Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:09 PM

Default New CA Ammo Law delayed until 07-01-19

Wasn't sure where to post this. As I understand it, the new ammo law that was suppose to go into effect in 2018 will be delayed until July 2019.

SB 1235

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...016-bof-02.pdf

So I guess we are still screwed because of Prop63 -

For California Residents,
Online Ordering of Ammo Stops Dec. 31!
How does California Proposition 63 affect you?
Ammunition Regulation

*In order to purchase ammunition, Californians must first pass both a background check and obtain a permit from the California Department of Justice, which lasts four years. Dealers must check the buyer’s permit before selling ammunition*

California enacted legislation in July 2016 that repealed this provision and instead mandated dealers to check with the Department of Justice to determine if the buyer is authorized to purchase.

This means CA residents can no longer purchase ammo online!

Individuals and businesses were already required to obtain a one-year license to purchase or sell ammunition. With Proposition 63, it is a misdemeanor to not follow this requirement. There is an exception for individuals and businesses that sell 500 rounds or less of ammunition in a 30-day period.

Large-Capacity Ammunition Magazine Ban

Citizens may no longer possess high-capacity ammunition magazines, which are specified as magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. These magazines must be surrendered by July 1, 2017, and violators still in possession could receive up to a $100 fine and one year in jail per offending magazine.

Note: This piece of legislation was temporarily halted by a federal judge before taking effect, but may still be appealed, and even has the potential to reach the Supreme Court for a final ruling.
Firearm Possession Restrictions

Last edited by wcoastpi; 11-10-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Old 11-09-2017, 10:11 PM

I knew it. This violates interstate commerce law or whatever.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:11 PM

Tagged, for more info.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:21 PM

If real, that is awesome news!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:25 PM

A whole year and a half delay, Jesus ****ing christ thank you Lord and Savior, you are fond of plot twist. This gives us time to fight it, this ammo restriction was a huge push for Liberals out of left field, really hard to set up, maybe will never be set up, hopefully dies in the womb.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battosai1 View Post
A whole year and a half delay, Jesus ****ing christ thank you Lord and Savior, you are fond of plot twist. This gives us time to fight it, this ammo restriction was a huge push for Liberals out of left field, really hard to set up, maybe will never be set up, hopefully dies in the womb.
Ditto
Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This bullitin was issued back in January.

All I see about the ammo laws is what was set to happen in 2019 under SB1235, I do not see a change, that is when this law was to become effective when it was passed.

I see nothing about delaying the ammo laws that start in 2018 under Prop 63.

Sent from my Ivory Tower using Moral High Ground 2.0

No messages are hidden because I am not an emotional snowflake.

DACA; Registration leads to deportation.

NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by TRICKSTER; 11-09-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Old 11-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That memo correctly reports the background checks begin in 2019 (PC 30370); 'face to face' and 'use an ammunition vendor' begin 1 Jan, 2018 (PC 30312) -- presuming they can get 'clean' regulations in place.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post

All I see about the ammo laws is what was set to happen in 2019 under SB1235, I do not see a change, that is when this law was to become effective when it was passed.

Correct.
Prop63 nullified many parts of SB1235. DeLeon and Newsom were not happy with each other and 63 took a lot of the wind out of DeLeon's sails.

This memo simply addresses what parts of SB1235 will go into effect in 2019, Prop63 will still go into effect on schedule unless we can get the courts to block it in the next 45 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:34 PM

So does this mean we will still be able to buy ammo face to face at local shops/stores after Jan. 1 intil they have the permit system in place???
Old 11-09-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post

Exactly..

Nothing has changed....we are still screwed(no online ammo) starting 01/01/18 and then further
screwed (bg check) on 01/01/19........

Nothing to get happy about here....

Old 11-10-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smupser View Post
So does this mean we will still be able to buy ammo face to face at local shops/stores after Jan. 1 intil they have the permit system in place???
No.
See above... NOTHING has changed.
Prop63 overruled/nullified most of SB1235, much of which did not go into effect until 2019.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Arg, I had a little happy moment there for like 30 seconds until I was dragged back to our grim reality...
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 11-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Whew, I was about to get upset over having spent so much in the past year stocking up on enough ammo to last me the next 10 years
Old 11-10-2017, 3:24 PM

does this law also include no buying bullets and brass via the internet or mail order.
cabelas sent me a flyer today stating no reloading bullets or brass under this law .
thanks kevin
Old 11-10-2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevshuntin View Post
does this law also include no buying bullets and brass via the internet or mail order.
cabelas sent me a flyer today stating no reloading bullets or brass under this law .
thanks kevin
Marketing scam, unless you are a prohibited person.
Old 11-10-2017, 3:36 PM

just read about my question in the
How ca laws apply to/affect me but still not clear if it includes bullets, brass ,magazines
thanks kevin
Old 11-10-2017, 3:37 PM

thanks AGGRO
Old 11-10-2017, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRO View Post
Marketing scam, unless you are a prohibited person.
I dont think I would call it a scam, more like confusion. There are two different definitions used in the bill and prop 63, one includes only complete cartridges while the other includes all the individual parts. The one including all the individual parts only applies to knowingly selling to prohibited persons, but I can imagine out of an abundance of caution Cabelas may be intending to stop all those sales to CA at least until they know for sure what the enforcement is going to be.
Old 11-10-2017, 4:14 PM

It isn't like we haven't had time to get ready for it, but still . . . . why does California have to have the best weather and the worst politicians? Remember this come election time again, folks. We have to get these people out of office. Still got a month to stock up; better get to ordering.
Old 11-10-2017, 4:17 PM

Gawd, these Ca laws make me sick. Bunch of s--t.
And stores, for the most part, still do not know what to do after 1/1/2018! Ahh!
Old 11-10-2017, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
why does California have to have the best weather and the worst politicians?
The two go hand in hand.
Good weather attracts people who don't have what it takes to survive in a harsher climate like Montana.
Homeless thrive along the coast because it doesn't get hot or cold enough to kill you from exposure... you can survive with a blanket.

