Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-17-2009, 9:04 PM

Hi Lilith, I'm sorry to here about your experience. I totaly understand your situation because I am paranoid sometimes if some random person kicked my door and broke in my place when I was alone. That is the one of the reasons that I became interested in having guns.

- GW
Old 01-18-2009, 12:39 AM

Default practical...

Arm yourself with knowledge 1st, couple of good books on the subject:

Truth About Self-Protection, this is the one to read when considering self-protection and security - and what some realities are in regards to non-leathal or improvised weapons and firearms. Will help you understand the implications and responsibility of becoming a firearm owner.

In the Gravest Extreme, this is one to read when you've solidly commited to arming yourself. Mental state of mind, choosing a weapon, practical use & storage, shooting senarios, and legal aftermath. Really good info.

Non-leathal weapons have their place, but IMHO in a home defense situation, they are more of a liability and a firearm. Pepper Spray can prove to be ineffectual and you might end up getting/breathing some yourself in an enclosed room. Stun guns require you to be in pretty close proximity... too close for comfort. Tasers require TWO electrodes to hit the perp - thick clothing or bad placement can hamper effect. Accounts from all report they all have been defeated at some point (person who LIKES pepper or has a high pain threshold, or weird body dynamics) is not all that uncommon.

Check out a gun store w/ a range... they typically rent guns and you can try a few out. Have you approached your circle of friends? Bet there's a friend of a friend, co-worker, family friend who's a shooter and would be happy to introduce you to shooting. You might be surprised to find the size of the typically "silent majority" of firearms owners in CA is quite large... chance are someone you know is a shooter and has just not shown you that piece of their life. Calgunners are a great resource as well - ALL that I've met without exception are folks I could learn something from.

Numbers to LIVE by... 22, 38, 9, 357, 44, 45, 5.56, 7.62x39, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 12
Old 01-18-2009, 4:21 PM

I don't know if you know these statistics, but it looks like people who try to defend themselves with non-firearms get hurt most, people who don't defend themselves (just obey) get hurt second most, and people who attempt to defend themselves with firearms get hurt least. You can find a few sources for these stats with Google.

Ben Harper

"It's a free country... or, at least, it will be."
- The Patriot -
Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

So what happened? Did Annie teach you how to kick arse?
Old 01-21-2009, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokMaster1 View Post
So what happened? Did Annie teach you how to kick arse?
Katie is a natural. She absorbs everything I teach her like a sponge.

On our first day, I introduced her to a pistol and a revolver. I think she is a better student than I am a teacher. Anyway, I quizzed her about the various parts of both guns, and she got it right everytime.

On our next meet, I taught her sight acquisition. Look out guys, when we actually start shooting, I wouldn't bet against her.

Anyway, she will be a force to be reckoned with when she starts shooting.
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), speech in San Franscisco, July 1871

NRA Life Member
Old 01-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Calguns Addict

the best part about teaching willing students, especially women, is that they seriously pick it up fast, and become really good shooters in a short space of time. I think its because they dont have the bad habits us guys have from all the machismo. Ive taught a fwe women, who after 3-4 hours of instruction and practical application shoot good enough to be competitive in a IPSC shoot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene