Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Default Compensator makes AW now?

Buddy just sent me some grainy screenshot of his computer and he is saying that the new regs state "if any flash can be redirected its a suppressor" and claims there is no mention of compensators....hence compensators now make assault weapons.

I come before the orcacle of Calguns because this dude is a one-man FUD factory and I seek clarification. What say ye?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

If it reduces flash it's a flash hider, if it doesn't then you are good.
I know your ban hammer is cold hammer forged and chrome lined, im not messin with it!

Last edited by LeadFarmer74; 05-19-2017 at 11:32 AM..
Old 05-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Not accurate. Redirected from the shooter's view is what matters.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Full of ****.
Old 05-19-2017, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Not accurate. Redirected from the shooter's view is what matters.
A muzzle brake that diverts the gas to the sides would likely be considered a flash suppressor under the new regulations since the flash would definitely be diverted from the shooter's view. This has the potential to suck in a lot more firearms as AWs. I suspect there have been some firearms sold since January that are now considered AWs since they have an evil muzzle gas diverter.

This seems to be the way DOJ has backed into the expired federal AW ban where you couldn't even purchase an AR with a threaded barrel.

I see a lot of inadvertent felons on the horizon...
Old 05-19-2017, 8:20 PM

It seems to me that it's entirely up to DOJ as to whether something is a flash suppressor. It then becomes your all-too-real problem to prove that it isn't.
Old 05-19-2017, 8:53 PM
In Memoriam

Existing CCR:

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Doc...ta=(sc.Default)

§ 5469. Definitions.
11 CA ADC § 5469BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS

The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant to Penal Code section 30515:
(a) “Detachable magazine” means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine.
(b) “Flash suppressor” means any device designed, intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision.
(c) “Forward pistol grip” means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp forward of the trigger.
(d) “Pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon” means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing.
(e) “Thumbhole stock” means a stock with a hole that allows the thumb of the trigger hand to penetrate into or through the stock while firing.

Proposed regs add on to b) above...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ulation%20.pdf

"Flash suppressor" means anv device attached to the'end of the barrel, that is designed,intended, or functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter'sfield of vision. A hybrid device that has either advertised flash su~pressin~properties orfunctionally has flash suppressingproperties would be deemed a flash suppressor. Adevice labeled or identified by its manufacturer as a flash hider would be deemed a flashsuppressor.

The core element of "functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision" seems to have not changed.

-- Michael
Old 05-19-2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
A muzzle brake that diverts the gas to the sides would likely be considered a flash suppressor under the new regulations since the flash would definitely be diverted from the shooter's view. This has the potential to suck in a lot more firearms as AWs. I suspect there have been some firearms sold since January that are now considered AWs since they have an evil muzzle gas diverter.

This seems to be the way DOJ has backed into the expired federal AW ban where you couldn't even purchase an AR with a threaded barrel.

I would be interested in seeing some details as to why you think this would be the case. What specifically has changed?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:57 PM
Calguns Addict

The PC definition is very similar as from SB23, but the expanded rationale from the DOJ to include the characteristics of a "hybrid device" would seem to support the inclusion of some muzzle brakes as flash suppressors. This is something that they struggled with when the DOJ wrote the SB23 regulations at a time when the DOJ wasn't nearly as hostile as they are today.

Old
Quote:
“Flash suppressor” means any device designed, intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision.
New
Quote:
"Flash suppressor" means. any device attached to the end of the barrel, that is designed, intended, or functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter`s field of vision. A hybrid device that has either advertised flash suppressing properties or functionally has flash suppressing properties would be deemed a flash suppressor. A device labeled or identified by its manufacturer as a flash hider would be deemed a flash suppressor.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

A muzzle brake with side ports is still perfectly fine. It is not designed, intended or functions to perceptible redirect muzzle flash from the shooters field of vision. Just because the flash goes sideways, the flash is still completely in the field of view.

(b) “Flash suppressor” means any device designed, intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision.
Old 05-20-2017, 5:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
A muzzle brake with side ports is still perfectly fine. It is not designed, intended or functions to perceptible redirect muzzle flash from the shooters field of vision. Just because the flash goes sideways, the flash is still completely in the field of view.

A more correct, and not so much to do with the shooter really:

A flash suppressor, also known as a flash guard, flash eliminator, flash hider, or flash cone, is a device attached to the muzzle of a rifle that reduces its visible signature while firing by cooling or dispersing the burning gases that exit the muzzle, a phenomenon typical of carbine-length weapons.

