Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-24-2014, 7:55 PM
Veteran Member

Default Help please, choosing a scope is killing me

I'd really appreciate some help finalizing scope decision for Rem 700 .308.

I have read quite a bit of scope reviews, articles on MOA vs mil reticules/turrets and other nuances, and browsed many, many threads... Honestly there is just too much stuff out there.

I was planning to spend in the $800 - $900 range, but the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x TMR has every feature I'm looking for, except price! I'm strongly considering this scope with TPS steel low rings and TPS steel 20moa base.

I have very little experience with optics since I primarily shoot irons/red dot out to ~200 yards, but I really want to do something different and try distance shooting at 600 - 1000 yards.

1. Should I snag a Mark 6? Is there a site with better price than $2,200?
2. Are TPS steel rings/base good enough? Should I look elsewhere or get aluminum?
3. will FFP be a problem at distance and should I get SFP instead? All I hear is positives about FFP, but there's always a catch right?

Thanks!!
Old 03-24-2014, 8:23 PM

if you gotta have a leupold then you gotta pay the price.
try talking a harley rider into another ride,same deal.
i'm not gonna tell you there are scopes just as good for less money and get hammered by leupold fans.
do some more research and read reviews.
burris signature zee rings. a real sleeper no lapping ,no marring,and adjustable for elevation and windage if needed.

Last edited by bubbala; 03-24-2014 at 8:30 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 8:30 PM
Banned

Redfield and Nikon also make great scopes, at half the price of Leupold's.

MOA reticles are better than mil dot reticles because they are more precise, and they allow you to make fast corrections within the scope as well as lead moving targets.

Check out the Redfield BattleZone scopes. Only $200 each at Cabela's.
Old 03-24-2014, 8:42 PM

Check out Vortex scopes. They have tons of options and prices and have the best warranty in the business.
You can get a Viper PST FFP 6-24x50 with illuminated reticle for less than $1000.

Vortex

Last edited by Cody; 03-24-2014 at 8:46 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 9:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbala View Post
if you gotta have a leupold then you gotta pay the price.
try talking a harley rider into another ride,same deal.
i'm not gonna tell you there are scopes just as good for less money and get hammered by leupold fans.
do some more research and read reviews.
burris signature zee rings. a real sleeper no lapping ,no marring,and adjustable for elevation and windage if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
Check out Vortex scopes. They have tons of options and prices and have the best warranty in the business.
You can get a Viper PST FFP 6-24x50 with illuminated reticle for less than $1000.

Vortex

Thanks for the suggestion on the rings and scope. Both added to my short list for comparisons.
Old 03-26-2014, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

I was hoping for more input on scopes feature compatible to Mark 6, but at the end of the day price wins...

So I've got a PST 6-24 w/MOA turrets on the way. Price seemed ok and is in budget, and honestly it looks like a great value scope.

If the weather this weekend is good I'll finally get to shoot my Rem 700
Old 03-29-2014, 7:39 AM

Bushnel HDMR G2. The original can still be found on places like amazon for like $1100.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-...pa4-14xffp.htm

Dimitri
Old 03-29-2014, 1:58 PM
Calguns Addict

If you are going to be ranging back and forth and using your turrets a lot, then a high quality optic should hold up to repeated use.

Some of the cheaper scopes are great if you zero your rifle at 200 yards and then use holdover on game or targets further out.

If you are planning on setting up your drop tables and correctly adjusting your scope between shots at different ranges and for wind, spend more.

I am also a fan of used optics. A used nightforce 5.5x 22 is a great choice.

The other nice thing is that a used optic of quality will hold its value in case you end up deciding that you want something different.

Don at long range shooter supply stocks higher end / longer range optics and occasionally has trade in models.

Snipers hide for sale section also tends to have more of the used $1,000-$3,000 optics than cal guns.
Old 03-29-2014, 1:59 PM
Calguns Addict

http://longrangesupply.com
Old 03-29-2014, 11:49 PM

+1 Bushnell
Old 03-30-2014, 5:36 AM

Consider Vortex. I have 3, and really like them
Old 03-30-2014, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimaryArms View Post
He's looking for a scope at a similar quality level of a leupold mk6 and that's your response? A chicom $100 scope? Seriously?

