Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 PM

Default anyone here eod?

was in dep with the navy for eod past the pst didnt need any waivers then the chief at the recruiting station said i couldn't go eod because i had been out of the country to much
which was bs and they just wanted to fill another job
now im talking to an air force recruiter about eod and no one seems to know anything about it and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on it
Old 01-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Probably has to do more with the security clearance required for EOD, rather than a requirement for EOD itself. Pretty sure EOD requires a Secret clearance at minimum, which entails a rather lengthy and expensive background check. Investigators are actually assigned to go out and dig into your past for anything that might pose a security risk. Having lots of travel outside of the U.S., as well as foreign contacts complicates the investigation quite a bit.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

FJMBT explained a good reason, however, I think that you did not qualify for EOD and the Chief did not want to be blunt and tell you that so he sugar coated it and gave you some BS reason.
I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas711 View Post
Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN CHIEF View Post
FJMBT explained a good reason, however, I think that you did not qualify for EOD and the Chief did not want to be blunt and tell you that so he sugar coated it and gave you some BS reason.
i have 0 history with the law ive gotten one parking ticket
i pasted the pst with flying colors i have a perfect med history i have nothing hidden in my background
my recruiter even said to go to another district and they would take me for eod
my recruiter said they had filled all there requirements for eod and needed to fill aviation mechanic which is what he wanted me to take
edit
and i wana say a few months ago my recruiter said i was fine for secret clearance

Last edited by didustealmymonky; 02-01-2009 at 12:08 AM..
Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by didustealmymonky View Post
i have 0 history with the law ive gotten one parking ticket
i pasted the pst with flying colors i have a perfect med history i have nothing hidden in my background
my recruiter even said to go to another district and they would take me for eod
my recruiter said they had filled all there requirements for eod and needed to fill aviation mechanic which is what he wanted me to take
edit
and i wana say a few months ago my recruiter said i was fine for secret clearance
Wow, that is weird then. Don't know much about recruiting since I have never done it but it sounds like you need to talk to another recruiter. That would be my best advice. Good luck.
I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas711 View Post
Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.
Old 02-02-2009, 3:49 PM

Location: home from hell...cant believe i missed this commie state.

How was your ASVAB Scores?
AF EOD is one of the hardest academic schools, really high wash rate.
I work with them all the time on route clearing. Good guys. The job would only be fun if you like blowing sht up
Old 02-02-2009, 5:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Why don't you try EOD with the Army?
Old 02-02-2009, 8:15 PM
Calguns Addict

You want EOD?

If youve got the scores you can have it.

Did you sign a contract with the Navy? Was it an open contract or did you have your job guarnteed?
Old 02-02-2009, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

EOD requires a Top Secret Clearance. I am most likely going to go >EOD when I get back from this deployment. There is a Guard EOD unit in Fresno.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 02-02-2009, 9:36 PM

What are some of the countries you've been to?

I was a CTI in the Navy and knew a lot of people that lived overseas who were still able to get their TS/SCI clearances. One guy lived in Japan and spent some time in China, not to mention has Chinese friends. His clearance was delayed but he later became a linguist.

Was it the Chief at the recruiting station that told you that? Try another recruiting station if possible.

It's been a couple years since I was in the Navy, but EOD requires you to join as another rate. Mineman (MN) , Boatswain's Mate are popular choices.

Last edited by jrcarr2; 02-02-2009 at 9:39 PM..
Old 02-03-2009, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack331 View Post
How was your ASVAB Scores?
AF EOD is one of the hardest academic schools, really high wash rate.
I work with them all the time on route clearing. Good guys. The job would only be fun if you like blowing sht up
talked to a af recruiter and have a dq with there eod program
Old 02-03-2009, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
You want EOD?

If youve got the scores you can have it.

