Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-21-2014, 7:10 PM

Default Free college for Vets Kids

I was told by a vet buddy of mine that even if you are rated 0% or more from the VA that your kids can go to Cal state colleges tuition free. From what I searched it looks to be true but I guess they don't advertise this because the schools get nothing for it. It sounds like you have to apply each year for a waiver. Has anyone tried this?

I never went in to the VA after I got out for my hearing because of hearing horror stories from my dads experiences there and I didn't want it keeping me from getting a job in the real world like passing physicals for LEO and Fire depts. Plus I figured there was guys out there that needed it a lot more than me. But I might look into finally going in and seeing what happens. My kids are only 10 and 7 but it sounds like the way the VA is that it might take that long to get a rating, even if it is 0%. They took 30 years to finally take care of my dad from Nam
Old 05-21-2014, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

wow... I am still fighting my case.. hope my kids will also go to college for free.
Old 05-21-2014, 7:34 PM
Fat guy in a little coat
CGN Contributor

Yea that is what the VA rep was telling people, until you research it and know for sure don't get too excited, there are stipulations to it. I know the VA lady made it sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

College Fee Waiver
Share on emailShare on facebookShare on twitterShare on linkedinMore Sharing Services

The College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents benefit waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus. This program does not cover the expense of books, parking or room and board. There are four plans under which dependents of veterans may be eligible.

Plan B

The child of a veteran who has a service-connected disability, or had a service-connected disability at the time of death, or died of service-related causes is eligible. The child's annual income, which includes the child's adjusted gross income, plus the value of support provided by a parent, may not exceed the annual income limit. The current academic year entitlement is based upon the previous calendar year's annual income. Under Plan B, wartime service is not required and there are no specific age requirements. Children are the only dependents eligible under this plan. There is no prohibition against receiving concurrent VA Chapter 35 benefits.

https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetService...ee-Waiver.aspx
"They show us what's missing in our lives, and how to love ourselves more completely and unconditionally. They connect us back to who we are, and to the purpose of why we are here."-Trisha McCagh when speaking about animals.
Old 05-21-2014, 8:28 PM

Yeah I would definitely be over on the income part. I'll look into it and see anyway. Besides I'm definitely gonna need hearing aids soon, (ruptured my ear drum in the Corps) maybe I can at least get those, I fail the hearing test at work every year.
Old 05-21-2014, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

It really isn't free, the government takes the money from some one else.
Old 05-21-2014, 8:43 PM

The income is based off the child's income, not yours. My son starts right after he graduates next month.
Old 05-21-2014, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk8240 View Post
The income is based off the child's income, not yours. My son starts right after he graduates next month.
Agreed. My daughter got the waiver about 11 years ago, and my income didn't count. Only what I gave her in support, or she earned on her own.

It is a good program that honors disabled veterans.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Not from what I read, they just don't charge like a scholarship. Besides it would be nice to see an American kid going to college here instead of all the non resident foreigners who just take that education back to their own country. My wife couldn't get a lot of classes at Fullerton when she was going because the school would fill up with foreign students and they seemed to get a lot of the classes because they pay a lot more so the school didn't seem to care.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Gamble View Post
Agreed. My daughter got the waiver about 11 years ago, and my income didn't count. Only what I gave her in support, or she earned on her own.

It is a good program that honors disabled veterans.
Good to know
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Umm
0%, as in zero
So, just go and get evaluated, and let them say nothing is wrong?
And my kids/dependents get fee waivers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 05-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Fat guy in a little coat
CGN Contributor

No, you need to have something wrong. Even though you have something wrong doesn't mean it will rate 10% or more but if there is something they will rate you at 0%. 0% is still a percentage to the VA but having nothing wrong means there is nothing wrong. Screwy system but its how they do it. I let the doctors remove a flap of skin off my back to check for skin cancer but they did a ****ty job of stitching me up so now I have a decent sized hole in my back in the shape of a football. The scarring rates a 0% since it doesn't affect my ability to do anything but is the result of someone at the hospital doing a crappy job. Ive got one buddy who's neck they filleted open to remove cancer at age 20. His scars would actually rate 10% or more because they could cause him to not be eligible for certain types of employment, but he got 100% cause his cancer keeps coming back, he just turned 23 and has had cancer found on 3 different occasions/places.
"They show us what's missing in our lives, and how to love ourselves more completely and unconditionally. They connect us back to who we are, and to the purpose of why we are here."-Trisha McCagh when speaking about animals.