These people vote for those who will give them free stuff.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Correct.
Prop63 nullified many parts of SB1235. DeLeon and Newsom were not happy with each other and 63 took a lot of the wind out of DeLeon's sails.

This memo simply addresses what parts of SB1235 will go into effect in 2019, Prop63 will still go into effect on schedule unless we can get the courts to block it in the next 45 days.
Wouldn’t there need to be an actual lawsuit over the implementation of this law to have the courts block it? I’m not aware of any lawsuit or challenge to ammunition purchasing under proposition 63?

Not that it matters, no court on the west coast is going to give a **** about this back door ban on online ammo purchases, city’s throughout California have banned online ammo purchases for years without even a whimper from gun owners. But hey, 63 is just a common sense gun law.

The 2nd amendment as we thought we knew it only existed in our imaginations until Heller and McDonald, since then the liberal district courts have neutered those rulings... today the 2nd is dying on the vine.

Last edited by fireguymfd; 11-10-2017 at 6:15 PM..
Old 11-10-2017, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguymfd View Post
Wouldn’t there need to be an actual lawsuit or uproar over the implementation of this law to have the courts block it? I’m not aware of any lawsuit or challenge to ammunition purchasing under proposition 63. No court is going to give a **** about this back door ban on online Ammo purchases, city’s throughout California have banned online Ammo purchases without even whimper from gun owners.
The NRA has a lawsuit theyre waiting to file when it starts. I guess they dont think they can get a prelim injunction, so theyre waiting until it goes into effect. You cant sue yet except to get a PI since there isnt an infringement until 1/1/18. IMO its pretty unlikely they would get a PI even with a friendly judge, so theyre doing the right thing by waiting.
Old 11-10-2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
The NRA has a lawsuit theyre waiting to file when it starts. I guess they dont think they can get a prelim injunction, so theyre waiting until it goes into effect. You cant sue yet except to get a PI since there isnt an infringement until 1/1/18. IMO its pretty unlikely they would get a PI even with a friendly judge, so theyre doing the right thing by waiting.
Thanks for the information. Makes since. Just need to buy enough ammo online to last 5 years... sadly.
Old 11-10-2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguymfd View Post
Thanks for the information. Makes since. Just need to buy enough ammo online to last 5 years... sadly.
Need to buy enough ammo to last a lifetime or until you leave CA.
Old 11-10-2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
The two go hand in hand.
Good weather attracts people who don't have what it takes to survive in a harsher climate like Montana.
Homeless thrive along the coast because it doesn't get hot or cold enough to kill you from exposure... you can survive with a blanket.

That, to varying degrees, sums it up. Bottom line to what, I’ve heard, has happened in the last 40 years to what was once a great state.

And, yes Virginia, even brown people have said it.
I know I'm gonna get got, but I'm going to get mine more than I get got though.
-Marshawn Lynch
Old 11-10-2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
The two go hand in hand.

Damnit! Why do you have to be so right!
Geez, I love CA and am married to my retirement for another ten years till I hit 50. But I'll be damned if I stay a day after 50 and I can retire...
Old 11-10-2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
Need to buy enough ammo to last a lifetime or until you leave CA.
Their will be enough ammo, in back alley dealings and just another black market popped up, welcome to Mexico 2.0
Old 11-10-2017, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

Can't someone correct the thread TITLE to make it less confusing for members?

Sheit, trying to read through all these legalese threads....with all the double-entendres and double-negatives.....this crap is confusing enough.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
The two go hand in hand.

What kind of people don't have what it takes to survive in the cold? That's a rather odd statement especially considering all humans have the same basic needs. If you are referring to the homeless I doubt they carry much political sway based on their votes...
Old 11-10-2017, 10:33 PM

I have enough ammo to last until our move to AZ in 8 months

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2017, 5:31 AM

So Rip Van Winkle woke up and just educated himself on the new California Ammo Laws and broadcasted it to everyone as if it's new.

I'm going back to bed.
Old 11-12-2017, 1:09 AM

Boy is this bullshiz going to create a black market like never before!!!!

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/winxp_man/MeShooting-1.jpg
Old 11-12-2017, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
Boy is this bullshiz going to create a black market like never before!!!!
Wasn't the 18th amendment? The mafia made huge bucks until the repeal..

I may set up my location right next to the Meth dealer!
Old 11-12-2017, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark49 View Post
Wasn't the 18th amendment? The mafia made huge bucks until the repeal..

I may set up my location right next to the Meth dealer!
Hahahahahaha! Seriously though! And yes it’s how Al Capone came about!

Last edited by winxp_man; 11-12-2017 at 2:12 PM..
Old 11-12-2017, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

So, for us lazy people who don’t read into the code speak for this political stuff,
Still no online sales after 1/1/18?
Ftf ammo is ok till 2019?
Is they the gist of it, because that’s how it sounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitune2013 View Post
Unban me from the marketplace moderators, pretty one sided **** show yall are putting on over here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Old 11-12-2017, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Most of California's gun owners vote anti gun at elections. What can we do?
Old 11-12-2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Most of California's gun owners vote anti gun at elections. What can we do?
Break away from liberal, Bay Area, and LA area! Hahaha

Old 11-12-2017, 2:22 PM

Pretty sure CA govt won't GAS if there is no legal means to purchase ammo come Jan 1