Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-14-2017, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TomT_ View Post
Man that LB looks nice, what holster do you use to make it look worn around the sharp edges of the gun?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
Thanks TomT. We do not holster it. The previous owner of this LB was my brother. He bought it in a like new condition. The faded bluing was probably a result of using M-Pro 7 cleaner during the course of his ownership.
Les Baers are notorious for having a soft bluing. The blue wears of rather quickly. Shove it in a holster a few times and you'll get wear. Some people who love to keep their guns pristine hate them. But, others who appreciate a worn look love it. I fall into the latter category. A Les Baer is one of the few guns that have real blue finish and is relatively inexpensive (as semi-custom guns go). A leather holster will give it a nice overall wear pattern while a kydex will have some very noticeable sharper wear patterns.

Quote:
Oh okay ty. I see a les baer in my future just no in this state due to roster.
Les Baer makes 10 California specific 1911's. www.lesbaer.com. Call Crazy John at 1911 Heaven and see what he has in stock. CALL him as he doesn't respond to emails unless it's for an order already in process. https://cj1911heaven.com/LesBaerInventory.html

You can even order one and have it customized to your specs. That's what I did. Or, check out some local shops and they may carry Baers in stock from time to time.

Hope this helps in your search for a Baer!

Now back to your regularly programmed schedule...

ETA: Sorry to cross-post, but here's a thread with a ton of pics of a 30k Baer with a lot of holster work. Gorgeous if you ask me!!! https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=620137
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)

Last edited by XDJYo; 09-14-2017 at 8:20 PM.. Reason: Added additional link
Old 09-14-2017, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Les Baers are notorious for having a soft bluing. The blue wears of rather quickly. Shove it in a holster a few times and you'll get wear. Some people who love to keep their guns pristine hate them. But, others who appreciate a worn look love it. I fall into the latter category. A Les Baer is one of the few guns that have real blue finish and is relatively inexpensive (as semi-custom guns go). A leather holster will give it a nice overall wear pattern while a kydex will have some very noticeable sharper wear patterns.

Les Baer makes 10 California specific 1911's. www.lesbaer.com. Call Crazy John at 1911 Heaven and see what he has in stock. CALL him as he doesn't respond to emails unless it's for an order already in process. https://cj1911heaven.com/LesBaerInventory.html

You can even order one and have it customized to your specs. That's what I did. Or, check out some local shops and they may carry Baers in stock from time to time.

Hope this helps in your search for a Baer!

Now back to your regularly programmed schedule...

ETA: Sorry to cross-post, but here's a thread with a ton of pics of a 30k Baer with a lot of holster work. Gorgeous if you ask me!!! https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=620137
Haha I kinda already know what I wanted, and a Monolith heavyweight isn't on the roster.
Old 09-15-2017, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Haha I kinda already know what I wanted, and a Monolith heavyweight isn't on the roster.

A Monolith??? Heck, that's a rare breed indeed! Keep an eye out on the classifieds. I know of a few Calgunners who bought them SSE.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 09-26-2017, 3:41 PM

Default Quick Outting with my Springfield Professional

*Update:

I had a last minute opening and was able to head out to FT3 for an hour. Of course in my rush, I forgot a rest that everyone suggested. But I was able to take it out to 25 yards. The first picture with the center (group went into bottom left) and top two, the top two are 7 yards again. The center is 25 yards unsupported.

The other picture, the groups are all 7 yards. The center target was the RO who said "he was the best shot there was around"

I'm still waiting on a reply from SA. I need to just call those guys.

300 rounds in and all beautifully low and left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by EMR; 09-26-2017 at 3:51 PM..
Old 09-26-2017, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Judging from the group size on the center of the first target that was shot from 25 yards, I conclude that it's the gun.
Old 09-26-2017, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Judging from the group size on the center of the first target that was shot from 25 yards, I conclude that it's the gun.

Even though I didn't have a rest, I'm still leaning that direction.

Also, even though in the original post I said I don't flinch, I realize that at 25 yards, I'm willing to admit the two low left shots are flinches

Old 09-26-2017, 7:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

MosinVirus has a ransom rest. Maybe hit him up OP? Bribe him with ammos!
Old 09-26-2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
MosinVirus has a ransom rest. Maybe hit him up OP? Bribe him with ammos!

I gathered from this thread that he's in LA county. That and the fact that I have two jobs (one at nights), a three month old, a two year old and a wife that's in Med school full time, I don't really have much time to hang with anyone at all otherwise i totally would!

Old 09-27-2017, 12:22 PM

Just got off the phone with SA. It'll be headed back to the mother ship. I'll update this thread when I have answers.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Shoot it with your other hand and see if shoots the same or if suddenly the groups are on the other side of the target.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 09-27-2017, 5:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
I gathered from this thread that he's in LA county. That and the fact that I have two jobs (one at nights), a three month old, a two year old and a wife that's in Med school full time, I don't really have much time to hang with anyone at all otherwise i totally would!

