Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-10-2014, 6:23 AM

Default Bushnell Simmons worthless warranty

I own several Bushnell and Simmons products (all 1 company), including some higher end Elite scopes. I had never had to send an item in under warranty until recently.

When it came to choosing an inexpensive scope for a Ruger 10/22, I chose a Simmons 22 MAG for approximately $38. I figured that with Simmons Limited Lifetime Warranty, that is was a good value. The scope functioned flawlessly for several months until one day, I remounted it on the rifle after swapping rings, only to find that I was unable to zero the windage. There were several "dead" clicks in the adjustment range that would not move the reticle.

I sent the scope to Simmons, along with a copy of my receipt, and had full faith that Simmons would cover the unit under warranty. The cost to ship was $11 and per their website, CA residents do not need to include $10 for return shipping.

A week later, I get a letter from Bushnell, stating vaguely that the unit was not covered under warranty and that I can get a replacement unit for $42. I sent Bushnell Customer Support a kind email asking them to replace the unit under warranty. Their simple response was that the scope was damaged and not covered. So not only am I not getting a replacement scope, but Bushnell is blaming me for the damage.

Bushnell is a major company and sells millions of products each year to faithful consumers. Whether the scope was damaged or not, Bushnell should have faith in their customers and stand by their products. The scope originally cost $38 and probably cost $5 to make in China. Thousands of these scopes are probably sold each year, and most will be thrown in the trash if it breaks. Bushnell offers their limited warranty and if a customer will go through the trouble of sending a broken $38 scope to them, they should simply replace the unit.

I have lost faith in this company and will never purchase a Bushnell or Simmons product again, regardless of the level of warranty. If Bushnell cannot stand by my inexpensive Simmons 22 MAG, then I have no faith that
they will stand by the $800 Elite Tactical that I was shopping for.

As for inexpensive scopes that are made in China, from what I've read, both UTG and NCStar both stand behind their products, and will simply replace defective units, no questions asked.

AVCREW
Old 03-10-2014, 6:57 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Both UTG and NCStar make nothing worth using as well.

No offense but what did you expect for a $40 scope? With so many awesome products to be had between $100-200 new, just shop around for a while and get a deal on something used.
FS NIB Browning A5 12 gauge - $1,200 (over $300 off retail)
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1201509
Old 03-10-2014, 7:20 AM

The $40 scope met my expectations. Bushnell's warranty did not. The UTG NCstar statement was more to contrast their warranty policies.
Old 03-10-2014, 8:52 AM

Before the great mergermania, Simmons and similar companies made decent products with excellent warranties.
Simmons became a real toy scope company when the parent company, Blount Inc got ravaged by the greed merchants and spun off to Meade Optics. The die was cast. Since then there have been other take-overs, stock transfers and buy outs which did nothing for the quality of the products.
I have several "pre greed" Simmons scopes (22mag) 3x9x32AO at price point of $120.00 known as the Simmons 1022T. They are very worthy scopes for the 1022, made in the Philippines. I never had to test that warranty but anyone who did always got either a new replacement or a competent repair with a realistic turn around time.
It's a common belief that China makes crap......but they only make what's specified by the corporate greed merchants!
After all, they "ain't" Chinese companies ..They're American companies!

Fortunately there are still at least a few quality companies making quality products with realistic, fair prices and responsible warranties.
Old 03-10-2014, 9:13 AM

damn, and i just purchased a simmons scope for my 10/22.
Old 03-10-2014, 9:53 AM

its a cheap lesson. save more, buy better next time
Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 AM

I have no problems affording a better scope. The lesson learned is not about "getting what I paid for", but rather about buying products from a reputable company. Bushnell makes scopes that are "better" and more expensive, but are worthless if they don't stand by their warranty.

So in regard to "buy better next time", I agree. Buy from a better company.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 AM

____

Last edited by avcrew; 03-10-2014 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: double post
Old 03-10-2014, 1:01 PM

The old adage;buy once, cry once; could apply here. Leupold has 3x9's not much more than 2 bills.
Old 03-10-2014, 1:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Discussion of ncstar and utg aside(it doesn't matter if they'll happily send you more trash, it's still trash), what was the problem with the scope that bushnell wouldn't cover?

You mentioned that they said it was broken, but the only thing broken you described was the turret not working. Was that what they wouldn't cover, or did something else possibly happen to the scope in transit?
Old 03-10-2014, 1:29 PM

The windage adjustment had a majority of clicks that did nothing, no movement of reticle. Impossible to zero. No damage in transit. No physical damage to scope except a few small wear marks on turret covers. How Bushnell can say that an internal adjustment that no longer works is a result from damage to the scope is beyond me.
Old 03-10-2014, 1:31 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

There are no more entry level optics!

It sucks that a half way decent scope now cost $100....it is the new golden age for rifles however optics have fallen on hard times.
Old 03-10-2014, 1:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avcrew View Post
The windage adjustment had a majority of clicks that did nothing, no movement of reticle. Impossible to zero. No damage in transit. No physical damage to scope except a few small wear marks on turret covers. How Bushnell can say that an internal adjustment that no longer works is a result from damage to the scope is beyond me.
That is indeed pretty crappy. Claiming there was damage not covered under warranty makes it sound like the tube got bent during shipping, or maybe a lens busted from impact.

Have you tried calling them at all? Might have better luck with a human being on the line.
Old 03-10-2014, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Bushnell has an awesome wArranty on their elite line of scopes. He who buys cheap buys often.
Old 03-10-2014, 1:57 PM

Same problem with a set b of Bushnell variable power binoculars. They sent me the same letter stating damage was not covered due to dropping them. They were not dropped. They lived in my bow case and had a set of shoulder straps on them to make sure they werent dropped. They only cost me about 130 dollars but they replaced them with a set of chinese made ones that I had to pay 49 bucks to replace through them. The retail on them is only about 80. Wont be buying Bushnell again. Vortex and Burris are two companies yhat have stood by their warranties with me no questions asked, and they both have a rapid turn around time to boot.
Old 03-10-2014, 1:59 PM

Bushnell may have an awesome warranty on there premium scopes, and I do own one, and was about to pull the trigger on an Elite Tactical, but I will no longer patronize them.
Old 03-10-2014, 7:01 PM

Try Redfield the Made in USA line. No questions warranty.

I really wish more people would seek out the Made in USA options. I know, they are not always available at a certain price point. Save more, pay more, invest in the USA and get a better product.
Old 03-10-2014, 9:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

so what are you going to do for your under $50 scopes? barska,tasco
Old 03-10-2014, 9:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumey View Post

I really wish more people would seek out the Made in USA options. I know, they are not always available at a certain price point. Save more, pay more, invest in the USA and get a better product.
You say you wish people would seek out made in the USA options, and the option you list isn't made in the USA.

They're assembled in the USA, using a bunch of components made overseas like every other scope company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
so what are you going to do for your under $50 scopes? barska,tasco
Personally I think they're all junk and should be avoided. The step up to something decent in the $125-175 range might mean you need to lay off the starbucks and eat some ramen for a while if you can't just plop down the cash, but the products from say.. the Nikon rimfire line, or even Mueller, are far better than the crap littering the shelves of Big 5 for $50.

Yeah, putting a $150 scope on a $200 rifle, plus rings and bases might be a tough pill for some people to swallow at first, but you're avoiding the bottom of the barrel and ending up with something that has a far better chance at actually lasting as long as that $200 rifle.

Last edited by Merc1138; 03-10-2014 at 9:40 PM..
Old 03-11-2014, 3:16 PM

Read that Bushnell fine print.. you might be surprised!
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 03-11-2014, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

What really sold me about your argument is the fact that it is a $38 scope, that is massively produced, and they STILL didn't send you a replacement. They should feel a sense of honor that someone actually wants to replace a free product (in my cases scopes have been mounted on Savage rifles) - but they refused.

Really shocked. I have those on my new shooters rifles, and they work great too. But that really upsets me. Maybe I'll buy some Nikon at the right time for the entire arsenal.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 03-12-2014, 5:02 PM

I have dealt with several companies that offer a "lifetime" warranty, and then fail to repair/replace the product when it fails. Masterlock is the last company I have had that experience with. Their combination padlocks turned to garbage when they outsourced them to China about 6 years ago, and now they do not want to warranty the inferior product they sold (and of which probably increased their profit margin 500% on these cheap locks). Guess what? The company I work for purchases several dozen padlocks every few years. We will never again purchase anything from their company.

Sorry to hear Bushnell is now in that same shyster category and I'll be sure to avoid any of their products. I was considering a Bushnell Elite scope, but with the many competing products in their price range, will purchase from another manufacturer with a no BS warranty.
Old 03-31-2014, 2:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumey View Post

And with that in mind, DNZ ring/mount combinations are made in North Carolina.

It makes me happy when someome calls in with a Ruger, and buys a Redfield Revolution (Oregon) and a DNZ mount (North Carolina).

Mark H.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!