A.W.D.
Old 05-20-2017, 5:24 AM

Tag
Old 05-20-2017, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
This is the truly dangerous part - "perceptibly" - to who or what? Since it's undefined it could mean perceptible to greater than 50% of an appropriately sized sample group of humans or it could mean detectable by computer assisted imaging 10,000x more sensitive than the human eye. There's a huge amount of leeway in that single line of statute, such that basically any muzzle device could be a flash suppressor statutorily - and you can expect the legal apparatus to utilize that gray area in their favor. Just another law that has no real grounding in anything other than control over the law abiding.
Old 05-20-2017, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpegasus View Post
This is the truly dangerous part - "perceptibly" - to who or what? Since it's undefined it could mean perceptible to greater than 50% of an appropriately sized sample group of humans or it could mean detectable by computer assisted imaging 10,000x more sensitive than the human eye. There's a huge amount of leeway in that single line of statute, such that basically any muzzle device could be a flash suppressor statutorily - and you can expect the legal apparatus to utilize that gray area in their favor. Just another law that has no real grounding in anything other than control over the law abiding.

That's why you won't ever see anyone tried for just having some random muzzle device on the end of a barrel. It has leeway, but it goes both ways and there's too much ambiguity. A whole case will never revolve over just that one piece.
Old 05-20-2017, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This is something that they struggled with when the DOJ wrote the SB23 regulations at a time when the DOJ wasn't nearly as hostile as they are today.
The DOJ is not hostile. The proposed regs explicitly allow an AR broken in 2 parts to not be an AW. They did not have to do that. They could have said the opppsite.

The DOJ is staffed with legal professionals who work on many different subject matters. They are not out to get us. The deluded fanatics in Excremento are the ones hostile to us.

You do not understand how bad it could be if the DOJ really was out to get us.
Old 05-20-2017, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Just ordered a thread protector. $10 to keep me out of trouble - ridiculous law.
Old 05-20-2017, 9:43 AM

What about those with 14.5" barrels with pinned/welded flash suppressors/compensators to make the required 16"? I guess we're heading to the gunsmith with a hope and prayer they don't damage our barrels removing and installing what, per say to stay legal?
Old 05-20-2017, 10:56 AM

**** them. I'm over these games. I keep a close eye on the equity that my house is gaining and am planning my exit. CA has been my home my whole life. My friends, family and career are all here. But my freedom isn't and that's more important to me. I don't want to run the risk of being put behind bars despite my best efforts to comply with the new BS laws because I get the wrong person evaluating my rifle's muzzle device.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

ANY DOJ member is welcome to stand downrange to check flash suppression.
Old 05-20-2017, 1:57 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
The DOJ is not hostile. The proposed regs explicitly allow an AR broken in 2 parts to not be an AW. They did not have to do that. They could have said the opppsite.

The DOJ is staffed with legal professionals who work on many different subject matters. They are not out to get us. The deluded fanatics in Excremento are the ones hostile to us.

You have apparently never been inspected by CALDOJ. Ask any dealer about the vibe during said inspection. They are not your buddy.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 05-20-2017, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The PC definition is very similar as from SB23, but the expanded rationale from the DOJ to include the characteristics of a "hybrid device" would seem to support the inclusion of some muzzle brakes as flash suppressors. This is something that they struggled with when the DOJ wrote the SB23 regulations at a time when the DOJ wasn't nearly as hostile as they are today.

Old

New

Which really pisses me off because I have a Lantac Dragon (which works fantastic in a 308AR) and I've been advised by many that when the device was first advertised it mentioned flash reduction, which it doesn't anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 9:06 AM

Just placed a thread protector on mine and called it a day
Old 05-21-2017, 9:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

This is far reaching. So you have a customized Mini-14 which is still NOT part of the AW law and just like SB23 you had to make sure the device on the end of the barrel did not make it a AW, since it looks like what is a flash suppressor has been expanded, you are back in the depends "what is is" category.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 05-21-2017, 9:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeman View Post
What about those with 14.5" barrels with pinned/welded flash suppressors/compensators to make the required 16"? I guess we're heading to the gunsmith with a hope and prayer they don't damage our barrels removing and installing what, per say to stay legal?
The situation you describe is one which really sucks. Changing the rules after the game has started is total BS.
Old 05-21-2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeman View Post
Just by your own description of the above if installed on a featureless rifle have been illegal and will continue to be. They are though legal on RAW and BB rifles now and after registration.

