Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:33 AM

Default Sportsmans Warehouse in Victorville Closing

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/war...mediately.html

Quote:
New Sportsman’s Warehouse closing immediately
Comments 1 | Recommend 0
85 people will be laid off
October 14, 2008 - 12:10PM
BROOKE EDWARDS Staff Writer
VICTORVILLE • After less than four months in business, the new Sportsman’s Warehouse will close its doors Wednesday.

“If we look at the overall economy and realizing that this is the type of business that is extra...we’ll just leave it at that,” said store manager Doug Patch.

Since its opening in late June, the outdoor equipment store employed roughly 85 people who now face unemployment.

Patch said there are no plans for any closing sales and no plans to reopen the store in the future. He said it’s still unclear if the store will open Wednesday morning, or if today will be the last day of business.

Sportsman’s Warehouse is leasing the building at 14601 Valley Center Drive. Patch did not have information on what will happen to the building once the store closes.

Check www.VVDailyPress.com for more information on this breaking story as it becomes available.

Brooke Edwards may be reached at 955-5358 or at bedwards@vvdailypress.com.
I never did understand why they openned the store in Victorville, even though I live in the area.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Maybe if they didn't stick the store out in the boonies they'd receive more consumers...

Bummer though. That didn't last long.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

How was their gun/ammo/shooting section? No sales huh?

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 10-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Banned

This is the part I don't like,

"Patch said there are no plans for any closing sales..."

If they did have some type of sale, I jump in the truck and drive down the backside of the mountain to get there.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:58 PM

All I have to say is Location...Location....Location....

I mean Victorville?...Really?

1. Bass Pro is just down the highway.
2. Most people don't know its there. I worked the gunshow on the opening weekend and it took me a while to find it.
3. Victorville, look victorville has some great people....but many don't spend that much on firearms and most people don't want to drive out there for a "outdoors" store.

Compared to other Sportmans Warehouses I have been to in other states that ones inventory seems low to begin with. Maybe it was a feeler store.
Old 10-14-2008, 7:44 PM

[QUOTE=BONECUTTER;1612844]All I have to say is Location...Location....Location....

Agreed and this slogan applies everywhere, anytime
Old 10-14-2008, 8:49 PM

Uh.....I have a gun there waiting out the 10 day period....what now??????
Old 10-14-2008, 8:59 PM
Veteran Member

My guess is that sudden down turn in economy wasn't factored in.

The shop opened 4 months ago, so that means market research could have been done about 1 yr or so before the opening. At the time, the economy seemed so good, and Victorville and its vicinity had one of the highest growth in SoCal. So it is likely that people who came up with the store there wanted to get in the market, assuming that the good times will roll.

Now that we have massive economy crunch it seems like they are feeling the squeeze and decided to cut the loss ASAP.
Old 10-14-2008, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejitsu View Post
Uh.....I have a gun there waiting out the 10 day period....what now??????
Better call them in the morning.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

People who live there may take offense at this but the truth of the matter is that the the people in the Hesperia, Victorville, Phelan area couldn't afford to buy down the hill. There is not that excess of disposable income to support such an endeavor. I looked at that area to oipen a business and concluded that it wouldn't be feasible.

Not belittling but just stating, that I am always amazed at the people that engage in such $-Dollar intensive sports and then post about how poor they are or how they have to save up for a box of bullets.

Why do ya think that the biggy down the hill picked the location they did.?
Rio
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 PM

Their horrible service and unfriendly staff sure didn't help to bring in more business.

Last edited by ProtecSylt; 10-15-2008 at 2:57 AM..
Old 10-15-2008, 12:25 AM

oh man this sucks...i was planing on going there today to shop around for reloading supplies and it was by far one of the best stores up here IMO for supplies. I have only had 1 bad experience with the store and that was with one of the guys working there.
Old 10-15-2008, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riodog View Post
People who live there may take offense at this but the truth of the matter is that the the people in the Hesperia, Victorville, Phelan area couldn't afford to buy down the hill. There is not that excess of disposable income to support such an endeavor. I looked at that area to oipen a business and concluded that it wouldn't be feasible.

Not belittling but just stating, that I am always amazed at the people that engage in such $-Dollar intensive sports and then post about how poor they are or how they have to save up for a box of bullets.

Why do ya think that the biggy down the hill picked the location they did.?
Rio
I live up there and I can afford to buy down the hill, but why would I spend my money at the way overpriced "Biggy" down the hill. Do I think they should have put the Sportsman's Warehouse in the High Desert, not a chance in hell. I think they should have built it somewhere in South LA County or Orange County, where they would have made a killing in there fishing department. Hunting is in a major decline in California, so concentrating on building in a few of the stronger hunting areas in not a good idea IMHO.

