Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-09-2009, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Shoulder stock for a broomhandle mauser?

Ok, I have heard various things about the legality of this. Supposedly there is a form letter that the ATF sends out regarding shoulder stocks being allowed on C&Rs that were designed for them. Does anybody have anything factual on legality of this? And where do they stand here in California? Good idea? Bad idea? Don't bring it to the UOC lunch kind of idea? Let me know if anybody knows where I can get real information on this, not the FUD from the phone bank up at DOJ, or something a friend of a friend overheard at a diner some night after a drinking binge.

-Mb
Old 01-09-2009, 3:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Don't know where you are, but the Gun Vault in Mountain View has quite a few shoulder stocked HPs and Broomhandles that are C & R. The "it's OK if they were made that way" answer is one I got from them AND the folks at City Arms. Interesting to note City Arms has a really nice Luger for $800.00 & the reason it's priced low is because some fellow years ago took a file to the shoulder stock cuts on the rear or the grip frame for fear of violating the law. I recall when what you alluded to was law, do believe it's changed. Someone will know chapter/verse her.
Old 01-09-2009, 6:05 PM

Try doing a search you will find it referenced many times here. The models which are ok are listed. ie you can not put a stock on a 4" barrel Luger just because it has the mounting slots.

I think I've read on this here too http://www.lugerforum.com/
Old 01-09-2009, 6:11 PM
CGN Contributor

If the combo is listed in the C&R list as exempt from the NFA, then it would be exempt from the CA SBR regulations. You do however have to comply with the rifle AW regs, so no detachable magazine and OAL needs to be 30". There is no C&R exemption to the AW regs.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-09-2009, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

My understanding is to be legal under federal law the stock and attaching iron must be original and not a reproduction.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 01-09-2009, 8:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Reproductions that are accurate copies of the originals are legal. No CAR stocks on your broomhandle though
Old 01-10-2009, 9:16 AM

Default broomhandle stock

I have a repo stock on my astra 900- There is a letter about (check c96 forum) which says repos are OK as long as the gun and the stock originally went together (eg no Luger stock on a 4" bbl)
Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 AM
CGN Contributor

I thought I remembered there being a letter about the repo stocks, but couldn't find it. So, thats cool. But you still have to comply with the AW regs, so be careful.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-10-2009, 5:52 PM

Default ATF Letter

Here is the text of a reply letter ....no Broomhandle reference directly though.

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
BUREAU OF ALCOCH0L T0BACCO AND FIREARMS
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20226

MAY 29 1981

<Addressee removed >

Dear <Name removed>,

This refers to your letters of March 13 and March 30, 1981, in which you ask that certain Luger and Browning Hi-Power pistols equipped with reproduction shoulder stocks be considered for removal from the provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA).

It is not the policy of this Bureau to render a classification on a Shoulder stock which in and of itself is not subject to the provisions of The Gun Control Act or the NFA. However, as you are aware, certain Luger and Browning Hi-Power pistols when accompanied by original shoulder stocks have been removed from the purview of the NFA.

Our Firearms Classification Panel has examined your request and is their opinion that the above mentioned pistols equipped with currently made reproduction shoulder stocks which either duplicate or closely approximate the dimensions and configuration of the original stocks would also be primarily of interest to collectors and not likely be used as weapons. Therefore, any Luger or Browning Hi-Power pistol which would be removed from the purview of the NFA if equipped with an original shoulder stock, would also not be subject to the NFA is equipped with a reproduction shoulder stock which either duplicates or closely approximates the dimensions and configuration of the original stock.

It must be pointed out that should one of the subject reproduction stocks be attached to any handgun which has not been specifically removed from the purview of the NFA with an original stock, the combination would be subject to all of the registration and transfer provisions of the NFA.

We trust that the foregoing has responsive to your inquiry. If we can be of any further assistance, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,
[signature]
Assistant Directory
(Technical and Scientific Services)
Old 02-18-2012, 9:17 AM

I am look for a repro Astra 900 shoulder stock would anyone know where I can obtain one or get one on loan so I can have one made for me. Regards, Charles
Old 02-19-2012, 7:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Holy necropostings Batman! I take it you didn't bother to read the little warning that popped up when you tried to post this, huh? Next time just start your own thread. We actually prefer that. Ah well, welcome to the board.

As for the stock, do you know if the standard broomhandle mauser stock will fit it? If it will, look on ebay and gunbroker.com, as those are your best bets for finding one. They come in from China most of the time, and will likely require a bit of fitting. But I know several people who have gone that route.

-Mb