Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2016, 8:14 PM

Red face Stripped AR "rifle" lower vs "pistol" lower

I'm a no0b, please be nice to me for asking stupid questions. Also, I'm a girl trying to build an AR for the first time. Please don't make me cry.

I swear I attempted to search for an answer to my question in previous threads; but, I wasn't too successful and I'm still confused re: buying a stripped AR "rifle" lower vs a "pistol" lower. Plus, my friend totally confused me yesterday and he's often full of FUD.

Look, if I go to my LGS and buy a stripped AR lower, can I register it as either a long gun OR a pistol at the time of DROS? My friend is saying that I can only register a stripped lower as a pistol if I buy it from the manufacturer pre-designated as a pistol lower.

In other words, I can't walk in and pick-up two stripped lowers and say "Please DROS this one as a long gun and DROS this one as a pistol"?

My friend also tried to tell me that I can only buy two lowers per month. I could have sworn the long guns were still good-to-go for DROS as many as I want. I already DROSed one stripped lower last week. If I want to walk back in tomorrow and buy 3 more, ok, yes?

My head is spinning from all of the stupid new laws and dudes giving me conflicting information and now I can't figure out which way is up anymore!
Old 07-13-2016, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

You cant register it as a pistol unless you are a LEO. The SSE days are over. The only option is to make one out of a 80%and build a legal single shot configuratuon off the bat. Then you can build the pistol configuration you desire.
Old 07-13-2016, 8:30 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
I'm a no0b, please be nice to me for asking stupid questions. Also, I'm a girl trying to build an AR for the first time. Please don't make me cry.

I swear I attempted to search for an answer to my question in previous threads; but, I wasn't too successful and I'm still confused re: buying a stripped AR "rifle" lower vs a "pistol" lower. Plus, my friend totally confused me yesterday and he's often full of FUD.

Look, if I go to my LGS and buy a stripped AR lower, can I register it as either a long gun OR a pistol at the time of DROS? My friend is saying that I can only register a stripped lower as a pistol if I buy it from the manufacturer pre-designated as a pistol lower.

In other words, I can't walk in and pick-up two stripped lowers and say "Please DROS this one as a long gun and DROS this one as a pistol"?
No.
Because of CA unsafe handgun laws, a CA FFL dealer can not DROS the receiver as a "handgun".
Exemptions to this are LEO sale, PPT, and out-of-state intra-familial gift.

The single-shot pistol exemption (SSE2) only applies to completed dimensionally compliant bolt-action or break-top single-shot pistols that have never been semi-auto.
Which means a receiver by itself does not qualify.

Therefore, unless you are exempt, any AR receiver you acquire will be DROS'd as (category) long gun (subcategory) rifle (subcategory) receiver.

Quote:
My friend also tried to tell me that I can only buy two lowers per month. I could have sworn the long guns were still good-to-go for DROS as many as I want. I already DROSed one stripped lower last week. If I want to walk back in tomorrow and buy 3 more, ok, yes?

My head is spinning from all of the stupid new laws and dudes giving me conflicting information and now I can't figure out which way is up anymore!
Currently, there is no limit to the amount of long guns a person can acquire.

There is only a 1 in 30 day limit on handguns acquired from a CA FFL dealer.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 07-13-2016 at 8:33 PM..
Old 07-13-2016, 8:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

http://www.vcdefense.com/ar-pistols-...-a-legal-note/

Last edited by M76; 07-13-2016 at 8:35 PM..
Old 07-13-2016, 9:07 PM

Oh ok...hold on....my friend is a peace officer. So, I guess that makes sense. So, if he wanted to buy a stripped lower at a LGS, could he then designate it as "pistol" on DROS? Or does it have to come from the manufacturer identified as pistol lower?

Also, I believe he bought a complete AR "pistol" lower on gunbroker and is having it shipped to a CA FFL. He thought he could just take possession of it and I told him that I think he still needs to DROS it and wait 10 days before he can take it home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Currently, there is no limit to the amount of long guns a person can acquire.

There is only a 1 in 30 day limit on handguns acquired from a CA FFL dealer.
Thanks! I told him I thought I could buy as many "rifle" lowers as I want and he swore I could only buy 2 per month. He yelled at me, "You don't know what you're talking about!!!"

(The guy is a firefighter with special law enforcement quals...kinda explains a few things....)

Last edited by BadKitty; 07-13-2016 at 9:11 PM..
Old 07-14-2016, 6:46 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Your friend is wrong about just about everything it seems.

He may or may not be able to buy a stripped pistol lower, depending on his LEO credentials.
Old 07-14-2016, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSOG View Post
You cant register it as a pistol unless you are a LEO.
Amazing how that works, then it suddenly becomes "safe".

If registering an "assault weapon", consider attaching a note with the photo stating "submitting under duress and coercion as California's laws defining "assault weapons" are more restrictive than the purview of the Federal National Firearms Act. CA's "assault weapon" registration process has caused undue burden . V.C. {FirstName LastName}
Old 07-14-2016, 8:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

He may or may not be able to buy a stripped pistol lower, depending on his LEO credentials.
Yeah. Ignore this "Friend".

All AR Pistols (most all) will be RAWs eventually. With destination requirements and other RAW limitations.

Be well
Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 07-14-2016, 8:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

80% built using required procedures or PPT an actual Pistol lower ($800-$1200)
Old 07-14-2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Yeah. Ignore this "Friend".

LOL....I get that people post stupid threads asking for themselves; but, the friend is not me. It really is another dude. There's no reason for me to make up a "friend". When I don't know something, I own it!
Old 07-14-2016, 8:51 PM

Thank you for asking and not just repeating bad info

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2016, 9:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

BadKitty you can't get a strpped pistol lower because of the reasons already mentioned.

You CAN however buy a complete single shot exempt pistol from a dealer.

If you buy it from Baboosh he guarantees that you will be happy with ALL the parts of your new pistol.

If you're happy with the lower but not happy with the upper you can keep the lower and return the upper.

This will allow you to go out and get an upper you would like better.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture