Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-03-2009, 4:34 AM

Default Benelli M4 TITANIUM Full Length 7 shot Mag Tube

I was looking at this on gun broker and it looks like a nice addition. Is there legal limits for shotgun magazine capacity in CA (HD only)?
Old 01-03-2009, 6:14 AM
In Memoriam

How much is it?

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 01-03-2009, 7:15 AM
Veteran Member

$189 plus shipping.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17513
Old 01-03-2009, 7:50 PM
In Memoriam

WASTE of money in my book, but good on ya if you want it. I've run the ones I've gotten from DMW since the late 90's and I think they cost 70 bucks now with a spring and follower.

Old 01-03-2009, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erskatedoc View Post
I was looking at this on gun broker and it looks like a nice addition. Is there legal limits for shotgun magazine capacity in CA (HD only)?
10 rds I think but don't quote me on that.
Old 01-04-2009, 3:27 PM
In Memoriam

DMW will make your extension as long as you want it I believe they are the same price. You might have to wait a little while for a spring if you want a 15 round extension.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 PM

Randy,

What's "DMW"? Got a link?
Old 01-05-2009, 8:45 AM
In Memoriam

www.davesmetalworks.com

Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 PM

$189 is not that bad for better quality, 1/2 the weight, and better color matching.

http://www.shop.carriercomp.com/cate...c?categoryId=4
Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 PM

they look beautifully crafted. I bought one today.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 PM

I'd get one but do a search for 922r on this and other forums. You need to change like 5 or 6 parts to US made ones in order to make it legal and I think there's one or two that aren't available yet. You also need to use a heat gun or blow torch to swap the tubes and I don't know if I want to hack up and scratch/burn my new gun up yet.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Removing the stock tube was a pain. I used a heat gun. Don't worry, it won't hurt the gun at all.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:53 PM

I had been eying one of those for my M4. How is the fit/finish of it? I have the limited edition M1014 version with the skeletonized stock. Was wondering how it would match up with that.

jon.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

anything over ten rounds in a semi is not kosher... neither is the skeleton stock unless its pinned oal has to be 26 inch or greater.
Old 01-11-2009, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louscamaro91 View Post
anything over ten rounds in a semi is not kosher...
Care to point that out in the PC? I believe you are quoting from the section on semi-automatic rifles.

Quote:
neither is the skeleton stock unless its pinned oal has to be 26 inch or greater.
Correct, the stock cannot be collapsible or folding on a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip in California and the Federal law limits you to 26 inches OAL and a minimum of an 18 inch barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 01-11-2009, 9:23 AM
Calguns Addict

10 round magazine capacity also applies to pump and semi-automatic shotguns
Old 01-11-2009, 9:44 AM

What do you mean by skeletonized stock isn't kosher? I bought it this way many years ago brand new and it has sat in my safe ever since. I know that when i first got it, Trader's told me about Benelli retrofitting the stock with a solid one and gave me a paper about it. I still have the paper somewhere. Is my shotgun considered illegal now? Am I supposed to change the stock to a solid one so that it meets today's standards? My stock does NOT fully collapse. It goes forward about 1/2 an inch or so and will twist and lock into a sideways position.

I am confused.

jon.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

as long as your over all length (oal) is 26 with stock collapsed you are fine i know the factory stock makes it about 25 inches collapsed. yes the 10 round applies to everything except tube feed devices.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
as long as your over all length (oal) is 26 with stock collapsed you are fine i know the factory stock makes it about 25 inches collapsed. yes the 10 round applies to everything except tube feed devices.
I believe the PC specifically says .22 caliber tube fed magazines are exempt.

10 round limit on everything else....unless its pre ban of course.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Guys.

Please read the PC and point out where the magazine limit is specified for a shotgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag.ca.gov
12276.1.(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
I'm not seeing anything there about shotgun tube capacity. Remember that a shotgun is NOT a rifle by definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camsoup View Post
I believe the PC specifically says .22 caliber tube fed magazines are exempt.

10 round limit on everything else....unless its pre ban of course.
Rimfire is exempt... see the bold text above.

Quote:
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.

Last edited by TonyM; 01-11-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
What do you mean by skeletonized stock isn't kosher? I bought it this way many years ago brand new and it has sat in my safe ever since. I know that when i first got it, Trader's told me about Benelli retrofitting the stock with a solid one and gave me a paper about it. I still have the paper somewhere. Is my shotgun considered illegal now? Am I supposed to change the stock to a solid one so that it meets today's standards? My stock does NOT fully collapse. It goes forward about 1/2 an inch or so and will twist and lock into a sideways position.

I am confused.

jon.
Jon,

This is a special case that raised eyebrows and stopped the importation of the models of the 1014 with that stock into California. I have a fixed stock 1014 because of this. Personally, I would make sure you retrofit the shotgun with the solid, fixed stock.

Quote:
as long as your over all length (oal) is 26 with stock collapsed you are fine i know the factory stock makes it about 25 inches collapsed.
Please stop. This is incorrect information. Please see my quote of the PC above, particularly item #6. This is not about opinions or internet hearsay, read the actual law. If the factory config put it at 25 inches it would not be commercially available in the USA, as they need to be 26 inches under the NFA.

Quote:

Last edited by TonyM; 01-11-2009 at 10:46 AM..
Old 01-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

doj bof
Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

better yet stop asking people legal advice and call doj bof like i did shoot i even got their number on speed dial here it is (916)263-4887.. peoples advice on calguns is only good as far as you can throw that person....im not saying this about EVERYONE just 98%
Old 01-11-2009, 3:19 PM

so for the past 4-5 years (not sure when i bought it)i have not been legal? Maybe i will disassemble it tonight and put it back in the box. i had always thought i was grandfathered in or something. as for the solid stock, do i need to contact Benelli for that or is that something a gunshop can order for me.

jon.
Old 01-11-2009, 3:51 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
better yet stop asking people legal advice and call doj bof like i did shoot i even got their number on speed dial here it is (916)263-4887.. peoples advice on calguns is only good as far as you can throw that person....im not saying this about EVERYONE just 98%
DOJ BOF.. those guys who said OLLs are illegal? Or mag rebuilds are illegal? MMG and U-15 are pistol grips? BBs and P50 mag locks are detachable magazines?
Old 01-11-2009, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

When ever I call on OLL they just say, ask your lawyer or no imput at all. You call and ask how many rounds a shotgun can hold and they will tell you right away no more than ten. Thats all Im saying here.
Old 01-11-2009, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The only problem with what you suggest is that the CA DOJ/BOF has been issuing "underground legislation" through it's policies and what they say is legal under the law in CA. A good portion of these "policies/regulations" do not have any CA penal code to back them up either.

The advice found here on Calguns is only meant to be informative. If you want a legal interpretation as you've indicated, hire a lawyer well versed in CA firearms law and ask them about it instead of calling the CA DOJ/BOF.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 01-11-2009, 4:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
When ever I call on OLL they just say, ask your lawyer or no imput at all. You call and ask how many rounds a shotgun can hold and they will tell you right away no more than ten. Thats all Im saying here.
You can thank Calguns for them giving the "Ask your lawyer" or non-answer response. Prior to Calguns, they'd just say it's illegal and you're going to jail if you have one. Without Calguns and the Calguns Foundation, we wouldn't have OLLs and all the other progress in regards to second amendment rights restoration here in CA in the last few years.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?

Last edited by domokun; 01-11-2009 at 4:09 PM.. Reason: fixed spelling and grammar issue.