Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-17-2014, 5:30 PM

Default Doctors and guns

My sister took my niece to the doctor the other day and they asked her if there are firearms in the house. Is that legal in California?
Old 10-17-2014, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Sure, everyone can ask whatever they want. She doesn't have to answer.
Old 10-17-2014, 6:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Ask me no questions...I'll tell you no lies...
Old 10-17-2014, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Doctor ask my son.. And he said "a lot"... Lol.. If only I can take pic of her reaction..
Old 10-17-2014, 6:40 PM
Veteran Member

Very common question.

You don't have to answer, but they would assume lack of an answer is admission of having at least one.

While I am in the infancy stages of my quest, it actually felt really good to finally start taking action.
Old 10-17-2014, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabilis_matulis View Post
Doctor ask my son.. And he said "a lot"... Lol.. If only I can take pic of her reaction..
NICE
Old 10-17-2014, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

NONE
Old 10-17-2014, 6:58 PM

What does owning guns have to do with a medical condition?
Old 10-17-2014, 7:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasspur View Post
What does owning guns have to do with a medical condition?
Part of Agenda 21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Old 10-17-2014, 7:34 PM

Unfortunately, it's not easy declining to answer that question without sounding paranoid. Especially if the doc in question already harbors a stereotype about gun owners.

I would aim for something like "I assume you're asking because of positions taken by the AAP. I'm not sure if you know this, but there's absolutely no credible evidence to support their position. I consider this a political exercise, and I'm not comfortable participating in it."

I might add something about appreciating the physician's concern for my child's safety, along with a suggestion that he or she focus on mechanisms of injury that cause far more child deaths and injuries than firearms -- e.g., motor vehicles, falls, poisonings, drownings, and bicycles.
Old 10-17-2014, 7:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Just answer "how is that relavant? No really, can you please explain it to me as a trained professional I am paying to treat me or my family member how a firearm is relevant to my/their condition?"
I actually asked my kids doctor about why doctors are asking this question (he has never asked)...his answer was...after laughing..."Obama"...
I love living in the sticks...
Old 10-17-2014, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Just pull out your CCW and say "just this one"

Or you could get real awkward and point to your biceps and say something like "why? do you want a ticket to the gun show?" Keep that up for a minute and they will mark the form however they want.
Old 10-17-2014, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenodnarb View Post

Or you could get real awkward and point to your biceps and say something like "why? do you want a ticket to the gun show?" Keep that up for a minute and they will mark the form however they want.
LMAO!!!
Old 10-17-2014, 8:45 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel510 View Post
My sister took my niece to the doctor the other day and they asked her if there are firearms in the house. Is that legal in California?
If my niece went to the doctors and that same question was asked, I would be concerned what compelled the doctor to ask that question in the first place. Was he suspecting foul play somehow?
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 10-17-2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenodnarb View Post
Just pull out your CCW and say "just this one"

Awesome.
...as a trade for a glock 43. wtf guys, wtf.
Old 10-17-2014, 9:27 PM

I only asked, because of the recent law in Florida that fines doctors $500 for asking that question. I only dislike it because I feel that it's a politically motivated question. I don't need doctors teaching my family firearm safety, that's something I'll teach her when she's older.
Old 10-17-2014, 9:31 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

Quote:
I only asked, because of the recent law in Florida that fines doctors $500 for asking that question. I only dislike it because I feel that it's a politically motivated question. I don't need doctors teaching my family firearm safety, that's something I'll teach her when she's older.
If I were you, I would ask that doctor why he/she would ask that question in the first place. Obviously in a nice manner to make him/her feel at ease and hopefully he/she would answer your question. That's just me.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 10-17-2014, 11:45 PM

Doctors know that in general, disarming the good guys results in an increase in gun and other violence. Doctors profit when crime victims need medical attention. If you're a doctor, gun control is good for business. Some doctors are obviously cynical and greedy enough to support gun control for this reason.

Doctors aren't the only people who profit from crime and violence. For example, the entire legal system - lawyers, judges, cops, legislators... Do you see a pattern here?
JPFO Genocide Chart Note that seven of the nine genocides documented in the Genocide Chart were perpetrated against "political opponents." If you're a Christian, a gun owner, and support the Constitution and natural rights, then you are a political opponent to the Marxists who control the CA and US regimes, and to their armies of useful idiots.
Old 10-18-2014, 3:40 AM

Quote:
I can think of very few scenarios where it isn't "legal" for someone to ask another person a question. That having been said, is it appropriate? There are plenty of questions my doctor asks me that would be completely inappropriate coming from anyone else. It's obviously being asked so that if you answer yes they can follow up by telling you to make sure your guns are locked up around your kids. Until doctors are allowed to break doctor-patient confidentiality in the name of gun control I'll save my tinfoil hat for other scenarios.

- inalienable
Old 10-18-2014, 6:15 AM
Calguns Addict

my doctor pulled up some pictures of his Kimber on his iphone to show me

he's also the one who told me that buying the 92fs that i was interested in was a great gun to own...while he served he was issued the M9A1, and knew the 92fs was pretty much the same grade firearm

i also know for a fact that one of his nurses owns the same Ruger GP100 that I bought...hell, i was so jealous of her owning one i had to go out and find one too

her hubby has a decent AR collection to boot
Old 10-18-2014, 7:53 AM

Hype and paranoia. Go to 100 MDs maybe one will as that question. The other 99 want to get through spending thirty percent increase in their time now wasted on dealing with electronic medical records and associated BS.
Old 10-18-2014, 8:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I've never had that question raised and would not know why it would. What does the 2nd admendment have to do with a doctor's services? Maybe they would like some financial advice too?

