Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-19-2008, 6:22 PM
In Memoriam

Default Good way to build upper body strength for women?

Hi guys, thought I'd give this forum a try.

The wife is great. She loves shooting with me and I'm not sure I could ask for more in a lady.

Only problem. She has super skinny arms and they get pretty tired after 50 or so rounds. What's a good way to strengthen them up?
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . you are, after all, anonymous."
-Barry Ritholtz

Help be a better advocate for the 2nd Amendment here.
Old 09-19-2008, 8:46 PM

Here you go. I run a law enforcement training academy and this is what we do with the new recruits that have limited arm strength. Ultimately, the best thing for the arms, chest and back muscles are simple push ups. they work very well and quickly build strength. Most of the thin armed, cant do a single pushup so we start them off slow. They stand facing a bare wall approximately 12 inches away from the wall. They then do 20 push aways from the wall. This is just like a push up, but they are standing and pushing away from the wall instead of the floor. They do 4 sets of 20 in a day. one set in the morning when they wake up. one set of 20 reps after they eat lunch. the third set before they leave from work and the final set right before they go to bed. it is very easy and is not stressfull on the body. The next day they do the same 4 sets of 20 push aways with one little difference. this time they move their feet back an additional 6 inches further away from the wall. they should now be approximately 18 inches from the wall. This now adds a little resistence to the repetitons. next day they move 6 further inches away and complete the same 4 sets of 20 in the day. each day your feet keep moving further back until ultimately they cant lean into the wall and can then switch to doing normal pushups on the floor. When they first do the floor push ups have her spread her feet shoulder width apart to distribute the weight and make it a little easier to do the pushups. have her do reps of 10 for the first week and then every week increase the rep count by five. She should be able to complete 30 pushups in about 5 weeks. this works very well for our female recruits. hope this helps.

stay safe
Old 09-19-2008, 8:47 PM
Calguns Addict

she should lift weights
Old 09-19-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshanky View Post
Hi guys, thought I'd give this forum a try.

The wife is great. She loves shooting with me and I'm not sure I could ask for more in a lady.

Only problem. She has super skinny arms and they get pretty tired after 50 or so rounds. What's a good way to strengthen them up?

I imagine your wife needs more endurance for her shooting more than actual bulk. I'm generally on the "bigger and stronger" side for a woman, but I was a little worried about the endurance in my arms before I went on my first hunting trip to Nebraska with my Mom a few years back. (Considering that I was going to be the youngest woman there by 30+ years, I really, really didn't want to embarass myself !) However, I was a little worried that swinging a shotgun to my shulder repeatedly was going to take too much out of me. I shot as much as possible, and did lots of dry practice--mostly practicing bringing my gun up and following through. I also tried to sneak in exercise-- I got a light little barbell and put it in my truck, and every time I was in traffic, or at a stop light, I did all the arm exercises I knew, and also just spent time holding it out at arm's length (which is surprisingly difficult, and very effective). Until I could get the barbell, I started with a quart of oil that I already had in the truck.
I hope some of those ideas help your wife!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 PM
In Memoriam

Yeah these do sound good. After the wedding (we're getting hitched again tomorrow for the family) we're probably going to enroll in a martial arts class. Maybe Ju Jitsu or Judo so hopefully that will help out too.
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . you are, after all, anonymous."
-Barry Ritholtz

Help be a better advocate for the 2nd Amendment here.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

your wife should go shooting more often. i found that in a short time my arms adjusted. now 5 hours and 300+ rounds is not an issue.

movie zombie

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buy a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 09-21-2008, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorensen440 View Post
she should lift weights
I agree with this one.

I had no arm strength and started to workout and noticed that I was able to work my guns a lot better.

If she is willing to workout either join a gym or get some workout dvds that are for the arms.

A couple I like are The Science of Fitness with Tamilee - I Want That Body! it has a good arms section

Tamilee Webb: Tight on Time - Hot Spots also has a good arm section that is only 10 minutes long.

or check out the fitness section at bestbuy or other video stores.

Also as for the weights get some 3 and 5 lb dumbells to start with. There are some exercises that the 3 pounders is enough.
Old 09-21-2008, 4:16 PM

I was going to give you some tips but I doubt you want your wife to be stronger than you.

Quote:
"How many more tragedies does it take before we do something,” he demanded. “How many more children have to die before this country realizes that No-Gun Zones create perfect locations for violence? You can not stop criminals and mad men with laws, you can only stop violence with the fear of armed victims."
-Alan Gottlieb
Old 09-23-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termagant View Post
I imagine your wife needs more endurance for her shooting more than actual bulk... I shot as much as possible, and did lots of dry practice--mostly practicing bringing my gun up and following through.
I also tried to sneak in exercise-- I got a light little barbell and put it in my truck, and every time I was in traffic, or at a stop light, I did all the arm exercises I knew, and also just spent time holding it out at arm's length (which is surprisingly difficult, and very effective). Until I could get the barbell, I started with a quart of oil that I already had in the truck.
I hope some of those ideas help your wife!

I can attest to the effectiveness of Termagant's informal training program. That woman has some serious biceps, and can shoot all day!
Old 09-23-2008, 1:22 PM

I started with pushups and pullups, and then graduated to lifting weights. I can now benchpress 120 lbs. But I usually excercise with alot less.
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), speech in San Franscisco, July 1871

NRA Life Member