Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:34 AM

Default Opinion on a scope

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Was thinking of getting this scope to put on my fiances AR15, and would like the opinion of the scope section here

If anyone wishes to suggest another scope for us to consider, please leave recommendations here if this isn't a good one. I do have a few criteria though:
  • Cheap. Has to be around $200, preferably under that before tax.
  • Has to be decent/good quality, don't want it falling apart.
  • Reliable
  • Has to have a zoom. Eye adjustment would be nice, but not necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Nutjobs are the staple of CGN, at least in OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Tree View Post
Then again, Dick's never ceases to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 AM

I have that exact same scope on my Ruger American .243 and .270 and I love it! I originally bought Nikon scopes because I have a lot of experience with Nikon camera lenses, and I haven't been disappointed. You can't go wrong at that price!
Old 03-12-2014, 6:07 PM

Ok, we were looking at scopes and stuff on Amazon after I showed her the Nikon, and she threw this up as a suggestion:

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Point-P.../dp/B003BRJ3A2

What would your opinion(s) of this be compared to the OP scope?
Quote:
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Quote:
Old 03-12-2014, 6:39 PM

I would go with the Nikon, Barska scopes don't have a good reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shda5582 View Post
Ok, we were looking at scopes and stuff on Amazon after I showed her the Nikon, and she threw this up as a suggestion:

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Point-P.../dp/B003BRJ3A2

What would your opinion(s) of this be compared to the OP scope?
Old 03-12-2014, 7:37 PM

Barska is cheap. Go with the Nikkon. Higher quality.
Old 03-12-2014, 7:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have that same scope on and its great.
I've avoided Barska based on the quote "friends don't let friends buy Barska"
I've seen it here several times.
Old 03-12-2014, 8:07 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If your fiancée takes her shooting seriously, I'd step it up a few levels if you plan on having her as your wife.
Old 03-12-2014, 8:33 PM

The model you are looking at is parallax free at a fixed 100 yards, which is fine.

The Nikon 8497 P-223 has similar specs except that it has exposed turrets and a reticle specific for AR's. Same price.

Consider also the Nikons that are parallax adjustable. Nikon calls it side focus. The Nikon 6740 Prostaff 5, 3.5-14x40, which can be found for $279.
Old 03-12-2014, 9:02 PM

Get a Nikon 3-9x40, The image quality is better than the Nikon 4-12x40. There's no need to go x14 on an AR. But that's just subjective.
Old 03-12-2014, 9:23 PM

JMP is right. .. Both scoped are what you call... you get what you pay for! They both suck especially Nikon... spend some more money and get something that is worth something. .. then you will never have to buy another Optic again. At least a Leupold. I have friends that have 2000 dollar AR'S with 150 dollar scopes. .. what a joke!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2014, 9:24 PM

Oh. Optics are the most important and expensive part to any gun... don't skimp!

Old 03-13-2014, 6:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Nothing is junk about the nikon pro-staff. I've used on one of my big game rifles for a few years. Barska on the other hand, well treat it as if you will get ebola from it.

Stay far far away.
Scopes for sale!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1160250
Old 03-13-2014, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
JMP is right. .. Both scoped are what you call... you get what you pay for! They both suck especially Nikon... spend some more money and get something that is worth something. .. then you will never have to buy another Optic again. At least a Leupold. I have friends that have 2000 dollar AR'S with 150 dollar scopes. .. what a joke!

Well, this was a budget-built AR at around 700, so tacking on a scope that is more designed for competition and professional shooting is both out of my price range and quite a bit overkill as well.

Not saying that Leupolds are bad scopes, but surely there are better options out there for people that don't want to spend 700+ on a scope for a rifle intended for range use and if SHTF.

Is the parallax adjustment that much of a game-changer? She would also be shooting sub-100 yards on occasion as well.

Also, if we were down to the two Nikons OP and the P223 recommended by avcrew, which would you go with?
Quote:
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Quote:
Old 03-13-2014, 8:59 AM

I don't see the need for an expressive scope on your application. A Nikon 3-9x40 will suit you fine. Nikon's are very clear, they're one of the clearest for the money. Just try one for yourself. See if you like it.
Old 03-13-2014, 9:25 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the Nikons you mentioned - I have both. The P-223's BDC 600 reticle is supposed to be calibrated for the trajectory of a .223 55-grain bullet, so it might fit your application better.

If you live near Los Angeles, I would be happy to let you and your fiance take a look through my 4-12x40 Nikon Prostaff and my unmounted P-223 3-9x40 before you buy.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnletti View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either of the Nikons you mentioned - I have both. The P-223's BDC 600 reticle is supposed to be calibrated for the trajectory of a .223 55-grain bullet, so it might fit your application better.

If you live near Los Angeles, I would be happy to let you and your fiance take a look through my 4-12x40 Nikon Prostaff and my unmounted P-223 3-9x40 before you buy.
Appreciate the offer

I would say this weekend, but we're both in Chino and we'll be busy. We had already planned on going shopping up at Bass Pro in Rancho since we'll be nearby anyways to do a viewing/comparison. If they don't have the p233 in stock, I might look you up.
Quote:
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Quote:
Old 03-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well, this was a budget-built AR at around 700, so tacking on a scope that is more designed for competition and professional shooting is both out of my price range and quite a bit overkill as well.

Not saying that Leupolds are bad scopes, but surely there are better options out there for people that don't want to spend 700+ on a scope for a rifle intended for range use and if SHTF.

Is the parallax adjustment that much of a game-changer? She would also be shooting sub-100 yards on occasion as well.

Also, if we were down to the two Nikons OP and the P223 recommended by avcrew, which would you go with?
It really depends on the type of shooting you plan on doing, and the magnification range of the scope...

Personally if I have the option of buying an optic with parallax adjustment/AO I do, but my applications revolve around shooting at longer ranges, and shooting the smallest groups possible.

Even inside 100 yards, you can tune out a lot of parallax error, and its quite noticeable if you know what you are looking for.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
If your fiancée takes her shooting seriously, I'd step it up a few levels if you plan on having her as your wife.
I enjoyed that comment...

Lucky for me my fiancée likes her guns and optics more than jewelry and handbags...

She thinks the ACOG I gave her is like the most beautiful thing ever... nice to know she can appreciate a good optic.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
I enjoyed that comment...

Lucky for me my fiancée likes her guns and optics more than jewelry and handbags...

She thinks the ACOG I gave her is like the most beautiful thing ever... nice to know she can appreciate a good optic.
My fiance is also practical; she said there is no need for her to have a $700 scope on a rifle that is used once or twice a month for paper shooting. Heck, she even thinks the $181 on that Nikon P223 is much more than she wants me to spend. Fortunately I'm the one buying it
Quote:
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Quote:

Last edited by shda5582; 03-13-2014 at 12:53 PM..
Old 03-13-2014, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My fiance is also practical; she said there is no need for her to have a $700 scope on a rifle that is used once or twice a month for paper shooting. Heck, she even thinks the $181 on that Nikon P223 is much more than she wants me to spend. Fortunately I'm the one buying it
I wasn’t trying to imply you needed to spend that… I was just happy my lady likes what I like, and doesn’t spend massive amounts of cash on “junk” like jewelry. You already have a winner as she likes shooting, spending time and having fun is what it’s about.

I like good stuff but I also shop for scopes on a budget, and the first budget scope that comes to mind is something like the fixed power SWFA scopes. Excellent tracking, good glass, exposed turrets with matching mil/mil reticle, and parallax adjustment all for $300.

Since your fiancé going to be the one using it, just go window shopping with her and try a bunch with her and let her make an informed decision. If the Nikon P223 is what she likes then go for it.

The more exposure you have to different optics the more you will see what you value and the differences in application. If you know her shooting style you can guide her in the right direction, most of my preference is geared towards precision rifle and distance shooting… something we both enjoy, so I it kit out accordingly.