OP if you're gonna be playing at 600-1000yards look into an SWFA 5-20x50mm. Used ones that look new can be found for $1k. You will not find better glass at that price. It's easily better than a Vortex Viper.

However if $900 is your absolute max, the Vortex Viper is an excellent choice.

You can usually find used seekins rings for $100. Much better than TPS.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 03-30-2014, 1:07 PM
Veteran Member

Btw I regularly see the leupold mk6 selling used but like new on snipershide for $1700 or so. Seriously doubt you will be disappointed with it.

Whatever choice you make, make sure the knobs match the reticle... so moa turrets with moa reticle or mil turrets with mil reticle.

And if you plan to do any kind of shooting where you're not at max magnifications and do any type of wind holds, FFP is king and well worth it.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce

Last edited by HK Dave; 03-30-2014 at 1:09 PM..
Old 03-30-2014, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks95134 View Post
Redfield and Nikon also make great scopes, at half the price of Leupold's.

MOA reticles are better than mil dot reticles because they are more precise, and they allow you to make fast corrections within the scope as well as lead moving targets.

Check out the Redfield BattleZone scopes. Only $200 each at Cabela's.
Have you actually used both systems?

I own both MOA and MRAD based scopes and over the years started to favor the MRAD options even after starting out as a diehard MOA scope user.

You are correct in saying MOA is a more granular unit, but for practical purposes that really doesn’t matter. If you can actually tell the difference between .261” and .36” leading a target or holding over you must be one hell of a shooter. Difference in various reticle subtensions may just chew up the .099” difference.

Even if you dial correction I generally get more correction per revolution on MRAD turrets making it faster than MOA.

That said, I do like my MOA scopes for benchrest applications, and prefer them with SFP reticles in that role. All my field scopes and are MRAD based in FFP.

After using both systems they are both simple and easily adoptable. Switching back and forth presents no problems except for not having unified dope sheets to work from. Little more work, but it’s not a big deal.
Old 03-30-2014, 4:14 PM
CGN Contributor

Accept no substitute: Leupold. Your original instinct was correct.
Old 03-30-2014, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post

I own both MOA and MRAD based scopes and over the years started to favor the MRAD options even after starting out as a diehard MOA scope user.

You are correct in saying MOA is a more granular unit, but for practical purposes that really doesn’t matter. If you can actually tell the difference between .261” and .36” leading a target or holding over you must be one hell of a shooter. Difference in various reticle subtensions may just chew up the .099” difference.

Even if you dial correction I generally get more correction per revolution on MRAD turrets making it faster than MOA.

That said, I do like my MOA scopes for benchrest applications, and prefer them with SFP reticles in that role. All my field scopes and are MRAD based in FFP.

After using both systems they are both simple and easily adoptable. Switching back and forth presents no problems except for not having unified dope sheets to work from. Little more work, but it’s not a big deal.
This^^^

After moving to the mil system from moa, I began to realize just how intuitive it is in comparison.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Btw I regularly see the leupold mk6 selling used but like new on snipershide for $1700 or so. Seriously doubt you will be disappointed with it.

Whatever choice you make, make sure the knobs match the reticle... so moa turrets with moa reticle or mil turrets with mil reticle.

And if you plan to do any kind of shooting where you're not at max magnifications and do any type of wind holds, FFP is king and well worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
Accept no substitute: Leupold. Your original instinct was correct.

Thanks for the sound advice!

I would really have liked to pick up a Mark 6 and only recently started browsing snipershide, but I completely overlooked their for sale section.

That scope really hits all the relevant points for me; compact, light weight, perfect bell size, 34mm tube, magnification range, good power ring, excellent reticule, side parallax, matching reticule/turrets, turrets with zero stop/2nd rev indicator/locking/easy zero set, large adjustment range, good eye relief and eye box.

