Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2017, 6:28 AM

Default Sola scriptura

Can someone explain to me why one should believe this doctrine.
Old 10-06-2017, 6:35 AM

In short, the Scriptures are inerrant and infallible. Men on the other hand are very error prone and very fallible. Therefore, the words and doctrines of men are wrought full of errors and should not be completely trusted. I'm not saying men are always wrong. I'm just saying they are quite capable of being wrong and the Scriptures are not. So, one should be very careful when trusting the traditions of men. One does not have to worry about trusting the Word of God.
Old 10-06-2017, 6:46 AM

I have been searching the Bible and have been unable to find this doctrine. Can someone point me to the verse(s) that instruct on this doctrine?
Old 10-06-2017, 8:16 AM

Acts 17:11
Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

The Bereans would not take the word of a man at face value. the searched the scriptures for validation and if it wan't there then they didn't believe it. I'm sure others will chime in. The Scriptures used to define this Doctrine are contained in Chapter 1 of the Westminster Confession of Faith.
Old 10-06-2017, 8:58 AM

I have been really digging into this of late. The scriptures being referred to here (Acts 17:11) by first century Christians is the Septuagint. The Bible, as it exists today (New Testament), did not come together until almost 400 A.D.

That being said, I am still looking for those passages.

Last edited by DTENG; 10-06-2017 at 9:16 AM..
Old 10-06-2017, 9:26 AM

Correct. That's all they had in those days. What makes them inaccurate? Or why would they not be regarded as Sola Scripture since they are part of the scriptura? Why aren't they the passages you're looking for?
Old 10-06-2017, 9:29 AM

Okay, I have found a couple of passages that actually contradict Sola scriptura.

The first is 2 Thessalonians 2:14 Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle (letter).

The second is 1 Timothy 3:16 but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Hmm, I need to keep digging.
Old 10-06-2017, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMCLAP View Post
Correct. That's all they had in those days. What makes them inaccurate? Or why would they not be regarded as Sola Scripture since they are part of the scriptura? Why aren't they the passages you're looking for?
These men were all Jewish. They are referring to the Old Testament. The New Testament did not exist yet. As a matter of fact, it seems they are receiving Christian teaching by mouth (since the New Testament did not exist) and confirming what is being said by looking at the Old Testament.

I am studying the history of the Church. I don't think I can ignore the history of the Church when studying scripture.

I always accepted the doctrine of Sola scriptura, but as I study Church history and scripture more closely I am finding problems.

Last edited by DTENG; 10-06-2017 at 9:47 AM..
Old 10-06-2017, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTENG View Post
I always accepted the doctrine of Sola scriptura, but as I study Church history and scripture more closely I am finding problems.
There are no problems with the Bible:

John 10:35 (KJV)
"...and the scripture cannot be broken;" -Jesus

2 Timothy 3:16 (NIV)
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Paul amongst others, was a Holy man chosen by God. He taught, rebuked and corrected others righteously:

Acts 9:15-16 (NIV)
But the Lord said to Ananias, "Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. 16-I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.”

2 Peter 1:21 (NKJV)
for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Your confusion rests solely with the unrighteous will of falable men, not God:

Job 38:2 (NIV)
“Who is this that obscures my plans with words without knowledge?

1 Corinthians 2:5 (NIV)
so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God's power.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-Trump. Get some...
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 10-06-2017 at 7:52 PM..
Old 10-06-2017, 8:43 PM

I don't think there are any problems with the Bible either. I am having a problem finding support for the doctrine of Sola scriptura. Those are all great versus, but not one of them claims Sola scriptura.
Old 10-07-2017, 6:00 AM