Quote:
So only people in the High Desert do this?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:30 AM

i just got back from there and it was a very depressing sight....there were NO guns and still some ammo and other stuff...it felt like obama was elected and came and took all the guns away!!!

oh and i talked to someone there and they said for the people who have there guns being drosed they will give you a call tonight and you will still be able to pick your guns up on the pick up date
Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

victimville is not the ideal spot for a big outlet store.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:12 AM

Thats to bad for the 85 people who worked there. It so hard to find a job now a days...

Its also a shame to have a outdoors store close down for the people that did frequent it for there supplies such as reloading materials and ammo

-Rick

WTB: 308 Match reloading supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post
Pffft. Who tells their neighbors when you catch their cat in your backyard bear traps?! Newb.....
Member of the "DoubleStar 10"
Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 AM

yea thats another reason the mood was very depressing...i feel bad for the people who worked there
Old 10-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned

I am sorry I wasn't very concise in what I was saying. I should have separated the 2 different thoughts.

The high desert is not a local that is as accessible to as many people as down in the valley. While I don't mind the drive up the pass, in reality that might be an obstacle that would stop some from the commute.
You may very well be able to afford to buy what ever you desire and travel untold miles to obtain it, but that's not the case with many in the high desert. The lack of the population density and disposable income would doom some types of businesses. There just isn't enough demand for a 'super gun store' in that area as someone already stated.

Quote:

No. This should have been a separate topic I guess.
I was just reading some of these posts on different topics and musing to myself. It isn't just this sport but all endeavors I suppose. Didn't really have much to do with the high desert but every where in general.
Rio
Old 10-15-2008, 12:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've been through Victorville quite a few times, although it has been many years. From what I recall there doesn't seem to be quite the population to support such a large store - unless that store has one heck of alot to offer to its customers.

It sounds as though this was a failure from the top down - that the location was a risk and they had nothing special (customer service, pricing) to offer. You would think the folks spending big $$$ to open & supply the store, hire & train the employees, would know they were taking a risk and ensure their customer service was top notch. From the threads I've read that doesn't seem to have been the case.
Old 10-15-2008, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

maybe they thought that place would expand like Rocklin is. Norcal, alot of people moved up there, cheaper homes cheaper living build build build.
Old 10-15-2008, 1:13 PM
Veteran Member

It was next to Cosco and they are doing good there, so people do know it existed.

Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.
Old 10-15-2008, 1:47 PM

Visalia store opens on 10/29 hopefully not the same fate as the victorville store.
Old 10-15-2008, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riodog View Post
I am sorry I wasn't very concise in what I was saying. I should have separated the 2 different thoughts.

The high desert is not a local that is as accessible to as many people as down in the valley. While I don't mind the drive up the pass, in reality that might be an obstacle that would stop some from the commute.
You may very well be able to afford to buy what ever you desire and travel untold miles to obtain it, but that's not the case with many in the high desert. The lack of the population density and disposable income would doom some types of businesses. There just isn't enough demand for a 'super gun store' in that area as someone already stated.

Quote:

No. This should have been a separate topic I guess.
I was just reading some of these posts on different topics and musing to myself. It isn't just this sport but all endeavors I suppose. Didn't really have much to do with the high desert but every where in general.
Rio
I agree with you.

They need to move it to Temecula or even San Diego (North SD County?). We need a "big box" store here.

Super Robot VOLTES V
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Have fun & always be safe.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Old 10-15-2008, 2:42 PM

i live in hesperia and i've been to that particular store only a couple of times. the gentelman that was working the gun counter was a jerk. the rest of the staff was nice, prices about on par with any other outdoors chain.

the high desert is a lot bigger then most of you guys think, but still that kinda store only 45 miles up a mountain pass from another bigger chain was a bad idea. your pretty much betting that only locals will go there. the average person is not going to keep driving past basspro another 45 miles just to get a few bucks in price difference.

about the onlything the high deserts got going for it is its houseing prices (112,000$ 5 bed 4 bath on .75 acre's !!!) clean air and its privacy, know any where else you can run a 7800 lbs CNC mill at 12:30 in the morning with out ANYONE complaining????
Old 10-15-2008, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmzhwells View Post
Visalia store opens on 10/29 hopefully not the same fate as the victorville store.
where is going to be located?