Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-09-2017, 4:24 PM
Chiro22's Avatar
Chiro22 Chiro22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 853
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default Fall Turkey

Anyone going out for opener, to put a wild turkey (not the bottle, although that's good too) on their Thanksgiving table?

I'm going to try some BLM land, that I've seen them at before. Hopefully I'll get on some private land a friend owns as well.
__________________
Thank you,

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-09-2017, 8:15 PM
antonio's Avatar
antonio antonio is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: N0R, CA
Posts: 531
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Ya drive over the hill at ranch and pick which one i want to shoot lol. Damn things are everywhere.
__________________
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-09-2017, 9:02 PM
XVIga_Rob's Avatar
XVIga_Rob XVIga_Rob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 916
Posts: 1,702
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Anton, you’re killing me with this!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-09-2017, 9:39 PM
BillyGoatCrawler's Avatar
BillyGoatCrawler BillyGoatCrawler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern Ca
Posts: 1,899
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Anton that is like the guys talking about which bar fly they’re trying their hardest to take home and you come in talking about how you open your check book and have Sofia vergara. LoL
__________________
Kunar Prov, A'stan '08-'09, 1-26 INF
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2017, 7:01 AM
antonio's Avatar
antonio antonio is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: N0R, CA
Posts: 531
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Lol, just speaking the truth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
Anton that is like the guys talking about which bar fly they’re trying their hardest to take home and you come in talking about how you open your check book and have Sofia vergara. LoL
__________________
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2017, 7:04 AM
Dnele928's Avatar
Dnele928 Dnele928 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: La Jolla
Posts: 444
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

And, it’s not bragging if it’s true.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-10-2017, 8:46 AM
stonefly-2 stonefly-2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: sacramento
Posts: 2,340
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I've always just looked at them as a bonus bird while pheasant hunting and having a big chessie flush and then do water retrieves was amazing.

Since they won't come to a call what strategy would you employ if you were targeting them?

Maybe glass at distance and set up an ambush?

Or if your'e plagued with them on your property.

Open the porch window and pop one with a pellet gun when they come for the dog food @2:35 pm again?
__________________
What do you call the people that abandoned the agenda of John Kennedy and adopted the agenda of Lee Oswald?

i was born under a wandrin star
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-10-2017, 9:01 AM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 15,647
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
I've always just looked at them as a bonus bird while pheasant hunting and having a big chessie flush and then do water retrieves was amazing.

Since they won't come to a call what strategy would you employ if you were targeting them?

Maybe glass at distance and set up an ambush?

Or if your'e plagued with them on your property.

Open the porch window and pop one with a pellet gun when they come for the dog food @2:35 pm again?
No I still use a shotgun, but usually doing so in my underwear on the back deck
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-10-2017, 9:22 AM
stonefly-2 stonefly-2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: sacramento
Posts: 2,340
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Oh i hadn't considered your setup,
why not just have the servants form a drive to push them to you?
__________________
What do you call the people that abandoned the agenda of John Kennedy and adopted the agenda of Lee Oswald?

i was born under a wandrin star
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-10-2017, 9:28 AM
Skip_Dog's Avatar
Skip_Dog Skip_Dog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 450
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Set up close to their roost tree. Wait till day light and hope they sleep in and fly over your head on the way to the morning water source.

I may try for a turkey soon. I usually put a goose on the table for thanksgiving but may change it up this year.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-10-2017, 9:58 AM
SquidBilly's Avatar
SquidBilly SquidBilly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Walkeen County
Posts: 751
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

If I don't get one tomorrow morning I'll be surprised. I saw a bunch at my spot 2 weeks ago in the 90 defree heat. I'm gonna park my fanny by a tree and call em in.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:40 AM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 15,647
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
Oh i hadn't considered your setup,
why not just have the servants form a drive to push them to you?
For fall hunting, using my Chesapeake works real well to break up the turkeys. Give a couple yelps to bring them back into a group and bang.

I don't have servants.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Chiro22's Avatar
Chiro22 Chiro22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 853
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBilly View Post
If I don't get one tomorrow morning I'll be surprised. I saw a bunch at my spot 2 weeks ago in the 90 defree heat. I'm gonna park my fanny by a tree and call em in.
Happy hunting. Let me know how it goes.
__________________
Thank you,

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Chiro22's Avatar
Chiro22 Chiro22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 853
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
Set up close to their roost tree. Wait till day light and hope they sleep in and fly over your head on the way to the morning water source.