Did you sign a contract with the Navy? Was it an open contract or did you have your job guarnteed?
i signed up as air rescue then got my eod contract after passing the pst
Old 02-03-2009, 9:29 PM

Last edited by didustealmymonky; 12-05-2012 at 10:20 PM..
Old 02-03-2009, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLogan View Post
Why don't you try EOD with the Army?
i had talked to an army recruiter about eod,
call me ignorant but i dont know much about army my family is all squids and af and just always heard that the army gets the ****tyest living conditions food jobs etc
could you shed a little more light for me?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by didustealmymonky View Post
i had talked to an army recruiter about eod,
call me ignorant but i dont know much about army my family is all squids and af and just always heard that the army gets the ****tyest living conditions food jobs etc
could you shed a little more light for me?
That's not true, and it all depends on where you get stationed. Even in the Navy or AF, you could end up with a crappy duty station and assignment. The Army has a great EOD team, with great new technology, and the training is high speed.

MOS 89D, check it out: http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=147
Old 02-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Nailed on the head.

EOD requires TS/SCI. Also got to have a good credit history and other doodads. I'm not sure how EOD runs in the other branches, but Marines require to lat-move into it (unless thats changed).

Not that I'm calling the quality of your character into person, but your chief brought up a legitimate point. Investigating an individual for a TS/SCI requires a very time and cost intensive background check. Did you go to all those countries after the age of 18? IF so, it will be a pain in the *** to check you out, but it CAN be done, if you want the job find a recruiter thats willing to push you through.

Just try to recall everything to the fullest extent when you fill out the EPSQ, and make sure you let your buddies know that a man (or in some cases, a hot freaking chick) with a suit and sunglasses might come talking to them. On that note, when you list contacts/friends for the investigators to contact, don't list a drinking buddy, a pothead, or someone retarded. They might crack a few stupid jokes and ruin your background check

Yay for corry station.
Old 02-10-2009, 7:26 PM

I am Marine EOD....

EOD is a good program. If you were drawn to it, you have your reasons. While all services attend the same basic school, that is where most of the similarities end.

If you found yourself wanting to go Navy EOD....do it.
Navy EOD is Special Operations for the Navy. Their EOD programs are decent; their greatest strengths do not lie in their EOD skills but their well rounded training and diverse skill sets. When serving with Special Operations Forces Navy EOD is usually with SEAL Teams. Alot of these guys are mid to late twenties before they go EOD.

Marine EOD is good for those that are willing to be Marines first. That is you must have served 4 years+ in the Marine Corps as well be a Sergeant before you can try out / apply for EOD. Marine EOD being the smallest generally, gets deployed at a higher op tempo than the other services, though this is not always the case. Marine EOD walks the line as far as Special Operations, some guys are, some guys are not. When serving with Special Operations Forces Marine EOD usually is with Marine Special Operations Command and Reconnaissance Units. Alot of these guys are mid to late twenties before they go EOD.

Army EOD is pretty solid for their conventional EOD tasks. They do take guys right out of boot camp. Many of their guys are really young.

Air Force EOD's greatest strength is runway clearance and U. S. dropped ordnance. They take people right out of basic. Many of their guys are really young.

EOD is a good program. Bias aside, I think the Marines and the Navy have the best programs by far due to the rapid evolvement of their programs to be relevant to todays wars. If you are interested in going EOD right away, perhaps because of money, then the Navy route is ideal.

The biggest challenge in getting to EOD school for the Navy and Marines is physical. The biggest challenge in getting to EOD school for the Air Force and Army is mental; the reason is most of their guys are very young. Once prospective EOD are at the schoolhouse, the challenge is simply passing each test, learning each lesson. If you make it, you go on to additional pipeline schools and courses for the Navy and Marines.

We all do the same basic school, though Navy EOD does some underwater stuff.

What we do when we leave school is often much different. Marines operate actively with ground forces, direct action, etc. Navy can do the same when they are assigned to Marine teams; otherwise they don't do much on land unless they are assigned to SEAL or SF teams. Army and Air Force teams are very tightly managed by their commanders; they often strickly do IED and weapons cahces, not direct action, raids, etc.

If EOD is what you want and you have good test scores, you better start running and doing calisthetics or Crossfit. Navy basic training is a joke, but you would go to Dive school after your A school; that's no joke. The fun only continues.

But if was easy, who would want it? You would just pick a different program.

go for what you want

Edited for clarity

Last edited by EODGrunt; 02-12-2009 at 6:57 AM..