Holy CARP I got tired just reading that..... Also, you used up 50% of your free time for the month in this thread
Old 10-03-2017, 8:43 AM

I just got notification from SA: the sights were off! +$3k and not even solid out of the box....

Old 10-03-2017, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Holy CARP I got tired just reading that..... Also, you used up 50% of your free time for the month in this thread

Yup. This is why every range outting is impromptu and is usually only 100 rounds or less

Old 10-04-2017, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just got notification from SA: the sights were off! +$3k and not even solid out of the box....

Sucks when something like this happens. I had this happen with my Les Baer. A lot of time/money/ammo spent fixing it. Couldnít get LB to step up. Hit him on a bad day. Glad SA is standing behind it.

Need range and target pics when itís back!
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-04-2017, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Sucks when something like this happens. I had this happen with my Les Baer. A lot of time/money/ammo spent fixing it. Couldnít get LB to step up. Hit him on a bad day. Glad SA is standing behind it.

Need range and target pics when itís back!

Iíll be sure to have new target pics when I can.

Thatís disappointing that Les wouldnít stand behind their product. I was actually looking hard at a Les Baer when I saw my Professional sitting in the corner of the display case. Despite SAís political fallout, you canít knock their customer service.

Old 10-04-2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:

Thatís disappointing that Les wouldnít stand behind their product. I was actually looking hard at a Les Baer when I saw my Professional sitting in the corner of the display case. Despite SAís political fallout, you canít knock their customer service.

These days, even companies that manufacture pricey products don't stand behind their products - unless you make a lot of noise & get nasty.

With my Wilson, the first Rep I spoke to suggested that I get hammer & punch & move the sight myself. Then, I wrote to Bill Wilson. A week later Mr. Wilson personally phoned me & apologized. Then they replaced the sight.
It's the old "Squeaky wheel getting the grease" story.
Old 10-04-2017, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yes, VERY disappointing. It really took the wind out of my sails. For the cost of everything I put into it, I couldíve bought a Pro! Sheesh! (2014 prices). But, Iíve heard phenomenal stories of Les doing the right thing. I just caught him on a bad day. Fortunately, Rob Schauland was still in business at Alchemy and he got my LB up and running right. He used to work at SA and LB and knows a properly fit pistol. Heís now at a real high end shop that I canít remember now. They made the meteorite 1911(!).

Anyways, in spite of all of that, I still love that thing and itís my favorite gun out of my modest collection.

Happy shooting and be safe.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-06-2017, 3:10 PM

Got my pistol back from the mother ship today. I won't be able to take out until next week to confirm the sights.

They did end up replacing the front sight and adjusting the rear sights. The rear sight used to sit dead center in the slide. Now it's definitely not!

I have to say that the customer service was great. No questions asked, door to door turn around in 9 calendar days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
These days, even companies that manufacture pricey products don't stand behind their products - unless you make a lot of noise & get nasty.

With my Wilson, the first Rep I spoke to suggested that I get hammer & punch & move the sight myself. Then, I wrote to Bill Wilson. A week later Mr. Wilson personally phoned me & apologized. Then they replaced the sight.
It's the old "Squeaky wheel getting the grease" story.
Sounds like a customer service representative without the customer service. Though it's unfortunate it took you writing a letter, I do appreciate the fact that Bill took the time to actually call you himself!

Quote:
Yes, VERY disappointing. It really took the wind out of my sails. For the cost of everything I put into it, I couldíve bought a Pro! Sheesh! (2014 prices). But, Iíve heard phenomenal stories of Les doing the right thing. I just caught him on a bad day. Fortunately, Rob Schauland was still in business at Alchemy and he got my LB up and running right. He used to work at SA and LB and knows a properly fit pistol. Heís now at a real high end shop that I canít remember now. They made the meteorite 1911(!).
I actually just read on Wiki that LB used to be one of the first directors over at the SA Custom Shop. Based on how opposite our stories are, it still makes me glad I went SA over LB overall. Though I'll still likely end up picking up a LB in the future
Old 10-06-2017, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

The rear sight used to sit dead center in the slide. Now it's definitely not!

That's suck.
Old 10-07-2017, 8:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeeds View Post
Kind of sucks that you can shoot tighter and more accurate groups with your Glock vs a $3,500+ SA Pro. I'm beginning to think that spending more money on a gun doesn't mean it will shoot better. In my case, I can't shoot my Wilson Combat CQB Elite any more accurately than my Kimber Tactical Custom II. But I can sure shoot my CGW CZ 97B Copperhead better than all my other .45's.
+100

The same can be said for rifles.