Last edited by FML1982; 05-21-2014 at 10:29 PM..
Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Umm
0%, as in zero
So, just go and get evaluated, and let them say nothing is wrong?
And my kids/dependents get fee waivers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know doesn't make much sense, the word I got out of it is you do have a service connected issue but its not worth paying you for or doesn't affect your quality of living hence the 0% payment from VA however the state still considers you service connected. I wish I would've known about this a long time ago, my dad is 100% from Nam, and I could've gone to school.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
A lot of stuff isn't free either. Like freedom but meh, sure, let's ***** about this. How dare children of vets (who less than a single percent of population) take away bennies from the illegals and 0bama wellfare kids
Old 05-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
Not from what I read, they just don't charge like a scholarship. Besides it would be nice to see an American kid going to college here instead of all the non resident foreigners who just take that education back to their own country. My wife couldn't get a lot of classes at Fullerton when she was going because the school would fill up with foreign students and they seemed to get a lot of the classes because they pay a lot more so the school didn't seem to care.
CAREFUL you might be called a racist now...
Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
I know doesn't make much sense, the word I got out of it is you do have a service connected issue but its not worth paying you for or doesn't affect your quality of living hence the 0% payment from VA however the state still considers you service connected. I wish I would've known about this a long time ago, my dad is 100% from Nam, and I could've gone to school.
with a 0% from what i understand means they will cover all medical bills relating to that injury now and in the future. Also if it worsens you can reapply for a higher persentage.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

My dad told me that for years, but always qualified it as free for children of disabled vets. I believe it expires around your 25th birthday. I kick myself for not taking advantage of it. Now I'm paying student loans.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:25 PM

This is my kids college plan. If this doesn't work, they can just enlist like I did. My boys anyway. If my girls think about enlisting Ill just pay for their college. No way Ill let my daughters go into this ****hole that is our current military.
Old 05-26-2014, 7:18 PM

My daughter used this at UC Davis for her last two years, she went to Junior college on our dime to see if she really was interested in college first. Same for my son, he went to junior college first, and I was planning on using the VA plan for him, but he decided to join the Army instead of staying in school. So, if he ever decides to go back he'll have the VA dependent plan and his GI bill.
Old 05-27-2014, 5:35 PM

You have to have a disability. 0 = nada so you do not get anything. You have to be at least 1% disabled.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I think there is a diff between disability and disabled, you can have a 20% disability and be 40% disabled for example or vice versa, so it seems that a person could be disabled at 0%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
You have to have a disability. 0 = nada so you do not get anything. You have to be at least 1% disabled.
You are wrong. You can have a 0% disability. The thing about it is if in the near future you have a problem and it's a 0 you can reopen your file and get another review on your claim. And yes even with a 0 you're kids can go to school for free. Yes with a 10% you get more then someone with a 0. I have a 0% and my kids will go to college for free. Thank you taps n tams for the knowledge of 0% va free schooling...

Now my kids have to make less then 12,000 a year salary.

From Calvet website:
This program does not cover expenses like books, housing and parking. To be eligible, the student must:

Have a parent who is a disabled veteran (0% or more disabled); or

Have a spouse who is service-connected (S/C) deceased or rated 100% S/C disabled.

Be a child earning less than $11,945 per year (student’s income, not parents’). Note: there is no income limit for a spouse or children of S/C deceased or 100% S/C disabled veterans.

Attend a California Community College, California State University, or a University of California school.

The student must meet the in-state residency requirements as determined by the school
Provide proof of the student’s relationship to the veteran such as a copy of a birth or marriage certificate.

​To obtain complete eligibility requirements and assistance in applying for these valuable benefits, please contact your local County Veterans Service Office or your school's veterans office.

From Calvet.ca.gov

Last edited by press press; 05-27-2014 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: Add info from Calvert.ca.gov
Old 06-02-2014, 4:55 AM
Banned

There is a difference between having a 0% and not having an injury. With zero percent you have an injury that is not affecting you right now but can get it treated in the future if it gets worse. If it gets significantly worse you can dispute the 0% rating and get bumped up.
Old 06-06-2014, 4:15 PM

I worked in the Adjudication office for the VARO for many years. A 0% rating is an acknowledgement of you receiving an injury during your military service. A service connected disability does NOT have to have a compensable rating to be a Service Connected disability.

So a 0% service connected disability IS considered disabled to the VA.
Old 06-06-2014, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

I have an appointment in
:two weeks:

Old 06-06-2014, 8:38 PM

My daughter is on her second year at UCSB under Calvet program. The thing is people think they get to go for free. Room and board is more money than the tuition so its far from free. Its nice and not paying tuition helps a lot.

Your income doesn't matter, its that your kid cant have a job while going to school that pays a ton of money, if they do you will lose the tuition. My daughter works part time.
Old 06-06-2014, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, my daughter is pretty set, she graduates tomorrow with an AA in mathematics, after just one year, she had a few credits to start and did 23 credits this year
my oldest son is set too
My two younger boys though is what I will be working on, csumb is close so no dorms necessary

Old 06-08-2014, 2:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My daughter will get her Masters in psychology within a year, and did it free of tuition charges, thank to the CalVet program.

It's not automatic. The student MUST go through the admissions office and really push the issue for them to agree and sign off on CalVet. Once done....free ride
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 06-13-2014, 2:46 PM

I knew about this before I enlisted. This is why I will not leave CA.....yet!

Plus, it's bargaining power for prospect students who plan on playing college athletics that don't receive a full ride.

Not sure about other sports, but in baseball, when I played, the school only gave out 11.7 scholarships. How many players are on a collegiate baseball team? Exactly! Unless you were drafted in the 1st round and turned it down for college, you were not getting a "full-ride" at college. Don't believe those kids that say they do....
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDdawn6 View Post
The vagina is a self cleaning oven!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob_tube View Post
I just railed this poll with ten different devices