Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:17 PM

Default Bought my first shotgun. What ammo do I get?

Never shot a shotgun. Just started 10 day dros on a maverick 88.

Thereís probably a million different 12 gauge ammo.

Iím mainly looking for target ammo that could double for self defense.

I live in a condo with extremely thin walls.

Also for the maverick owners is there a particular ammo or brand it feeds the best/most reliable ?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:31 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultimate-...unds/332581491
Federal, Suprema or Estate. I have an 870 and Armscor 12 gauge pump.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 11-08-2017, 5:15 AM

Wal-Mart for practice/target shells. Federal 100 count box, NOT the Winchester "Universal". For HD, some 00 Buck should do. Usually in 5 packs. The target stuff, get #7.5 or #8 shot.
Old 11-08-2017, 6:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Op, where do you live. Take a clinic, they're for beginners.
Old 11-08-2017, 7:32 AM

Depends on the "target", but in an apartment, #4 shot would deter an intruder and might save a neighbors life.

Rex is Correct......

Does Trump really think Putin is a good guy or is he just scamming him?
Old 11-08-2017, 7:55 AM
Veteran Member

Congrats!!!!
Have fun with cheap target loads to make sure your stick works! With 12g being so inexpensive, there is no reason to compromise HD with sport shells. Once you know your shotgun functions properly with target loads, then buy some proper buck or slugs and run for function and know what she likes & patterns well, buy cheap & stack deep! My advice: don't try to overlap hunting shells with HD ~ It's not worth your safety especially with the low price of 12g.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Op, where do you live. Take a clinic, they're for beginners.
Iím in SFV
Old 11-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael777 View Post
Iím in SFV
Sign up for the SoCal Skeet Clinic and learn about shooting, ammo, chokes, how to run a shotgun all in one day

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1081488
Old 11-08-2017, 8:31 PM

The class sounds like a great way to get to know your shotgun.
Which barrel length and magazine capacity did you get? If you got the 18.5" barrel you will need to get one of the longer barrels with threads to accept chokes, and the appropriate choke(s) for the class.
ARMADILLOS!!!
----------------------------------------------------
"You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
- Blondie
Old 11-08-2017, 9:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DippyPower View Post
The class sounds like a great way to get to know your shotgun.
Which barrel length and magazine capacity did you get? If you got the 18.5" barrel you will need to get one of the longer barrels with threads to accept chokes, and the appropriate choke(s) for the class.
Negative---bring whatever shotgun you have to the clinic. The coaches will take it from there

The info page has suggested things to bring such as eye and ear protection, hat, shell pouch etc.

The most important thing to bring is yourself
Old 11-09-2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbutold View Post
Depends on the "target", but in an apartment, #4 shot would deter an intruder and might save a neighbors life.
Is there any particular #4 that you'd recommend? TIA.
Old 11-09-2017, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, the kind that goes bang when you pull the trigger.

Buy a few different boxes, shoot about 100 rounds of each, see which one functions in your gun best.
Old 11-09-2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaw View Post
If youíre going to use #4 for HD, make it #4 Buck!
Old 11-10-2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the kind that goes bang when you pull the trigger.

Buy a few different boxes, shoot about 100 rounds of each, see which one functions in your gun best.
Thanks Smart ***.

Last edited by ilaw; 11-10-2017 at 6:05 PM..
Old 11-10-2017, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Turkey loads.

3" has 2oz of shot, 2 3/4 has 1 1/2oz of shot.
Old 11-10-2017, 7:50 PM

Agree with the turkey loads. I use Remington 3" Nitro's, 1 7/8 oz 1210 fps.

Rex is Correct......

Does Trump really think Putin is a good guy or is he just scamming him?
Old 11-10-2017, 8:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks Smart ***.
I'm being serious. Are you willing to trust your life on an anonymous recommendation on the internet?

If you're serious about self defense, you need to put at least a thousand rounds thru it, without a hiccup.
Old 11-10-2017, 8:33 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I’ve shot quite a bit of this and have no complaints:
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...b-p-61821.aspx

Edited to add: but, as mentioned above, buy some for yourself, shoot it, and get comfortable with it. We don’t want to see you get your new shotgun, load it full of whatever the first person recommends, and throw it in your closet.

Last edited by champu; 11-10-2017 at 8:36 PM..
Old 11-10-2017, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

The only problem with turkey loads is they're expensive, and come in boxes of five. As I stated above, if you're serous about self defense, you need to put at least a thousand rounds thru it, without a hiccup.

Last edited by ysr_racer; 11-10-2017 at 11:37 PM..
Old 11-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

For target ammo, pretty much anything will do. Walmart has the 100 round value pack of birdshot in the $25 range (give or take). The Federal loads tend to perform better than the Winchesters...at least for me.

For home defense, you're going to have some choices to make. 00 Buck is pretty tried and true. Folks have also already suggested #4 Buck as the pellets are a bit smaller and hopefully that helps in your Condo situation.

It's probably worth your time to do a bit of research. There are a number of videos out where people have compared various ammo (pistol, rifle and shotgun) with respect to wall penetration. Here's one source to get you started...

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...uns-and-walls/

This is also an excellent round if you opt to go the 00 Buck route. It comes in several varieties...8 pellet, 9 pellet, reduced recoil, etc. Note that the 9 pellet shells are just slightly longer than the 8 pellet shells...which could affect the capacity in your particular gun. They all have the "flight control wad," which gives you a tighter pattern...which many people prefer in a home setting...helps keep all the pellets in the bad guy instead of going through the wall and into your neighbor's living room. Target Sport USA usually always has a pretty good price on it. They will also usually ship for free when you buy a case (250 rounds for this).