If I could have found that Mark 6 cheaper than $2200 I would have snagged it. There are just so many opinions on scopes that my conviction waivered. I ended up buying the Viper PST 6x24.

The PST hits most of my criteria; light weight, decent reticule, matching reticule/turrets, side parallax, ok magnification range, easy power ring adjustment, zero stop, rev indicator, price.

I'm not a fan of the illumination, length (15.5" vs 11.9"), objective bell, short adjustment range (65moa total, but should be no prob out to 1,000yd I hear), and I read some complaints on eye box.

Hopefully it will be a great scope to learn with since the whole precision shooting sport really appeals to me. You get to use nice tools, there's lots of technical aspects and equations, it builds experience, and if I can be decent at it I'd like to go to some matches and meet cool people. Of course if I can become decent at this it will give me an excuse to buy a higher quality optic and at that point I'll be able to appreciate it's greatness!

So in short, I settled on a cheaper but hopefully capable scope so I can learn, and in the future I'll be able to better appreciate the features/optics of the finer gear.

Last edited by AreWeFree; 06-26-2015 at 6:16 AM..
Old 03-30-2014, 11:05 PM

Although I have never used one, I hear nothing but great things about NightForce. Having said that, here is a little close out sale on some new inventory.
http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/nf_scope_sale.htm
Old 03-31-2014, 6:44 AM
Veteran Member

You picked up a great scope for the money.
Old 03-31-2014, 7:17 AM

Thumbs up Nightforce 5X22X56 NPR-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
I'd really appreciate some help finalizing scope decision for Rem 700 .308.

I have read quite a bit of scope reviews, articles on MOA vs mil reticules/turrets and other nuances, and browsed many, many threads... Honestly there is just too much stuff out there.

I was planning to spend in the $800 - $900 range, but the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x TMR has every feature I'm looking for, except price! I'm strongly considering this scope with TPS steel low rings and TPS steel 20moa base.

I have very little experience with optics since I primarily shoot irons/red dot out to ~200 yards, but I really want to do something different and try distance shooting at 600 - 1000 yards.

1. Should I snag a Mark 6? Is there a site with better price than $2,200?
2. Are TPS steel rings/base good enough? Should I look elsewhere or get aluminum?
3. will FFP be a problem at distance and should I get SFP instead? All I hear is positives about FFP, but there's always a catch right?

Thanks!!
I have a Rem 700 PSS in .308....I put a 5X22X56 Nightforce scope with the NPR-2 retical. This turns out to be the best I think I could do. I was able to put my rounds through a 3" diameter hole at 300 yards which worked for me. Good luck with your search. I was there also.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne
Old 03-31-2014, 7:29 AM
Calguns Addict

My opinion, not that you asked for it, is that the Vortex is nice overall. The glass isn't very clear, though. It's a good, popular scope with an amazing warranty, but you will probably find that 24x is overkill for a .308 and that you could have good clear glass in a more useable magnification for a little less money. 15-20x being the ideal mag range for a .308, your 18x Leupold would have been ideal. 24x is better if you're trying to find your target at extreme ranges or trying to put one in a squirrel's ear hole at 300.

That's my own experience, anyway. I shoot past 1200 with 15x and am perfectly fine with it.
Old 03-31-2014, 1:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Try to get a look at Vortex riflescopes, side by side with your other choices. Then compare the price tags.

Also, take a look at the DNZ ring/mount combos:

Made in the USA, in North Carolina.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/dnz-dedn...ope-mount.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/dnz-dedn...ope-mount.html

I have six on my own rifles, you could say I sort of like them.

Mark H.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 03-31-2014, 3:16 PM

I love the Trijicon Accupoint tr20 3-9x40.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon...cope-tr20.html
Old 05-23-2014, 1:55 PM

You can look out for the Nightforce NXS scopes. They should be compatible. For more details you can check this out: http://www.opticauthority.com/nightf...le-scopes.aspx
Old 05-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

^^ You're way late to the party, this thread is dead!

Last edited by AreWeFree; 06-26-2015 at 6:15 AM..