Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-07-2014, 8:35 PM

Exclamation Paid for non blem PSA pistol upper, received blem pistol upper. What do I do?

I ordered a non blem PSA pistol upper (link) and I finally got it yesterday.

I opened up the box & saw this and thought "Yes, finally! My pistol is finally complete."

I start looking it over and see some very obvious blems around the pivot pin area and under the dust cover area:

And then under the forward assist area:

And then finally inside the area where the bolt carrier goes & where it attaches near the takedown pin:

To me, this is obviously a blem upper. I'm thinking of calling PSA on Monday and asking if I can get a partial refund for the blems. It took about a month for this upper to get to me and I'd rather not send it back and wait for a replacement/repair.

Has anybody else had this experience? Does my proposed solution seem reasonable? What would be a reasonable amount of partial refund to request? $100? I paid $400 for the upper.

It looks to me as if the anodizing is coming/wearing off.

Thanks.

Traveling 2A-friendly Notary Public serving OC and parts of LA counties. Please PM for more information.

Last edited by nil; 03-08-2014 at 2:37 AM..
Old 03-07-2014, 8:39 PM

100 seems reasonable . have you checked out the pricing between blem vs non blem ?
Old 03-07-2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
100 seems reasonable . have you checked out the pricing between blem vs non blem ?
There's no blem option of this particular upper. I was also thinking I could ask for a BCG & charging handle since it didn't come with one.

Traveling 2A-friendly Notary Public serving OC and parts of LA counties. Please PM for more information.
Old 03-07-2014, 8:43 PM

That looks like the upper I got from PSA, it was a $400 upper so I didn't expect it to be in the same class as Noveske.

I would email or PM PSA, they are active on Calguns. Work something out, maybe you can get some store credit or a nice discount on your next purchase.

That looks like it might be wear from them test firing it, it probably won't be visible when its assembled. But its understandable that you don't want any "blems" on a new upper. PSA will take care of you.
Old 03-07-2014, 8:44 PM

It actually just looks used. I would certainly see if they will give you some sort of refund for sure, or at least swap you for a NEW new one.

Old 03-07-2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762ch View Post
That looks like the upper I got from PSA, it was a $400 upper so I didn't expect it to be in the same class as Noveske.

I would email or PM PSA, they are active on Calguns. Work something out, maybe you can get some store credit or a nice discount on your next purchase.

That looks like it might be wear from them test firing it, it probably won't be visible when its assembled. But its understandable that you don't want any "blems" on a new upper. PSA will take care of you.
My AR rifle I've put about 1500 rounds through still doesn't show that kind of wear and I haven't given it any sort of special treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
It actually just looks used. I would certainly see if they will give you some sort of refund for sure, or at least swap you for a NEW new one.
I need to check down the barrel & see if it looks the same inside. The upper receiver for sure is not new or non blem.

Old 03-07-2014, 9:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Man that looks like some wear, I looked at 3 of my uppers just right now ranging from 500 rounds to 2,000 rounds and none of them look anywhere close to the amount of wear that your has. Looks used to me.
Old 03-08-2014, 3:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It does say on their site that all uppers are test fired. Maybe yours was just test fired a few more thousand times than most?
Old 03-08-2014, 4:31 AM
Calguns Addict

My two PSA uppers don't look like that.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:06 AM

Anything I should look for in the barrel?

Old 03-08-2014, 11:09 AM

That is NOT a blem upper. That is a USED upper. One more reason I will never deal with PSA.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:36 AM

Definitely a used upper, how does it fit on you lower?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

If you haven't contacted PSA then you jumped the gun on making a thread about it.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Ask for a full refund. Even a price discount, you're never going to be happy looking at it days, weeks, months, years down the road.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdben92883 View Post
It does say on their site that all uppers are test fired. Maybe yours was just test fired a few more thousand times than most?

Lol
Old 03-08-2014, 12:06 PM

I had some issues with my chf middy I bought last month. I called, it took about 15 mins to get someone on the phone but when they did answer no questions asked they asked if my email on my account was the current one and sent me a return shipping label. Once they got it they had it for 2 days and sent it back with a new receiver installed and a letter apologizing for the headache. I was very happy with way they dealt with it. I was also cringing on how long it would take to get it back but it was about a week and a half all said and done. Good luck
Old 03-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberatore View Post
If you haven't contacted PSA then you jumped the gun on making a thread about it.
I didn't know what (if anything) was wrong with it & was asking for opinions from Calgunners. If it was just a blem, I could ask for a partial refund. Now I know that it's much more than a blem and I have more information.

Last edited by nil; 03-08-2014 at 1:08 PM..
Old 03-08-2014, 12:29 PM

I stopped buying psa products after they sent me a crap bcg that was advertised as something other than they sent me..... and they wouldn't take it back.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:56 PM

you should have ordered the "blem" upper. my blem upper is super clean no blems

" Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison
Old 03-08-2014, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
^^^^^this

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 03-08-2014, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfan275 View Post
I had some issues with my chf middy I bought last month. I called, it took about 15 mins to get someone on the phone but when they did answer no questions asked they asked if my email on my account was the current one and sent me a return shipping label. Once they got it they had it for 2 days and sent it back with a new receiver installed and a letter apologizing for the headache. I was very happy with way they dealt with it. I was also cringing on how long it would take to get it back but it was about a week and a half all said and done. Good luck
That's not bad.

Old 03-08-2014, 3:13 PM

I bought a Middy that was blemished so I contacted them by phone (they don't answer emails), had the patience to wait for about 30 minutes, but when I did get through, the representative emailed me a shipping label. The turn around time was fast. From reading negative feedbacks about PSA shipping I was prepared to wait. But it worked out well for me.

Also they have a representative in this forum, user name "Palmetto State Armory", he responds very timely. Saw his replies in one of those PSA threads and so I PMed him. I always get a reply from him and he even gave me the tracking# when there was no automatic notification for shipment/tracking.

By the way, the blemish was on the upper receiver. I was offered $30 refund for the blemish from PSA member in this forum, but it had a small chip on the side near the PSA logo. I would have let it go if it were just paint wear like in the pictures you showed considering all the potential hassle you have to go through with PSA Customer Service (all the worries that they may not have replacement in stock and the unknown wait time). I actually just feel lucky I got the receiver back on a timely manner and they got it right.

To make you feel better, I was able to shoot the built rifle yesterday and the casings just marred my brass deflector and I do see some wear on the pivot pin area.

Last edited by colhazard; 03-08-2014 at 3:57 PM.. Reason: Added more info about the blemish.
Old 03-08-2014, 3:22 PM

Thats not a blem man thats just what happened when they test fired it and mounted it to a lower you wont see that when its mounted to a lower.
Old 03-08-2014, 3:25 PM

Its not a used upper. It was mounted to a lower and test fired and Obviously it was tight fitting. 1 of mine also looked that way. Everyone is gonna jump all over me for being a fan boy but there's no marks anywhere else from the pictures.
Old 03-08-2014, 3:36 PM

Try ryan.johnson@palmettostatearmory.com he always gets back to me but I really do think thats just scratches from test fire. It will function totally fine. