Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-16-2008, 6:00 PM

Default Adjusting the rear sight on an M1 carbine

I'm taking my Dad's M1 Carbine to the range and I've noticed the rear sight is shifted all the way left.. I can see no method to move the rear sight, nor even a way to loosen it.

Any thoughts?

-Peter (sorry if this is dumb question, I just have next to no experience with this firearm.)
.................................................. ..........................................
Old 07-16-2008, 6:17 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You'l lhave to use a drift punch to drift the rear sight. Is this one the the Italian CMP Carbines? All of mine I received came withthe rear sights drifted over to the left and I had to center them.

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 07-16-2008, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAhighpowershooter View Post
You'l lhave to use a drift punch to drift the rear sight. Is this one the the Italian CMP Carbines? All of mine I received came withthe rear sights drifted over to the left and I had to center them.

This was purchased by my Father in 1958 (from the NRA I believe), I have little info on it.. He asked me to take it out and stretch it's legs a bit..

Please explain the "drift punch".. Is it a specific tool, or can I use a dowel and hammer to bump it over?

-Peter
.................................................. ..........................................
Old 07-16-2008, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

How about you actually shoot it first before you go messing with the sights? You might be trying to "fix" something that's already fixed.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 07-16-2008, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgfate View Post
How about you actually shoot it first before you go messing with the sights? You might be trying to "fix" something that's already fixed.
Wise advice, but I was told that the last time it was fired the sights were off.. So, I said I'd look into it.. Thats when I noticed the rear sight is way left. I'm going to do my best to zero it at the range, and needed to know how to adjust the rear sight to do that..
Old 07-16-2008, 9:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Ah, ok then.

Remember to put some support beneath the receiver when you drift the sight as it will usually take some work to get it moving. You really don't want to crack the dovetail!

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785