Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-14-2017, 1:44 PM

Question New Officer - Handcuff Question

One of my closest friends is graduating the police academy next week. I want to buy him a useful gift to commemorate the occasion. I am not in law enforcement, so I'd greatly appreciate advice from the guys who would know what's best.

I've been looking at the Peerless Model 730 superlight black aluminum handcuffs at 5.2 ounces. My thought here is I'd like to "lighten my friends load" that he'll need to carry on a daily basis. These are NIJ certified, so I would think that they (the department) would be OK with them? He'll be working for the Phoenix AZ PD - if that matters.

I plan to have the cuffs engraved with his last name and also want to buy a lightweight carrier to complete the package. I just don't know what cuff carrier would be best. So my two questions are:

1) Do these lightweight cuffs seem like a good choice as a gift for a new officer?

2) What would be the best (easiest to use) lightweight carrier to complement a set of cuffs?

I am also open to suggestions for other gift items. My criteria is I want something for him to support his duties that will last and make his job a little easier.

Thanks in advance for your service and assistance in making the best choice for my friend.
Old 10-14-2017, 2:14 PM

I’m not LEO, but family members all are. I’ve heard cuffs are kinda consumable items.

I would think a great EDC knife would be more useful.

Or a great watch.

Both could be engraved.
Old 10-14-2017, 2:32 PM

Lightweight is good. But some guys are picky about the pouch/ carrier because it has to be consistent with the entire kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 2:41 PM
Veteran Member

I would ask him directly if that cuff/case combo is acceptable, or just buy him a gift card for his nearest uniform store. Departments typically have a list of approved gear that he can supplement or replace his issued gear with. He'll be the best judge of what he needs or can have.
Old 10-14-2017, 2:43 PM

Carried my same Peerless for 32 years. I had mine engraved with last name and and employee number. As far as a knife I liked a serrated blade, cut seat belts easily.
Old 10-14-2017, 3:16 PM

Peerless are excellent cuffs. I like the idea of engraving . But as others have stated I would be reluctant to purchase a carrier as you don't know the agency's uniform policy.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 5:31 PM

Those lightweight cuffs are pretty sweet but I would let him get a cuff case because there are a lot of variable like basket weave vs web gear, or a dual cuff case vs single, open top or button in.

Personally, my cuffs get used pretty roughly and I've lost a few pairs. A good quality flashlight with a rechargeable battery or a leather man are also ideas for gifts. I've used my leatherman on countless calls.
Old 10-15-2017, 6:06 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm going to get the cuffs done up and give him enough cash on the side to get the carrier he likes best. He's a knife collector and also has a good collection of various LED lights, so he's well covered for those items.

My thought about this was to save him from carrying an unnecessary 5 ounces each day. While he's a tool/equipment/guns kind of guy, I don't really see him buying light-weight cuffs on his own, so that will make them a nice luxury.
Old 10-15-2017, 7:56 AM

Good call. I have the lightweight cuffs and i absolutley LOVE them. Have them engraved with his last name so the jailors dont try and keep them lol. I have an external vest carrier with built in cuff holders so if his department offers them, he wont need a cuff case.

Other good gifts that departments dont provide would be a Posse box and ticket book holder, patrol bag, Garmin GPS, Tactical Mic Kip (TMK), and gun light to name a few

Last edited by Atomic Donut; 10-15-2017 at 8:03 AM..
Old 10-15-2017, 11:33 PM

I don’t have the lightweight cuffs and have only played with them. They’re nice. Very nice. I just stick to the regular stainless steel or black cuffs. Whatever is available. Cuffs get jacked all the time, even the engraved ones. It happens intentionally and unintentionally. A big incident and tons of moving parts. Stuff gets lost and shuffled around.

I’d recommend the mic loop from http://themicloop.com over the TMK/tactica mic klip. It’s sturdier and not as bulky, IMO. If he likes batons, a nice dymondwood/kogawood baton is a great investment. I love both my kogawood baton and riot baton, and my dymondwood baton.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:39 AM

I’ve been rocking the lightweight cuffs for a while now and they’re awesome imo. I run two lightweight cuffs with a double cuff case and I won’t go back to the standard cuffs. I know two cuffs may not seem like a big deal but when you have a bunch of other things on your belt, eliminating some weight here and there is always good.

