Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 10-11-2017, 3:38 PM

Default Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 Gauge

Hello,

I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 Gauge with the original 26" barrel. I'm looking to get a shorter 20" barrel and a magazine extension kit as well. I've been looking but can't seem to find what i'm looking for in 20 gauge. Where can/should i be looking and what is a good price?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2017, 4:41 PM

Other than your 26inch barrel, there is a 21 inch with vent rib, and an 18 1/2 inch plain barrel.

They are both express barrels, so they have a bead matte finish. Not gloss blue like the wingmaster.

Ebay, Midway and Brownells should have some.

Prices go from $130 to over $200 depending on model and vender.
Old 10-11-2017, 4:57 PM

Sam89,
It's a Wingmaster, not an Express, correct? Really can't help with where to get a shorter barrel and mag extension kit. But, I'd keep the Wingmaster as is and get an Express to work with. Do you know what year your Wingmaster was made? Just selfish thoughts on my part, sorry.
Old 10-11-2017, 5:29 PM

It seems there is very little aftermarket support for the 20 gauge. I'd go with the 21" vent rib barrel and add a bolt on fiber optic sight. Not sure about tube extensions but I'm sure you can find one. eBay has some 20 gauge barrels for $150 or so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2017, 5:51 PM

Depends on the version of Wingmaster that it is. Could be a standard contour, small receiver gun, or could be a light contour barrel on the small receiver. Could be 2-3/4" or 3". Could be the original standard (large) receiver 20 gauge, or could be the small receiver. If you have one of the original, large receiver guns (20ga action on the 12 ga frame), don't mess with it. Those are very nice guns, relatively scarce, and you are not likely to find any barrels for it at anything approaching a reasonable price. Google what you are looking for once you figure out exactly what you have. There is stuff out there.

From Cabela's site:
"Model 870 Barrels with 3" chambers will fit both magnum and 2-3/4" receivers and will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shells with a magnum receiver. (An M at the end of the serial number = magnum receiver.) Use only 2-3/4" shells when barrels are used on 2-3/4" receivers. 870 Special Field barrels and other model 870 barrels are not interchangeable. The 20-ga. lightweight barrels will not fit 20-ga. standard guns. Light contour barrels for the 870 Wingmaster have a weight reduction of more than a 1/2 lb. to improve balance, portability and handling without sacrificing strength or durability. "
Old 10-11-2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky's Dad View Post
Depends on the version of Wingmaster that it is. Could be a standard contour, small receiver gun, or could be a light contour barrel on the small receiver. Could be 2-3/4" or 3". Could be the original standard (large) receiver 20 gauge, or could be the small receiver. If you have one of the original, large receiver guns (20ga action on the 12 ga frame), don't mess with it. Those are very nice guns, relatively scarce, and you are not likely to find any barrels for it at anything approaching a reasonable price. Google what you are looking for once you figure out exactly what you have. There is stuff out there.

From Cabela's site:
"Model 870 Barrels with 3" chambers will fit both magnum and 2-3/4" receivers and will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shells with a magnum receiver. (An M at the end of the serial number = magnum receiver.) Use only 2-3/4" shells when barrels are used on 2-3/4" receivers. 870 Special Field barrels and other model 870 barrels are not interchangeable. The 20-ga. lightweight barrels will not fit 20-ga. standard guns. Light contour barrels for the 870 Wingmaster have a weight reduction of more than a 1/2 lb. to improve balance, portability and handling without sacrificing strength or durability. "
Good points, you are obviously more informed about the 870 20 gauge.

If you choose not to mess with a nice wingmaster, Mossberg makes several models of properly configured 20ga defensive shotguns. 18.5" barrels with 6 shot tubes and 20" with 8 shot.
Old 10-11-2017, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

OP, please don't dick up a 20ga wingmaster. They're pretty rare, and a joy to shoot as is.
Old 10-11-2017, 9:36 PM

I would concur. Please don't do anything to a 20g Wingmaster that can't be undone.

Back in the 90s I could not find a 18 for my Mossberg 500. I located a none rib 26 and had it cut done and a simple bead installed.

I am sure you could go that route. Mag extensions can be fabricated but not cheaply.
Old 10-12-2017, 9:54 AM

Default 870

What are the last four of the serial number including last letter. That will tell you if it is a 12 gauge receiver or a 20 gauge receiver. From there you can start looking for barrels. I agree with some of the others though, would't do anything to that wingmaster that couldn't be undone. hogbody74
Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I inherited this gun and was wanting something with a shorter barrel for home defense. What is the 26" wingmaster really meant to shoot?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:32 PM

Have an early 28" MOD 20 ga. Wingmaster on the original 12 ga. receiver.

Great Dove/Quail/Rabbit gun.

Looked into a 20" CYL Bbl. for it. Went as far as emailing Remington for information. Never received a reply.

Hen's teeth.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 10-12-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Have an early 28" MOD 20 ga. Wingmaster on the original 12 ga. receiver.
I have the same gun with 28" VR Mod barrel, absolutely mint condition. Actually nicer as a dove gun than a similar Model 12.
Remington has no barrels for these guns. Every once in a while, a used barrel pops up on the internet. I think I have seen two barrels in the last twenty years, bought one.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:46 PM

"Inherited". As in an older one. Sam89, does the S/N end with an "X"? If so, leave it be. It's a 20ga built on a 12ga receiver. Damn fine shotgun, if that is what you have. Wingmaster's are excellent pump shotguns. Buy an 870 Express to have as a HD gun. Also, does the barrel have a vent rib or is it plain?
Old 10-12-2017, 5:46 PM

Sell it and go buy a new Mossberg
Old 10-12-2017, 7:35 PM

LOL. Now there is some sound advice.
Old 10-12-2017, 8:36 PM

I have no idea what year it is but the S/N does end with an "X"
Old 10-12-2017, 8:56 PM

With an "X" it's a standard (12 ga) frame.
Barrels can be found at Corson Barrels.
http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/rem870barrels.htm

The magazine extension will be a problem. To the best of my knowledge no one ever made an aftermarket magazine extension for the 20ga, however. I would think that the standard 12ga barrel extension should work on your gun. The "Standard Receivers" should have the same magazine diameters for the 20ga and the 12ga, and "should" be interchangeable. You may want to try the 12ga magazine extension and see if it works. If not, you may have to slip line the magazine for the smaller 20ga ammunition. Sounds like a good project gun.

