Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-09-2014, 5:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Spotting scopes: Angled vs. Straight

What do you prefer and why? I was about to pick up and angled scope, but started thinking about its limitations for anything other than viewing in a seated position. Starting to think more seriously about a straight scope now, but can't decide.
Old 02-09-2014, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I have both and feel like I prefer the angled. Shooting prone or low to the ground I think angled gives me more position options. I find it more difficult to use a straight when very close to the ground.

For everything else my tripod has so much adjustment and versatility it makes no difference angled vs straight.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 PM

No brainer... Angled.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

I can't see myself buying a straight ever again... except maybe for hunting or something.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's all personal preference, but angled. Honestly I think your assessment about the limitations regarding an angled vs. straight scope is backwards.

Prone, angled for sure. On a bench, still angled because I can just glance down into it. Standing, wouldn't matter if the scope is on a stand but you can still just glance down into it once you're in a decent position.

Don't want to look down at it? Tilt it 90 degrees and you can now just turn your head slightly to the left and see it. Maybe 45 degrees is more comfortable for you? That works too as long as your mount on the stand or the scope itself has an adjustment for it. Can't get any of that flexibility with a straight scope.
Old 02-11-2014, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

Angled, Konus 60mm or 80 mm or Kowa 80mm, no other choices unless you have more money then brains.
Old 02-11-2014, 2:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
Angled, Konus 60mm or 80 mm or Kowa 80mm, no other choices unless you have more money then brains.
Appreciate the input, but wasn't really looking for opinions on brands or how one should justify spending their money - just useability of the different types.
Old 02-11-2014, 2:49 PM
Banned

Default Angled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
It's all personal preference, but angled. Honestly I think your assessment about the limitations regarding an angled vs. straight scope is backwards.

Prone, angled for sure. On a bench, still angled because I can just glance down into it. Standing, wouldn't matter if the scope is on a stand but you can still just glance down into it once you're in a decent position.

Don't want to look down at it? Tilt it 90 degrees and you can now just turn your head slightly to the left and see it. Maybe 45 degrees is more comfortable for you? That works too as long as your mount on the stand or the scope itself has an adjustment for it. Can't get any of that flexibility with a straight scope.
This. I use a Konus 20-60 w/ 100mm objective. Very nice to be able to rotate the scope so the eyepiece is around 90 degrees so I can just turn my head a little to see into it.

An angled eyepiece simply offers a lot more flexibility as to orientation of the eyepiece to the shooter, which is something a straight scope cannot do.

Put simply, there are numerous advantages but no real disadvantages to an angled scope, regardless of which brand you choose.
Old 02-11-2014, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Angled for all positions (including prone). You can setup an angled spotting scope for prone such that you can look through your scope with minimal break in position. If you see how David Tubb and other elite shooters setup their spotting scopes for prone, all they do is cock their head over over slightly to see through the scope.

(forgive the hotlink of an image that doesn't belong to me)

I would only want straight if I was in a prone position spotting for another shooter in a 'field' situation and we're changing directions of fire constantly.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 02-12-2014, 8:43 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post

That really sums it up. Only needs I would ever have for a straight body are when hunting and doing a lot of windshield time. A straight body with window mount is the easiest in that case.

The modular systems by swaro and Nikon are pretty nice. you can now change back and forth as needed. Just a little pricey...

Trevor

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 04-02-2014, 3:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm glad I found this thread, as I have the same dilemma. One of the reasons I was considering straight, is for photography. Also, wouldn't the straight scope be clearer, because it doesn't have to "transfer" the image? Anyway, I'm eyeing Nikon 6975, found it for $469 OTD

Weapons Case Hotwire Foam Cutting

Quote:
We can't help you ignore yourself. - CGN
Quote:
Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz
Old 04-02-2014, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I prefer angled for exactly the reasons ocabj listed.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Old 04-02-2014, 9:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Angled
I like mine at the bench or standing up. Angled just suits me better.
Old 04-03-2014, 4:59 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a Konuspot80 - angled... I like it, but when I'm spotting for someone else, I prefer a straight eyepiece, my buddy has one and I use his when spotting - it's more comfortable for me.

It does make sense though, that angeled is more versatile when spotting your own shots.

------------------------------
Moving Sale: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1205319
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1205320 more coming soon
Old 04-04-2014, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

I went with a straight because I didn't know any better at the time. My next one will be angled.
Old 04-04-2014, 9:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If spotting for someone else ... straight
If spotting for yourself ... angled

Other than that ... it really is personal preference.

I own an angled spotting scope. It is very easy to use from the prone position.
Old 05-17-2014, 3:12 PM

Default Spotting scope

I bought the little MINOX 50mm 16-30x spotting scope . It is an angled scope great when prone or close to the ground. My low tripod for it is the old Polaroid Spectra tripod which is a Minolta table tripod from the Minolta CLE and Polaroid Spectra of some years ago. I love that little tripod for photo use as well...Under $20 on ebay similar in design to the Leica Table tripod but many times cheaper...I have one of those too

Ed
Old 05-17-2014, 6:42 PM

I had considered just this a few years ago and got a Pentax 65 straight through to save a few bucks over the angled. Used it for shooting off table and prone. For all the reasons stated in above posts, I realized the straight was a mistake. Traded it for the angled version and happy since.