I have mine engraved with my badge number and I always make sure to yell at my partners to get them back to me or pay me, lol. Or I just do a cuff exchange during custody exchange.

I also use the MicLoop as mention by esy and would also recommend that as well.

Last edited by StraightShot04; 10-16-2017 at 12:41 AM..
Old 10-16-2017, 7:14 AM
Veteran Member

I would get him something his department isn't going to issue him. Lightweight cuffs are nice, but he'll be issued a pair of decent ones. Maybe invest your money elsewhere and if he wants lighter cuffs later on, he can make the purchase. Maybe even get his department to comp him for it (unlikely).

"Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 10-16-2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShot04 View Post
I’ve been rocking the lightweight cuffs for a while now and they’re awesome imo. I run two lightweight cuffs with a double cuff case and I won’t go back to the standard cuffs. I know two cuffs may not seem like a big deal but when you have a bunch of other things on your belt, eliminating some weight here and there is always good.

I have mine engraved with my badge number and I always make sure to yell at my partners to get them back to me or pay me, lol. Or I just do a cuff exchange during custody exchange.

I also use the MicLoop as mention by esy and would also recommend that as well.
That’s because you’re super cool, super high speed, and super tactical. I look up to you.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:58 AM

Get him a good mutli-tool and/or flashlight.

Or get him an off duty cuff/mag/light pouch.

On duty pouches might have to match the duty gear. some places don't like you mixing nylon and leather.
Old 10-19-2017, 2:30 AM

i would recommend a fenix flashlight. there are many models to choose from.

ed
Old 10-19-2017, 7:30 AM

I've been out of the game for a while, but my Peerless cuffs are still around. While aluminum cuffs may seems like a good idea, I'd stick with the stainless or blackened stainless. I'd also consider hinged cuffs for more security, but that's just a personal choice. Carried one set chained and one hinged in case of PCP suspects, but I started in the 80s.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq View Post
I would get him something his department isn't going to issue him. Lightweight cuffs are nice, but he'll be issued a pair of decent ones. Maybe invest your money elsewhere and if he wants lighter cuffs later on, he can make the purchase. Maybe even get his department to comp him for it (unlikely).
I used to carry two sets of cuffs on me at all times, and two sets in my go bag where I could get to them easily. On many occasions I used all of them and had to get others to help with more cuffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt511 View Post
I've been out of the game for a while, but my Peerless cuffs are still around. While aluminum cuffs may seems like a good idea, I'd stick with the stainless or blackened stainless. I'd also consider hinged cuffs for more security, but that's just a personal choice. Carried one set chained and one hinged in case of PCP suspects, but I started in the 80s.
Find out what is authorized by his department. Some agencies, like LASD, do not allow hinged cuffs. Glendale (AZ) PD north of Phoenix, does not allow them either. I have family with Glendale PD.

PCP suspects, now that brings back memories. I started in the 70’s when it was still very prevalent. Meth suspects can get like “dusters” when it comes to pain tolerance. We would use two sets of cuffs overlapping each other for strength, and I had a duster bend two sets once. I got them on before he began to fight. He broke both bones in both arms and didn’t feel a thing. Scary stuff. PCP, or phencyclidine, was designed originally as an elephant tranquilizer.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 11-10-2017 at 12:56 AM..
Old 11-10-2017, 8:43 AM

things like handcuffs/flashlights depend a lot on personal preference. i know i've been through a bunch of different lights through the years before i figured out exactly what i liked. and that changed based on what shift/assignment i worked etc. the best person to choose those item would be your buddy.

i would actually suggest a nice high quality water bottle, like yeti, hydroflask, RTIC etc. you can engrave those with anything. Ive been drinking a lot more water in the car since i've gotten one and i see the health benefits. it also discourages me from going out and buying a soda or energy drink or whatever else thats gonna burn the candle at both ends.

something to think about.
Old 11-11-2017, 6:13 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I am in awe of the guys here who held onto their hooks for so long. They very often vanish or get mixed up with others in large scale events where there are multiple arrests, or when someone needs to be double cuffed. They also get blood and feces and all other matter of bodily excrement on them. I definitely consider them a disposable commodity. I like Peerless better than S&W but both work well. An engraved flashlight is a better gift, but those walk away or vanish too.
Old 11-18-2017, 6:54 AM

I would prefer a good knife...which you can also engrave.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. Until we meet again...