So my recommendation for something closer to your price range...

Distance & Target
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactic...pe-P53712.aspx

General purpose target / plinking
http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-4x24-Crossf...pe-P67752.aspx

& Bushnell PCL with mount package...
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-O...it-P61988.aspx

I think the Bushnell with the mount would make for a pretty sweet general purpose budget optic setup for an AR.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 03-13-2014 at 1:52 PM..
Old 03-13-2014, 3:18 PM

Thanks for the links, problem is is that those are out of my price point. I can't go any higher than $200 for the scope, or else I would have been able to expand my range of stuff I could go for.
Quote:
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Quote:
Old 03-13-2014, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the links, problem is is that those are out of my price point. I can't go any higher than $200 for the scope, or else I would have been able to expand my range of stuff I could go for.
Does $200 include mounting hardware?

You still need a set of rings or a mount for that Nikon... what did you allocate as a budget for that?

If looking for a 1 piece on a budget most are going to end up steering you towards something like the PERP from Burris.

You should take that into consideration as mounting hardware is still an important part of the compete setup.

Any half decent set of rings is going to cost you about the same...
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SSALT-30mm-Scope-Mount-P58814.aspx

The mount also buys you a little flexibility with the 1" inserts... so if you ever upgrade to a scope with a 30mm main tube, you would be able to use the same mount.
Old 03-13-2014, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
Does $200 include mounting hardware?

You still need a set of rings or a mount for that Nikon... what did you allocate as a budget for that?

If looking for a 1 piece on a budget most are going to end up steering you towards something like the PERP from Burris.

You should take that into consideration as mounting hardware is still an important part of the compete setup.

Any half decent set of rings is going to cost you about the same...
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SSALT-30mm-Scope-Mount-P58814.aspx

The mount also buys you a little flexibility with the 1" inserts... so if you ever upgrade to a scope with a 30mm main tube, you would be able to use the same mount.
No, the $200 is just for the scope since I have a set of rings left over from my disastrous mount attempt of my Mosin (which was since fitted with a proper mount).
Quote:
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Quote:
Old 03-13-2014, 4:03 PM

Nikon 6729 3-9x40, your original choice.

At 100 yard target shooting, the scope will be parallax free. You can move your head slightly side to side or up and down and the reticle should not move in relation to your POA.

At 50 yard target shooting, the scope will exhibit some parallax if you move your head slightly in any direction. In order to keep your shots consistent, your eye position and cheek weld will need to stay the same shot after shot.

Nikon 6740 3.5-14x40 Prostaff 5 with Side Focus.

For each shot that you make at different ranges, adjust the side focus knob until the scope exhibits no parallax.

The choice is yours.
Old 03-13-2014, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the offer

I would say this weekend, but we're both in Chino and we'll be busy. We had already planned on going shopping up at Bass Pro in Rancho since we'll be nearby anyways to do a viewing/comparison. If they don't have the p233 in stock, I might look you up.
Not a problem
Old 03-14-2014, 4:33 PM
Calguns Addict

OP (and others).

Natchez is my go to on closeout stupid cheap pricing.

Buckmaster with regular +
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...eticle%20Matte

Buckmaster with BDC
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...eticle%20Matte
Scopes for sale!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1160250
Old 03-26-2014, 8:43 PM

Default Vortex Diamondback

Even though I live in N. Cal. I get the Turner email ads. They have a Vortex Diamondback - 4-12x40 advertised for $149.00 in their new quarterly flyer. This is a great deal on a great scope!

Last edited by skohl; 03-26-2014 at 8:46 PM..
Old 03-27-2014, 7:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Natchez has the BSA 1x6 scope for $150. Sportsman's Guide has the 4x16 40 mm on sale for $53. That will make the wife very happy. I use the Sweet 223 6x18 40 mm and it's great for the money, I paid $54 for it.

Go to *gasp* cheaper than dirt for a single piece lightweight scope mount for about ten bucks.

