Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Cool What to send?

Just wondering what types of stuff do soldiers consider "useful" or "good"? whats banned?

example: I have a ton of magazines, such as : Road & Track/ Maxim/Stuff/ etc would that be something useful? I figure reading material is good for passing the time?

Also do we have a calguns list of people I can send stuff to? and a method to do so? Thanks.

My friends project for fallen officers:
http://www.inmemoryofthefallen.org/Home_Page.html
Old 01-07-2009, 4:34 PM

Beer. Lots and lots of beer.

JK, i dont drink.
Old 01-07-2009, 6:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Magazines are great, stuff like candy, foot powder, deodorant, diaperwipes.

I've been sending boxes of cigars. It's amazing how many pictures I see of friends and their buddies sitting on APCs, trucks etc. with cigars in their mouths.

I'll get emails from them and they thank me for different stuff and they always mention the cigars.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 01-07-2009, 6:20 PM

I was wondering the same, my friend was deployed to iraq two weeks before Christmas.
Old 01-07-2009, 6:43 PM

For ideas, here is some of the stuff we sent my bro-in-law was Monkey Butt Powder, non-scented baby wipes, beef jerky (a BIG favorite and I don't think anyone could get enough of beef jerky!), a poker set & cigars, *a* Bible (only one per shipment can be sent,) high-dollar sunscreen, and more. I wish I had the postal forms handy as there were a lot of things we came up with.

One tip... get the special flat rate boxes from the post office and pack those puppies full! Best bang for you buck. Send lots, and send often!

Before sending stuff that may be questionable in an Islamic area, check the zip code (there was something we came across on the USPS site.)

Here's also a link on the subject with additional linked pages: http://www.bootsonground.com/usps-shipping-faq.htm

Last edited by OrovilleTim; 01-07-2009 at 6:43 PM.. Reason: fat finger
Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Any calguns members currently deployed that posted an address to ship to?

My friends project for fallen officers:
http://www.inmemoryofthefallen.org/Home_Page.html
Old 01-08-2009, 1:21 PM

Being here now, I'd say it really depends on where you are. I'm on a big installation, and we have most everything we need right here. It not like we are a "field army" any more. I'd say find remote FOBs, like McHenry, or Summerall, that are still combat outposts, and are remote to the point where all mail and supply comes in by helo, the "px" is rarely open, and chow still sucks balls.

A simple card, a neck gaiter, a hand warmer, some new headphones, some gummi bears, some batteries, a good book, magazines, recent DVDs, a small reading light. Its really the little things, that show someone out there is thinking about you and apprecaites what you are doing and where you are.
Old 01-08-2009, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resistor View Post
Being here now, I'd say it really depends on where you are. I'm on a big installation, and we have most everything we need right here. It not like we are a "field army" any more. I'd say find remote FOBs, like McHenry, or Summerall, that are still combat outposts, and are remote to the point where all mail and supply comes in by helo, the "px" is rarely open, and chow still sucks balls.

A simple card, a neck gaiter, a hand warmer, some new headphones, some gummi bears, some batteries, a good book, magazines, recent DVDs, a small reading light. Its really the little things, that show someone out there is thinking about you and apprecaites what you are doing and where you are.
i had two different deployments at that hellhole lol
Old 01-24-2009, 6:37 PM

Smokes and wipes are the best things. Please don't send books there are literally tons of books sitting around in piles over there in the USO/MWR(s). Candy and snacks are always good too. Send the Brigade Quartermaster catalog if you want to give them some reading material.