Best regards,
870Classic.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

Contact user aippi or just go to the website: https://www.aiptactical.com/

I don't know if he'd sell you the stuff you need, but I'm pretty certain he'd tell you what you need to find so you can build it yourself.
Old 10-13-2017, 5:14 AM

OP, you've received a number of ideas and opinions on the matter, so do what you will. But, for the money you're going to spend on converting your Wingmaster, you could buy a new 870 Express with both 28" and 18.5" barrels and be done.
Old 10-13-2017, 5:22 AM
Veteran Member

Sell it to me and buy a mossberg
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 10-13-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
OP, you've received a number of ideas and opinions on the matter, so do what you will. But, for the money you're going to spend on converting your Wingmaster, you could buy a new 870 Express with both 28" and 18.5" barrels and be done.
That's basically it. Since the barrel for your particular gun is rare, as are tube extensions, it will cost as much or more to convert.

Over time, I've found that converting guns is not usually worthwhile. Whether it's caliber conversions, barrels, tubes etc.
Old 10-23-2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky's Dad View Post
I have the same gun with 28" VR Mod barrel, absolutely mint condition. Actually nicer as a dove gun than a similar Model 12...
Same/same.

Got it NOS in the box at a pawn shop on clearance quite a while back.

I'm using it of late as a sheet trainer for my boys.

Same size as the 28" VR MOD 12 ga., but a little lighter to swing and easier on the shoulder.

P.S. Thanks RE: the Bbls...

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 10-23-2017, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Sell it to me and buy a mossberg
Second in line.
Old 10-24-2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam89 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I inherited this gun and was wanting something with a shorter barrel for home defense. What is the 26" wingmaster really meant to shoot?
Upland game. Its a hunter and casual skeet/trap gun. Back in the pre-steel shot days, it would have been great for ducks too. I'd leave as-is - configured for its intended use.

12 gauge is what you want for defense/tactical. That's why all the after-market tactical parts and loads are for 12 gauge
Old 10-24-2017, 7:08 PM

I currently own a standard weight 870 20 gauge, with the original 28" smooth barrel. No sights, no vent, and a rusted stock screw (to receiver). Anyone figure out if for sure we can use 12g extensions on it? If so has anyone had any experience with any +9 extensions? If it's long and pretty mis well make it heavy. I planned to chop it and make it a project but with the classy look and beautiful wood furniture I can't bring myself to do it. Enjoy your 20 gauge, that 870 will last like a tank.
Old 10-25-2017, 6:57 AM
Veteran Member

If this is the 20 gauge frame built on the larger 12 gauge frame, you can use the extended magazine tubes made for the 12 gauge receivers. I know this since I seem to have one of these rarer beasts.. I put a plus 6 tube on mine and use it for manual action division shooting in shotgun only matches. I've occasionally used it in multigun for when I wanted to do something different.
Old 10-25-2017, 8:49 PM

Ty SargenV im planning to order a 12g extension for my 20g standard now.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:38 AM

No one makes barrels for the standard weight 20ga any longer so there are only a few options. Butcher your barrel, find a used barrel and butcher it or simply keep the gun as is and buy another 20ga for defense. You can get a new 870 20ga for almost less then you will put into coming up with a barrel for that one if it has to sent out to be cut down and threaded. You could almost sell the barrel you have if it is in good shape and buy the new gun. I have seen those barrels go for around $300 on gun broker.

I get far to many calls for people looking for these barrels and wonder why if there are so many of them out there why one of the after market barrel makes doesn't offer something. I guess they thing in terms of hundreds of thousands and not simply thousands.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I always encourage people to cut theirs with a hack saw. It makes mine more valuable
Old 10-26-2017, 6:02 PM
Calguns Addict

I also have one of the "X" serial numbered 20 gauges. I got stubborn, did manage to find a barrel on eBay that was damaged at the muzzle enough so that I didn't feel bad about cutting it. It wasn't cheap! A 12 gauge extension fit and worked without any problems. Finding a magazine tube extension clamp that fits is impossible due to the 20's smaller barrel diameter, I would up using a Magpul clamp with added rubber pads against the barrel. It all works just fine and it's fun to hand it to someone who fires it, expecting 12 gauge recoil. The look on their face is priceless! My thread on it is here; sorry about the lack of pics there but you can blame Photobucket for that. Pic of it and a couple of other project shotguns should be below; I've fitted a magazine tube extension clamp since the pic was taken.

Project Shotguns cropped.jpg

For the purists' sake, let it be known that the original barrel, barrel nut, and mag spring have been carefully put away. No way would I have cut my original barrel.

OP, the advice about the cost of a barrel and so forth is good advice indeed. While I'm not sorry that I spent the money (I certainly could have purchased a LW 20 ga. for what I spent!), if I were contemplating the same project today, I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 10-26-2017 at 6:12 PM..
Old 10-27-2017, 2:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I will buy asap. No joke.