Don't get featureless and BB rifles confused.
Old 05-21-2017, 3:04 PM

First off this is not a law, it is a regulation to help clarify and provide guidance to DAs and is not part of the new law requiring BB registration that was voted on and passed by the State Legislature. That alone is a point of contention to be addressed in court in the days to come.

Second "Field of View" is vague and ambiguous. What/How is field of view determined? There is no definition provided in the regs similar to the many other definition provide that outline this or "standardizes" its meaning and method of testing. Before one can determined what "perceived" is one must know what "Field of View" is.

Is "Field of View" determined with both eyes open, one eye open looking through iron sights, both eyes open looking through a red dot, one eye open looking through a red dot or one eye open looking through a magnified optic, what lighting level, from the side, top, front or back? = Vague and Ambiguous.

My .02 cent
Old 05-21-2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:

An un-elected, faceless body released a sloppy, inconsistent, and blatantly unconstitutional set of regulations. The fact that they included an option to avoid abiding by said regulations by rendering your legally acquired personal property completely useless, is not a "gift", or something to be thankful for.

"He beats me, but he still feeds me dinner and lets me sleep in the bed. He doesn't have to do that, you know."
Old 05-21-2017, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocguy31 View Post
An un-elected, faceless body released a sloppy, inconsistent, and blatantly unconstitutional set of regulations. The fact that they included an option to avoid abiding by said regulations by rendering your legally acquired personal property completely useless, is not a "gift", or something to be thankful for.

"He beats me, but he still feeds me dinner and lets me sleep in the bed. He doesn't have to do that, you know."

^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

Old 05-21-2017, 7:15 PM

So if I do plan on registering my AR which has a muzzle device that states it reduces flash signature I need to put a muzzle break on it? Just trying to get clarification...

Old 05-21-2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtiger69 View Post
So if I do plan on registering my AR which has a muzzle device that states it reduces flash signature I need to put a muzzle break on it? Just trying to get clarification...
No. If you register it it's fine. You could even keep an actual flash hider on it. It's those of us who are going the featureless route that might have an issue.
Old 05-21-2017, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinman View Post
No. If you register it it's fine. You could even keep an actual flash hider on it. It's those of us who are going the featureless route that might have an issue.

Thanks! Way to much information out there right now.

Old 05-22-2017, 8:21 AM

It appears to me that the DOJ has only further defined a "flash suppressor" to remove confusion that can be had with certain muzzle devises. There are muzzle brakes out there that also include flash suppressor "fingers" off the end and most are advertised as compensator/flash hiders. This is what I believe they are making sure are considered a flash hider:

http://www.tacticallink.com/assets/i...6/SAM_1971.jpg
Old 05-23-2017, 6:30 AM

BCM Mod 0 or Mod 1 compensators.... legal or not? Any thoughts?
Old 05-23-2017, 6:45 AM
Calguns Addict

According to the manufacturer's description, the BCM is designed to reduce "flash signature." That would be a no no for a featureless rifle.
Old 05-23-2017, 6:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPhotographer View Post
BCM Mod 0 or Mod 1 compensators.... legal or not? Any thoughts?
Well, I would say from my reading...

The BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator Mod 0-5.56
This Compensator was not designed as a gamers comp. It was designed for tactical applications to reduce muzzle rise, flash signature, noise, and lateral pressure.

The BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator Mod 1 - 5.56
Tuned slots and interior cone offer maximum in recoil mitigations, compensation of muzzle-rise, and flash reduction.

A.W.D.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:33 PM

What about the comp that Springfield have been putting on their M1A rifles for years?
Old 05-23-2017, 1:44 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltstop View Post
What about the comp that Springfield have been putting on their M1A rifles for years?
The brake on the Scout is not a flash hider. Most other models have a flash hider.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 05-23-2017, 2:51 PM

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:24 PM

Spike's 5.56 Dynacomp Extreme Muzzle Brake ok for featureless? Nothing in their features/specs about flash signature.
Old 05-24-2017, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70runner View Post
Spike's 5.56 Dynacomp Extreme Muzzle Brake ok for featureless? Nothing in their features/specs about flash signature.
From the video that I just watched it definitely does not hide any flash.