My HK Expert 45 shoots noticeably better than any of my other guns. I think it is/was worth what I paid for it, but I would have liked to get it for the same price as people got them for in Southern California.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 10-09-2017, 3:30 PM

Final update:

Took it for a quick spin after SA adjusting the rear sight and installing a lower front sight post.

Muuuch better!

All groups are one mag, at 7 yards. The center is 50ft. All unsupported (forgot a make shift rest again )
Old 10-09-2017, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Final update:

Took it for a quick spin after SA adjusting the rear sight and installing a lower front sight post.

Muuuch better!

All groups are one mag, at 7 yards. The center is 50ft. All unsupported (forgot a make shift rest again )
Fantastic! Looking good! Now you can sit back, relax and put those rounds down range with confidence!
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-09-2017, 3:51 PM

Sweet. Good to see SA solved your issue.
Colt LE6920CMPS-B
Arsenal SAM7R-61
Mossberg 500 Tactical 8 Shot
*** Bolt Action Rifle Coming Soon... ***
Old 10-09-2017, 4:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice shooting, nice gun! Glad you got it resolved. Enjoy and stay safe.
Old 10-09-2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRicky85 View Post
Sweet. Good to see SA solved your issue.

Quote:
Fantastic! Looking good! Now you can sit back, relax and put those rounds down range with confidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger945 View Post
Nice shooting, nice gun! Glad you got it resolved. Enjoy and stay safe.

Thanks guys! And thanks for everyoneís help
Old 10-09-2017, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Nice shooting!
So how much adjustment to the sight(s) SA made? Just curious.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Nice shooting!
So how much adjustment to the sight(s) SA made? Just curious.

This much. It used to be pretty much in the center.
Old 10-10-2017, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing EMR. It is not that bad.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Wow. That is pretty bad. I didnít know it was that screwed up. I can take care of it for you. $450 and Iíll cover the DROS fees. That way you wonít have to deal with the headaches.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-10-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Wow. That is pretty bad. I didnít know it was that screwed up. I can take care of it for you. $450 and Iíll cover the DROS fees. That way you wonít have to deal with the headaches.

Headaches are gone. But Iíll keep that offer in mind. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Headaches are gone. But Iíll keep that offer in mind. Thanks!
Make sure you get a 2nd opinion. Those headaches can return without any trigger. It may make you want to pop off a few rounds or just sit there and rack the slide back and forth in the dark while you contemplate what your next big ammo purchase will be. 45 ACP FMJ or JHP? 1 or 2 cases? You'll need Ballistol to go along with all that shooting. Same with bore brushes and patches. Better stock up at Midway. Wheres Active Junky's rebate at now? Since you're ordering, kydex or leather holster? IWB or OWB?
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-11-2017, 5:37 AM

How is the centering of the front sight?

I really like most of the reports on the Professionals, but like most havent made that jump to the financial threshold needed. I have got a few Baers off the board here used and they are great. Had one of them that had a machining issue with either the "Bomar" rear sight or the fit to the slide, and Les never got back with me. Apparently he has the final say with warranty issues. I ended up fixing it myself. That hasnt stopped me from buying a few more used ones though.

Looking at your groups from the other pistols you have o.p. would have given me the impression the problem was with your sights too. Glad they took care of you. I have had good response from Springfield in the past too.
Old 10-11-2017, 8:24 AM

Quote:
I'd talk to SA and ask them to explain why they needed to move the rear sight that much. I've own numerous 1911s and have never needed to adjust the rear sight off center. I'd be concerned that the sight offset is covering up a more major machining defect: barrel, slide, lock up, etc.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT4ME View Post
I'd talk to SA and ask them to explain why they needed to move the rear sight that much. I've own numerous 1911s and have never needed to adjust the rear sight off center. I'd be concerned that the sight offset is covering up a more major machining defect: barrel, slide, lock up, etc.
Exactly what I was thinking. The back of the sight looks like it's perfectly centered. But the dovetail is where it's off.
Old 10-11-2017, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. The back of the sight looks like it's perfectly centered. But the dovetail is where it's off.

Quote:

Thereís no issue with the dovetail itself. The sight is straight and tight. Itís simply adjusted to the side.

And how I look at it is this: 400 rounds and it shoots 100%, so Iím not worried about hidden issues. Besides, they have a lifetime warranty
Old 10-11-2017, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^ I like your outlook - makes life simpler!
Old 10-11-2017, 9:02 PM

If I'm going to invest in a SA custom I'd want perfection. This gun is not, however, it's not my gun so good luck.
Old 10-11-2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
If I'm going to invest in a SA custom I'd want perfection. This gun is not, however, it's not my gun so good luck.

You do you.