Great question / discussion. To add to what others I have written above, and I agree with, I'll add my thought! DTENG, the Bible is not written like instruction manuals and books were used to. What you'll find is that (1) the existence and authority of God is proclaimed (not argued for) throughout the Bible. It is revealed to us. (2) Jesus Christ is the "Word" of God (John 1:1-4). The Holy Spirit is the author of Scripture (1 Cor. 2:1-16). Obviously, I'm not proving anything now, just pointing it out. These are full areas of theology to study! BUT, suffice it to say, the Bible reveals to us that God and His Word are one-and-the-same AND He is the ultimate (through men) author of Scripture. (3) Throughout the Bible, some local in nature, some global in nature, are proclamations of the inerrancy, sufficiency, infallibility, etc. of Scripture: Sola Scriptura. Some examples:

Deut. t4:2 “You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Psalm 119:89 Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven.

1 Cor. 14:37 If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord’s commandment.

Revelation 22:18 I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

(4) The writers of Scripture consistently and constantly proclaim ONLY the sufficiency of Scripture in their lives. Read ALL of Psalm 119! Read Psalm 19:7-14!

I'll leave you with the words of Moses in his last words to the Israelites right before they entered the promised land with Joshua (and Moses died). I love these words and use them often in sermons!

Dt30:8 “And you shall again obey the LORD, and observe all His commandments which I command you today. 9 “Then the LORD your God will prosper you abundantly in all the work of your hand, in the offspring of your body and in the offspring of your cattle and in the produce of your ground, for the LORD will again rejoice over you for good, just as He rejoiced over your fathers; 10 if you obey the LORD your God to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this book of the law, if you turn to the LORD your God with all your heart and soul. 11 “For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach. 12 “It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will go up to heaven for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?’ 13 “Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will cross the sea for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?’ 14 “But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it.

God bless,
Bill
Old 10-07-2017, 6:54 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor

It might be worthwhile for you to research the rules that the Jewish scribes had to follow when making copies; they are...extreme.
Old 10-07-2017, 7:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Neither will you find the term "Trinity" in Old or New Testament, search as you might. Similarly, Sola scripture is a theological finding predicated upon academic study and empirical data by the likes of Martin Luther and others who spent lifetimes searching out the subject. Making a serious theological inquiry on a website dedicated to gun ownership is a curiosity to me, given the many other available online venues dedicated to Biblical theology. If you are serious and have not already done so, try:
theologyforums.com
theologyonline.com
carm.org

Best success
Old 10-07-2017, 11:47 AM

Here is a link to 67 different articles and pod cast on Sola Scriptura.
https://www.monergism.com/search?key...=topic%3A30839
Old 10-07-2017, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considerizer View Post
Neither will you find the term "Trinity" in Old or New Testament, search as you might.
So true.

However there is scripture that absolutely professes the doctrine of the Trinity, without using that word “Trinity.” There are actually 3 verses that are specific to The Triune God, 4 if you count the comma Johanneum in the KJV, where many don’t:

Matthew 28:19 (NIV)
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

1 Corinthians 12:4-6 (NIV)
There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5-There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6-There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

2 Corinthians 13:14 (NIV)
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

1 John 5:7 (KJV)
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-Trump. Get some...
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-08-2017, 11:22 AM

I really appreciate the responses. Looking back, however, I think I may not have been clear about my doubts. My doubt stems from the idea that the Bible alone "Sola" provides all of God's truth. This is what I cannot find in the Bible.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Bible actually seems to refute this doctrine.
Old 10-10-2017, 9:25 AM

Well, computers are a wonderful thing when it comes to doing searches. Try as I might, I cannot find a single verse that supports the doctrine of Sola scriptura (that the Bible alone provides all of God's truth). If the Bible alone provides all of God's truth, it would have also conveyed this doctrine.

As a side note, the Bible also does not list all of the books that should be contained in the Bible??? So again, the doctrine of Sola scriptura fails.

At this point, for me, this doctrine makes no sense and is not Biblical.

That being said, a key verse that needs to be understood is 1 Timothy 3:16. It seems clear from this verse that the foundation of truth is not the Bible, but the church.