Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-05-2014, 8:57 AM
CGN Contributor

Default Nikon P-223 4-12x40,anyone have one?

I already bought this scope (it is due to arrive today).
It is going to go on a budget SPRish AR build I am currently working on.

I have a friend that has the 3-9x40 P-223 & he loves it. He says it's on par with his Leuplod Mark AR.

I'm looking for reviews from people who have the P-223 4-12. Not opinions on how I should've spent my 1-10x's as much $$ on a NF/SB/Leupold/whatever.

If it bothers you that I bought this low cost scope? I don't care. Go crap someone else's thread...

Last edited by JWHuey; 04-05-2014 at 8:58 AM.. Reason: hanges
Old 04-05-2014, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I've read nothing but good things about the value associated with this scope. I'd like to know your thoughts. I have an M-223 and love it. I have a leupold mark AR 1.5-4 and must say the glass is crazy clear compared to the nikon; however my nikon is definitely quality and has a solid place in my set of rifles.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Love my nikon p223 it does everything I need at the range and in the field. Ive paid from 149.00 to 199.00 best deal for me. (3x9)
Old 04-05-2014, 10:15 AM

I have it on my MK12 Mod1 inspired build. Its paired with a Wilson Combat 18" Match grade SPR Barrel at 1-8 twist a one piece Burris REPR mount. I got it on paper at 25 yards then dialed it in at .75 inch sight over bore. Finalized the zero at 100 yards after. When you have it all zero'd in, you can reset the knobs to 0 then use the knobs indicators for your adjustments. I wasn't sold on the BDC at first but I learned to appreciate it. I use The Spot On Ballistic App for the different types of ammo I used on longer shots. I have only shot out to around 280-300 yards on 8 inch steel plates and I hit it every time. I allowed my friends that are not shooters to shoot my rifle and they can hit the steels 75% of the time. Don't have a 2 stage trigger yet but I'm sure when I do get one, this scope set up with my SPR will allow me to shoot sub MOA. For now, I cannot justify buying a higher grade optic for my build since I am very satisfied with the performance already. You sir have made a great choice for a budget scope.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:07 PM

I have the same Nikon model scope p223 4-12 x40, mounted on a Bushmaster varminter with 24'' barrel. I have taken it out 3 times now and had no problem hitting plates up to 400 yards. Past 500 to 600 yards is kind of inconsistent, maybe because I use cheap ammo. It is an amazing value and really easy to use.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:12 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobbology View Post
I have it on my MK12 Mod1 inspired build. Its paired with a Wilson Combat 18" Match grade SPR Barrel at 1-8 twist a one piece Burris REPR mount. I got it on paper at 25 yards then dialed it in at .75 inch sight over bore. Finalized the zero at 100 yards after. When you have it all zero'd in, you can reset the knobs to 0 then use the knobs indicators for your adjustments. I wasn't sold on the BDC at first but I learned to appreciate it. I use The Spot On Ballistic App for the different types of ammo I used on longer shots. I have only shot out to around 280-300 yards on 8 inch steel plates and I hit it every time. I allowed my friends that are not shooters to shoot my rifle and they can hit the steels 75% of the time. Don't have a 2 stage trigger yet but I'm sure when I do get one, this scope set up with my SPR will allow me to shoot sub MOA. For now, I cannot justify buying a higher grade optic for my build since I am very satisfied with the performance already. You sir have made a great choice for a budget scope.

This is pretty close to what I want to have as an end product.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it a lot.
Old 04-08-2014, 5:30 PM

Default Nikon 4-12x40 on a stag arms 8HT gas piston AR15

Just completed my Stag arms 8HT gas piston AR15 .Zeroed in the iron sights at 25 yards then laser boresighted the Nikon M223 4-12x40 then shot the rifle on a bench at 25 yards and was absolutely dead on the center bull. Walked out to 100 yards and was spot on again. I have shot 5.56 and 223 ammo and didt see any noticeable difference in accuracy. I installed an ALG trigger which is a great upgrade from the standard mil spec trigger. The M223 nikon is excellent and good value at around $400 my deal came with free M223 scope mounts so that was a $100 savings . Plus nikon have a lifetime warranty . Next purchase will be an aimpoint red dot to add to the collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000063.jpg (96.4 KB, 52 views)
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Last edited by EXTREMEOPS1; 04-09-2014 at 8:27 PM..
Old 04-10-2014, 8:36 AM

After I bought my p223 3-9 I have had 3 friends go out and buy one for there own AR. Nikon p Series are awesome
SIG MOSQUITO
22 BOBCAT
795 MARLIN
SPR SPIKES BUILT0
Noveske AR pistol
Old 04-10-2014, 9:51 AM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

I only have the 3-9x40 Nikon P223, but I love it. I've had it for a little over a year and it holds its zero well, is clear, and I especially like the reticle calibrated for 223 drop rates.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 04-13-2014, 8:56 AM

Im looking into getting the m223 4-16x BDC for my MP15T. I read so many good reviews and the spot on software is pretty kick ***.

I use a red dot at 100 yds and I hit my targets at a 4 inch diameter circular target, but not very good groups. Honestly its hard to see at 100yds with a red dot sight, my vision sometimes gets blurry, parallax is almost zero, best I can do is get the red dot in the middle of a blurry black 4 inch diameter circle lol At best I can get 90% of my shots within the target, and around 5-8 shots outs of 100's I can get dead center (shooting with 1 eye and then both eyes open made no differece.) I am also shooting tula 223 ammo which is not the most accurate.

In the end, the red dot was fun, but I want to get a more consistent view of my target and get a better grouping.

Right now my marlin795 with the nikon prostaff runs circles around my MP15t with Vortex SPARC lol

Edit: Here are some pictures from others using a red dot at 50 and 100yds. You can see what im dealing with here lol and why I want the nikon m223
@50yds

@100yds

Last edited by safety-1st; 04-13-2014 at 9:16 AM..