriction on the CCW, no one in TX would ever know. It's likely the IA would never know, unless someone in TX calls to validate, say if the OP actually had to use his Carry weapon. That being said, I am not recommending anyone violate any laws or IAs terms here, just speculating.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 11-09-2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
There's only 1 IA that I have seen that puts that out (can't remember which county though). If the OP is from that county, he should know of that IAs restriction.

Question is, does it matter? Unless that IA prints that restriction on the CCW, no one in TX would ever know. It's likely the IA would never know, unless someone in TX calls to validate, say if the OP actually had to use his Carry weapon. That being said, I am not recommending anyone violate any laws or IAs terms here, just speculating.

Which is why I said there may be problem if the agency issuing your California LTC states on it. He should now but should and does aren't the same things
Old 11-09-2017, 5:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Added bonus. I got pulled over in my rental car in Texas by a City Police Officer. Handed my DL and CCW. He asked me if car was insured, I answered It's a rental, I'm totally doing the tourist thing.

He proceeded to tell me all the cool things to see in his town. No ticket.

Old 11-10-2017, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal P320 View Post
Campus carry on college campuses (public) is legal in TX. Private colleges have their own policies which have to be checked individually

Agreed, colleges can be a gray area, best to know the campus and its policies. Since I don't know the OP or why he's coming to Texas, I intended "schools" to mean primary K-12 education.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 PM

Just a quick trip mostly will be visiting hotels and restaurants. I'm leaning towards just leaving it at home. Don't really like leaving it in the car and with not knowing where I will be visiting exactly and their policies. It might just be easier to leave it home.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just a quick trip mostly will be visiting hotels and restaurants. I'm leaning towards just leaving it at home. Don't really like leaving it in the car and with not knowing where I will be visiting exactly and their policies. It might just be easier to leave it home.
You can basically take it anywhere except for Federal buildings and places with this sign in the front. Just look for 30.06 signs. They are clearly marked in the front of any business establishment.

It's okay to take to hotels. Restaurants like steak houses are okay. Sports bars, no.

It's really not that bad at all.
Old 11-11-2017, 2:11 AM

When you check-in your bag at the airline counter; inform the agent that your luggage contains a FIREARM. Do not use the word "GUN" They will then, walk you or direct you to, the TSA area for further scrutiny. When you arrive at your final destination and pick your bag off the carousel; immediately open your bag and check to see if the case and the firearm is still there. I speak from experience! I did not find out until the next day when I opened my luggage: the exterior lock on my luggage was missing, the cable that I used to attach the gun case to the frame inside my roll-on was missing, the lock on my gun case was broken and open but, the gun was still there. 3 boxes of ammo were also missing. Lesson learned: do not trust the airline or TSA to safeguard your firearm.
Old 11-11-2017, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
When you check-in your bag at the airline counter; inform the agent that your luggage contains a FIREARM. Do not use the word "GUN" They will then, walk you or direct you to, the TSA area for further scrutiny. When you arrive at your final destination and pick your bag off the carousel; immediately open your bag and check to see if the case and the firearm is still there. I speak from experience! I did not find out until the next day when I opened my luggage: the exterior lock on my luggage was missing, the cable that I used to attach the gun case to the frame inside my roll-on was missing, the lock on my gun case was broken and open but, the gun was still there. 3 boxes of ammo were also missing. Lesson learned: do not trust the airline or TSA to safeguard your firearm.
This depends on the airport. At SFO, yes. SMF, no. Out of Texas airports, definitely not. It seems like in Texas, they expect you to have a checked firearm.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 11-11-2017, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Really? who issues permits with that restriction?
Old 11-11-2017, 7:37 AM

Quote:
when traveling in California or Texas I always have my lockbox under the drivers seat, in case I need to go into a place off limits. So the same lockbox you put your gun in to check through TSA, put it under the seat of your rental car so you can go into places off limits to guns.

BTW in California you can carry in airports NOT controled by TSA, in Texas no so do not put your gun back on in Texas until you are clear of airport property.

When I first started carrying I was going to Oakland to pick up my son. I called Oakland airport police and asked if I should leave my gun locked in the car. He said "this is Oakland No! if someone accidentally sees your gun we will contact you inspect your permit and send you on your way".
Old 11-11-2017, 9:32 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Which is why I said there may be problem if the agency issuing your California LTC states on it. He should now but should and does aren't the same things
You missed my point, which was that I've only heard of 1 IA that does this. If the OP has that IA and doesn't know about it he clearly has problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumark2 View Post
BTW in California you can carry in airports NOT controled by TSA
Can you cite the CA PC or TSA rule that states this please?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Last edited by baggss; 11-11-2017 at 9:35 AM..
Old 11-11-2017, 1:44 PM

Federal law is silent on CCW at airports where it is not under TSA control (public airfields, unmanned fields) where there is no sterile area. In this case the regulating law is state or city. If the airport is private property, they can disallow CCW as appropriate by state and local statute.

http://pilotgetaways.com/mag/nd13/CCW
Old 11-11-2017, 4:24 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
Federal law is silent on CCW at airports where it is not under TSA control (public airfields, unmanned fields) where there is no sterile area. In this case the regulating law is state or city. If the airport is private property, they can disallow CCW as appropriate by state and local statute.

http://pilotgetaways.com/mag/nd13/CCW
Can you cite federal law for Airports under TSA control? I'm speaking of outside the secure area of course.

Old 11-11-2017, 4:48 PM

My understanding is that TSA owns the top level of policy via Federal preemption, but that they delegate control over the non-secure areas back to the airport security office which then follows local and state law in creating their policy.

After the Fort Lauderdale baggage claim shooting TSA briefly considered revoking that delegation and enforcing policy across the whole property. U.S. CBP altered their policy for international travelers, but there were no changes for domestic.

Florida does not permit CCW in the insecure portions of airports, but there were calls to change that after the shooting. I don't think that passed.

What you are looking for is contained in, or dependent on 49 CFR § 1542.103

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1542.103

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 11-11-2017 at 5:15 PM..
Old 11-11-2017, 4:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Can you cite federal law for Airports under TSA control? I'm speaking of outside the secure area of course.
I can not.

Though, in my training class it was asked if we could carry while picking up someone from the airport.

We were told that in able to legally do that we would need to contact the HMFIC (I can't remember the title of the person) and get written permission to carry on airport property.

I took notes but I don't remember where I put them right now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Old 11-11-2017, 4:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal P320 View Post
You can basically take it anywhere except for Federal buildings and places with this sign in the front. Just look for 30.06 signs. They are clearly marked in the front of any business establishment.

It's okay to take to hotels. Restaurants like steak houses are okay. Sports bars, no.

It's really not that bad at all.
I was just looking at some gun related apps and found this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3006.texas3006

It claims to tell you where those pesky signs are.

You can check out their website www.texas3006.com

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Old 11-11-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Added bonus. I got pulled over in my rental car in Texas by a City Police Officer. Handed my DL and CCW. He asked me if car was insured, I answered It's a rental, I'm totally doing the tourist thing.

He proceeded to tell me all the cool things to see in his town. No ticket.
Funny you mentioned this, I used to live in Oklahoma and had LTC from there. I went to Houston on work assignment and I wasn't familiar with the area. I made an improper lane change trying to get to my destination and was flagged to pull over by a constable. Hand it him my driver's license and my LTC permit, he asked me if it was the first time in Houston and scolded at me a little bit. After that he actually gave me direction to my destination and asked what I was carrying. I told him I was carrying Sig Sauer P229 357Sig. He smiled and said he has the same gun. No ticket either. I like Texas!

OP, they're pretty gun friendly or at least the folks I came across.