If it ever was asked, I'd reply with another question to avoid answering.

My answer: "doesn't everybody"?
Old 10-18-2014, 9:24 AM
Calguns Addict

My response, "Do you carry malpractice insurance? More people are killed by doctors than guns every year."

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 10-18-2014, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
My response, "Do you carry malpractice insurance? More people are killed by doctors than guns every year."
Mute is correct. Medical mistakes by doctors, hospitals and big pharma kill far more people than firearms every year. Any "public health" official MUST solve the latter problem before considering firearms ownership as a public health hazard--let alone the tremendous health hazard on citizens and families posed by the misuse of alcohol.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's illegal to ask that question according to Obamacare.

Sent from my LG G3

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 10-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

have the kid reply with "what's the relevance of that question?"
Old 10-18-2014, 12:29 PM

They ask the question under the guise that they will give you Gun safety information for you and your family, in an attempt to reduce gun deaths of children. Who knows where the information goes once its in your medical record. If you answer yes or none of your business, they will mark you assuming you have a gun. Then the government or anyone else will find out. I just say no and move on.
Old 10-18-2014, 2:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamaz View Post
Mute is correct. Medical mistakes by doctors, hospitals and big pharma kill far more people than firearms every year. Any "public health" official MUST solve the latter problem before considering firearms ownership as a public health hazard--let alone the tremendous health hazard on citizens and families posed by the misuse of alcohol.
Not just guns but everything ... leading cause of preventable death.

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that “[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller
Old 10-18-2014, 2:34 PM

Do they also ask "are you a liberal? A gay? A republican?"

Somehow I doubt it.

I'd answer "none of your business". Just like when the bank asks where my cash came from.
Old 10-18-2014, 4:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Answering a question with another question would be good. Omigod, all of our neighbors have guns. Did she swallow some gun parts? Ideally it would devolve into frustration and confusion.
Old 10-18-2014, 7:05 PM

Quote:
I feel that it's a politically motivated question. I don't need doctors teaching my family firearm safety, that's something I'll teach her when she's older.
It is politically motivated. You do not need to know if there are guns in the house to talk about gun safety. If the doctors office is truly concerned about gun safety, they can just ask if they can provide information on gun safety.

Think about it, asking if they can provide the gun safety information would be a way of reaching more households with the safety information than only to give that information to those who admit to owning guns.

Let us not forget that EVERYTHING that goes into an electronic record is susceptible to being hacked or abused by some future entity.
Old 10-18-2014, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connman View Post
They ask the question under the guise that they will give you Gun safety information for you and your family, in an attempt to reduce gun deaths of children. Who knows where the information goes once its in your medical record. If you answer yes or none of your business, they will mark you assuming you have a gun. Then the government or anyone else will find out. I just say no and move on.
State already knows about your guns from DROS.
Old 10-18-2014, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in the medical field and a large majority of doctors I encounter shoot, have a CCW, even on has straight up multiple full auto arsenals. I think a lot of pediatric doctors are Democrats. Surgeons are Republican lol
Old 10-18-2014, 8:48 PM
Veteran Member

Oh and the information you give goes nowhere. Medical records are not connected to anything. All local. I think it's all personal opinion on the approach from the medical providers on whether or not asking is relevant. But it honestly goes nowhere.
Old 10-18-2014, 8:49 PM
🇺🇸 jack-booted gov thug
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
It's illegal to ask that question according to Obamacare.

Sent from my LG G3
Can you point me to where in ObC it says that? That would be beneficial for everyone to share IF they have a dr that continues to ask that question (if it matters to them ...)

-------
Old 10-18-2014, 8:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Dr: "Do you have guns in the house?"
Me: "does your wife enjoy anal sex?"
Dr: "what?"
Me: "that has the same bearing on my medical profile as the topic of guns in the home."

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 10-18-2014, 8:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg86 View Post
Oh and the information you give goes nowhere. Medical records are not connected to anything. All local. I think it's all personal opinion on the approach from the medical providers on whether or not asking is relevant. But it honestly goes nowhere.
Goes right into No Such Agencies database.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 10-18-2014, 9:02 PM

Just one of those BS that the law makes medical providers be responsible for. Basically, it goes simply like if the owner's son/daughter grabs a hold of the gun and use it, the greedy lawyers will try and get money out of every possible person. Basically, our hands are tied...

My proof: I practice medicine
Old 10-18-2014, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
Think about it, asking if they can provide the gun safety information would be a way of reaching more households with the safety information than only to give that information to those who admit to owning guns.
Yea great, except I can't even get reliable information about gun laws from gun stores and FFLs. What makes anyone believe that doctors or medical staff could provide accurate or useful information about gun safety.

Of course, they will suggest that they be unloaded and locked up, making it safer only for those who might do us harm.
Old 10-18-2014, 9:40 PM

Ur r absolutely right mshill. First, I would assume that majority of docs don't have guns if I consider the same ratio by general population. With that assumption, our "preventative education" is mediocre in terms of gun safety.

I will divert a little bit. We always talk about quitting smoking as it "can" cause cancer. When that same person shows up with cancer and we didn't catch it, guess who gets screwed as well?

I really wish people stop saying that docs act like god and ,when they miss something, we are now treated like god that needs to be perfect. Don't get wrong some are really douche bags.