Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Riflegear.com
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Riflegear.com Hosted by Riflegear.com

Old 09-27-2017, 6:11 PM

Default New website design

So glad you guys switched back. The new website was not as eye appealing as before.
Old 09-27-2017, 9:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I didn't complain about the new look, but it was awful. I'm glad they went back to the old one. Sometimes making changes for the sake of making a change is one of the worst things you can do. I never had a problem with the old website on PC or using it with mobile.
Old 09-28-2017, 2:00 PM

Yes, thanks for going back RG I hated navigating that New layover.
Old 09-29-2017, 6:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

The website has issues and we are going to have to upgrade, but the main reason we switched in the first place is because we moved to a new accounting system that included an integrated website. That system did not work out for us so we switched back to our old system. The website will need to be upgraded soon, but we will try to maintain as much of the existing look and functionality as possible, but we REALLY need a mobile-ready responsive design. The current website is practically unusable on a small mobile phone.

www.riflegear.com
Old 10-03-2017, 8:10 PM

I'm also glad you guys switched back, but here are my reasons.
  • There were too many drop down features. I liked the way all the filter options were open and on the left pane to simply click on. The new filters were all in drop down menus to find.
  • Too many pop up menus. It didn't take much effort to inadvertently move the cursor over something that popped up a menu that covered a good portion of the screen.
  • The inventory status required more navigating. The old site would show the stock status with the item. And when the item was clicked it would show which store had them and how many up front. The new site required a couple more steps which included selecting a store for inventory. The old site displayed this information at a glance.
  • I like showing all items on one page, once that option was selected on the old website it stayed like that. The new website always defaulted to 12 items per page. Having to hit the drop down menu to show all items all the time was annoying.
  • I didn't think the old version was that bad on the phone. The new version did not work with my default mobile browser. I had to switch to Chrome.
Old 10-04-2017, 5:33 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanueva_Arms View Post
I'm also glad you guys switched back, but here are my reasons.
  • There were too many drop down features. I liked the way all the filter options were open and on the left pane to simply click on. The new filters were all in drop down menus to find.
  • Too many pop up menus. It didn't take much effort to inadvertently move the cursor over something that popped up a menu that covered a good portion of the screen.
  • The inventory status required more navigating. The old site would show the stock status with the item. And when the item was clicked it would show which store had them and how many up front. The new site required a couple more steps which included selecting a store for inventory. The old site displayed this information at a glance.
  • I like showing all items on one page, once that option was selected on the old website it stayed like that. The new website always defaulted to 12 items per page. Having to hit the drop down menu to show all items all the time was annoying.
  • I didn't think the old version was that bad on the phone. The new version did not work with my default mobile browser. I had to switch to Chrome.
Thanks for the input. Google considers our website "not mobile friendly" and they penalize sites in their page ranking algorithm because of that. Since we are sticking with the same website platform, the changes coming should be more evolutionary and less revolutionary. It's pretty common for modern "responsive" websites to reconfigure the menus so that they stack vertically when reduced to a small device. Having to constantly zoom in and out just to move through the menus is not practical on most phones, but tends to be ok on a decent sized tablet.

For example go to Amazon.com on your PC and search for "cell phone case" for example. All the filters are stacked on the left, same as our current website. Then do the same search on your phone and you have to click a "filters" link, and the filters fill the entire screen. Click on one of the filter categories like "brand" and the list of brands fills another screen, etc... This is what they call a "responsive" design. The screens reconfigure themselves based upon the size of the display.

Whatever we do, we will add a "Full Site" link somewhere on the main page so people that like to view a tiny version of the desktop website can still do so.

www.riflegear.com
Old 10-04-2017, 9:14 PM

Sounds good, glad to hear you guys value your customer's needs.