Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 11-12-2015, 2:08 PM

Default Cammo for Bow Hunting in Central Coast Area

Hey guys, I've decided it time to step up the level of difficulty in hog hunting a little. Maybe a lot. I'm headed to the king city area to bow hunt hogs. An area I've rifles hunted with nearly 100% success over the past 5 years. It's pretty open country for bow hunting. Anyone else have experience bow hunting pigs in this area, have suggestions for me? Do I bother to cammo up given how open the terrain is, and how blind most pigs are? Seems like sent and noise control are bigger factors but need advice. Of the dizzying options on cammo patterns available, who likes what pattern for central California, assuming I'm also hunting the mountains at some point for deer in the same pattern.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2015, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

I've gone to cabelas outfitter pattern for the central coast. Works so good the animals and I never see each other.
Old 11-12-2015, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
I've gone to cabelas outfitter pattern for the central coast. Works so good the animals and I never see each other.
I see what you did there...

i'm in the same boat and unable to find anything alive out on public land...there's more wild life here in the suburbs.

OP, i'm not qualified to reply since i'm a novice, but from what i've read, scent, movement and noise are the major factor.

supposedly pigs CAN see colors, but not as we do...maybe not the full visual spectrum?

but IMHO camo is nice to have. for one, the material used is generally light weight, which helps when you're hiking all day. Also, it's usually made of synthetics, which is good for wicking off sweat. fitment is usually better (this is relative, as we all come in diff shapes and size). The clothing i have are really comfy and feels like i'm in my pajamas, but it's also tough material. I've walked through some thick brush without damaging/tearing/ripping any clothing.

and although it may be dangerous, it's mainly for me help stay discreet and away from other people. My preference (although i've not tried any other brands) is Under Armour.
Old 11-12-2015, 6:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I dont get too particular about the type of camo, most any should work well. I do make sure my hands and face are covered as those two body parts are constantly moving and a lot of hunters forget to cover them.
Old 11-13-2015, 3:04 AM

Red plaid jacket has worked for over a hundred years.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2015, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post

That is funny. Seriously though, Cabelas Outfitter Camo is one of the best patterns there is. Mountains or desert.
Old 11-13-2015, 5:53 AM

Almost anything will work. Worry more about finding clothes that fit you best and hold up to the conditions you put them through and less about which camo pattern.
Old 11-13-2015, 7:43 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Best thing about camo clothing is the synthetic fabrics that have been developed for hunting here in Hells Inferno (aka CA). Thus you don't have to stay sweaty all day anymore. The best pattern I've ever seen for Ca outside of the Sitka is backlander which they don't make anymore.

Something that is comfortable, fits well, is all you really need in hunting clothing. Since you will be using a bow I'd recommend camo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsza View Post
in for one just in case the russians come