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...00-p-3291.aspx

With whatever round you decide to go with, you want to be sure you "pattern your shotgun." If you don't understand the term, you can google "How to pattern a shotgun," and I'm sure you'll get several videos.

Fighter Pilot
Old 11-12-2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
I'm being serious. Are you willing to trust your life on an anonymous recommendation on the internet?

If you're serious about self defense, you need to put at least a thousand rounds thru it, without a hiccup.
That's fine, I can understand about testing different brands of rounds. But to reply with "the kind that goes bang when you pull the trigger" is a snarky, inappropriate reply when a person is asking a simple, honest question.

Last edited by ilaw; 11-12-2017 at 6:40 PM..
Old 11-12-2017, 7:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That's fine, I can understand about testing different brands of rounds. But to reply with "the kind that goes bang when you pull the trigger" is a snarky, inappropriate reply when a person is asking a simple, honest question.
Take it how ever you like. Asking for ammo recommendations is like asking, what would I like for dinner.

Just because my shotgun feeds xyz flawlessly, doesn't mean it will in yours, even if it's exactly the same gun. You guys are taking about home defense, while I think it's non sense, and most of you probably don't shoot much, the real answer is, if you're going to trust your life to a shotgun, you God damn will better be sure it's fool proof.
Old 11-12-2017, 7:43 PM

Its a pump action, 2 3/4 or 3" shells = fool proof

If you had to shoot someone at close range (room), with a modified or full choke even using a Trap load 7 1/2 shot - Chest or face they are probably going to die or wish they did
Old 11-12-2017, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Donít mess around with #4 shot. It is a game load, not a home defense load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Wal-Mart for practice/target shells. Federal 100 count box, NOT the Winchester "Universal". For HD, some 00 Buck should do. Usually in 5 packs. The target stuff, get #7.5 or #8 shot.
#00 Buck is tried and true

Quote:
Not for home defense. #4 shot is a game load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
If youíre going to use #4 for HD, make it #4 Buck!
This! There is a huge difference between #4 shot and #4 Buck.

As someone who is alive today because of a shotgun, donít play around with any game load for home defense. I went up against three armed suspects, one of which had an AK-47, with an Ithaca 12 gauge pump. I had 4 rounds of #00 Buck and 1 round of #4 Buck (Department issue) in the gun. I used all 5 rounds, hitting all three suspects. (The guy with the AK fired first)

I saw the X-rays later of the damage. The #00Buck did significantly more damage than the #4Buck in spite of more hits with the #4Buck. I never carried #4Buck again.

Iíve seen #00Buck used indoors many times. At close range the pattern is tight, even out of a short barrel. Over penetration isnít a realistic concern, and is always over rated here on CalGuns for some reason.

Practice with your new gun with game loads as much as you can. It is really beneficial to make using the gun second nature. Several hundred rounds will do wonders for your confidence and familiarity with the gun.

Make sure you practice with your chosen home defense round as well. There is a difference in the recoil and how you handle the gun. The more you shoot it, the better off you will be in the long run.

I spent 32+ years in law enforcement and carried a 12 gauge Ithaca Model 37 pump shotgun on a daily basis. Iíve fired thousands of rounds in training situations and 5 rounds in a gunfight situation. When the gunfight happened, those #00Buck rounds made a big difference. They took down 3 suspects who were actively firing at me and my partner.

When it comes to your life, donít mess around with game loads. You want to stop the threat as quickly as possible.

Cut open a #4 shot, a #4Buck, and a #00Buck and compare the pellets. The difference is clear.

Ron

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Old 11-13-2017, 6:15 AM
Calguns Addict

So Ron, when your life was on the line, you trusted ammo that you got from an anonymous source on the interwebs?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
So Ron, when your life was on the line, you trusted ammo that you got from an anonymous source on the interwebs?
It was a Craigslist personal ad post from a guy with a Compuserve email address.
Old 11-13-2017, 1:28 PM

So, lemme just start off by saying a shotgun is not a 'fire and forget' option for self defense, you treat it like any other firearm and you keep firing until the threat is stopped. While 00 buckshot is powerful, and about the equivalent of firing 8-9 9mm rounds at someone, shot placement is what counts the most. If your rounds are going into a bad guy they're not going through your walls into someone else's condo. So this means you should practice firing a quick and accurate follow up shot, and expect to fire 2-3 times. If you aren't experienced or trained in room clearing don't even think about trying to flush someone out, call the police and wait it out in a room with your barrel trained on the door, informing the dispatcher where you are and what your plan is so police don't just barge in and shoot you.

As far as ammo goes, 00 buck and no4 buck are both fine options, with 00 you get as i said around 8-9 pellets the diameter of 9mm rounds, with no4 you get around 30ish pellets around the diameter of a 22 round. The nice thing about no4 buck is it's a little softer on recoil, which makes for better follow up shots. Don't expect it to behave like you see in the movies where it throws someone back or blows their head clean off 20 yards away. More bullets is never a substitute for good marksmanship and in a home invasion scenario you want to be able to end the threat as quick as possible, just keep that in mind and if you have to shoot, shoot to kill, don't try any of that "shoot the knife out of his hand" bs.
Old 11-13-2017, 3:54 PM

If it can't penetrate a wall, it's no good for self defense. Even 380 and 38special goes through walls, and no one would suggest less than that in a handgun.

Get birdshot bulk packs from Walmart for range and buckshot for hd.