Last edited by Jimi Jah; 03-27-2014 at 9:29 AM..
Old 04-04-2014, 7:40 PM

If you are still looking, I put one of these on my "budget build". 80% lower, blem upper and palmetto clearance build kit. I don't have many rounds through it so I cant speak to the durability but I'm happy so far...

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron...iflescope.html
Old 04-04-2014, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

Nikon over Barfska all day long. Get more if you can afford it, but Nikon will do. I have a 3x9x40 on a .22 & it's good. I dropped the action cleaning it (stainless .920 heavy barrel-with greasy fingers) it crashed upside down on the scope & it's perfectly centered.
Old 04-04-2014, 9:02 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

I'm a big fan of Primary Arms because of their customer service and bang-for-buck. I would recommend looking at this:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-...e-p/pa416x.htm

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 04-06-2014, 5:45 PM

Vortex Crossfire II 1-4 illuminated. Inexpensive and a killer warranty.
Great on an AR.
Old 04-07-2014, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
I'm a big fan of Primary Arms because of their customer service and bang-for-buck. I would recommend looking at this:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-...e-p/pa416x.htm
What's the quality of their scopes, and that one in particular?

I had it narrowed down to the OP and was just trying to find something local so she could take a look at it in person, but I'm liking that the one you linked is cheaper and higher zoom.
Quote:
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Quote:
Old 04-07-2014, 9:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am surprise no one has mentioned (as least that I saw) the Redfield line. They are great scopes. I have a Revolution on my Gen1 Vanguard and they continually get top scores and praise in every review of them I have seen.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Quote:
What's the quality of their scopes, and that one in particular?

I had it narrowed down to the OP and was just trying to find something local so she could take a look at it in person, but I'm liking that the one you linked is cheaper and higher zoom.

I would say that their quality is excellent for the price. They pack features that nobody else carries in that price point and the glass is great by my standards. Is it a s&b or nightforce? Nope, but it's not over a $1k either.

I have used their scopes to shoot out to 400 yards without any problems. And plan to shoot further once I find a suitable range. I recommend them because I use them and I'm a happy customer.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
I would say that their quality is excellent for the price. They pack features that nobody else carries in that price point and the glass is great by my standards. Is it a s&b or nightforce? Nope, but it's not over a $1k either.

I have used their scopes to shoot out to 400 yards without any problems. And plan to shoot further once I find a suitable range. I recommend them because I use them and I'm a happy customer.
Are they delicate or can they take a little banging/accident? Hold zero?
Quote:
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Quote:
Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

The P-223 3-9x40 is about $150 right now. There was a special on the P-223 4-12x40 which included the P-Series mounts for free... dunno if it is over. I had my 3-9x40 and a friend had the 4-12x40 out this weekend but I didn't compare side by side unfortunately. I dunno if the 3-9 is clearer or brighter, but it looks good to me. Cabelas has a free shipping code over $99 right now = "44free". Check Midway for free shipping on Nikon as well.

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Was thinking of getting this scope to put on my fiances AR15, and would like the opinion of the scope section here

If anyone wishes to suggest another scope for us to consider, please leave recommendations here if this isn't a good one. I do have a few criteria though:
  • Cheap. Has to be around $200, preferably under that before tax.
  • Has to be decent/good quality, don't want it falling apart.
  • Reliable
  • Has to have a zoom. Eye adjustment would be nice, but not necessary.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

I would definitely consider the PA 1-6 ACSS 556 308 version, but it isn't in stock and a bit out of the $200 range. Probably more like $300 with an inexpensive mount. The P-223 3-9 you can get mounted for about $200 total.
Old 04-07-2014, 5:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Burris Fullfield II scopes are fantastic scopes. My hunting buddies have used them for countless years hunting in all weather conditions and they work awesome and are durable and clear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Burris-M...item23387476a4
Old 04-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Are they delicate or can they take a little banging/accident? Hold zero?
My scopes dont take too much abuse. Bouncing around the trunk is about as bad as it gets for my equipment. My 4-16x has held zero for 3 years now with no adjustment.