I may try for a turkey soon. I usually put a goose on the table for thanksgiving but may change it up this year.
I've been trying to find the roost tree. I've also done most of my scouting in good weather. Since it's raining, will they sit in the roost tree for longer?
__________________
Thank you,

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-10-2017, 2:41 PM
Skip_Dog's Avatar
Skip_Dog Skip_Dog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 450
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiro22 View Post
I've been trying to find the roost tree. I've also done most of my scouting in good weather. Since it's raining, will they sit in the roost tree for longer?
Yes. They are very smart and if one sees/hears you they will all be gone.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-10-2017, 5:33 PM
stonefly-2 stonefly-2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: sacramento
Posts: 2,340
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
For fall hunting, using my Chesapeake works real well to break up the turkeys. Give a couple yelps to bring them back into a group and bang.

I don't have servants.
crazy seeing that much bird in a dogs much ain't it?
That's a good tip, i wasn't aware of any way a call would be of help in the fall.

Just kidding about the servants.........hope none of the ranch hands was offended.
__________________
What do you call the people that abandoned the agenda of John Kennedy and adopted the agenda of Lee Oswald?

i was born under a wandrin star
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:21 PM
SquidBilly's Avatar
SquidBilly SquidBilly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Walkeen County
Posts: 751
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiro22 View Post
Happy hunting. Let me know how it goes.
Will do. Really hoping I'm early enough and get down to where I want to be before light and others.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-11-2017, 8:16 AM
drutledge79 drutledge79 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oakland
Posts: 551
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Good luck y'all. Let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-11-2017, 8:56 AM
tony270's Avatar
tony270 tony270 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: High Desert
Posts: 2,067
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

In areas known to hold them make a stand along a creek and watch the creek bed, like a deer hunting stand, they forage starting early in the morning, Cache Creek or San Felipe are public, read the rules that are posted in the on site Kiosk.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-11-2017, 9:32 AM
WMG's Avatar
WMG WMG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....
Posts: 1,108
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
Since they won't come to a call what strategy would you employ if you were targeting them?
I am in PA , so maybe our birds are different but I have always heard you can't call fall birds and I have found that to be so untrue.

In the spring they come in looking for love ...... they come in the fall I suppose just looking for a flock to hang with.

While in the spring I usually only use a mouth call or a box .... in the fall , I get a mouth and box call going at the same time and my plan is to resemble a small flock and I call in fall birds all the time ......... granted they are mostly hens or jakes and often they come in quiet or softly with some clucks , etc and don't sound off like a gobbler in the spring but I've done this for years mostly because I had yet to hear it didn't work
Take a buddy along and set him up 25 yds away and have him do the same thing.
If you have birds in the area they come in ... why wouldn't they?
And for the record , many long time turkey experts would say I over call and I guess according to the books I probably do , esp in the fall.
__________________
If you start thinking like a Free Man
You'll begin to feel like a Free Man
And pretty soon you'll begin acting like a Free Man

Last edited by WMG; 11-11-2017 at 9:35 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-11-2017, 9:39 AM
Chiro22's Avatar
Chiro22 Chiro22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 853
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMG View Post
I am in PA , so maybe our birds are different but I have always heard you can't call fall birds and I have found that to be so untrue.

In the spring they come in looking for love ...... they come in the fall I suppose just looking for a flock to hang with.

While in the spring I usually only use a mouth call or a box .... in the fall , I get a mouth and box call going at the same time and my plan is to resemble a small flock and I call in fall birds all the time ......... granted they are mostly hens or jakes and often they come in quiet or softly with some clucks , etc and don't sound off like a gobbler in the spring but I've done this for years mostly because I had yet to hear it didn't work
Take a buddy along and set him up 25 yds away and have him do the same thing.
If you have birds in the area they come in ... why wouldn't they?
And for the record , many long time turkey experts would say I over call and I guess according to the books I probably do , esp in the fall.
That's a really interested idea, to run a few calls at the same time to mimic a small flock. I'll give that a try.
__________________
Thank you,

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-11-2017, 9:40 AM
Chiro22's Avatar
Chiro22 Chiro22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 853
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
In areas known to hold them make a stand along a creek and watch the creek bed, like a deer hunting stand, they forage starting early in the morning, Cache Creek or San Felipe are public, read the rules that are posted in the on site Kiosk.
Right on. I know just the place for this. Thanks
__________________
Thank you,

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:46 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.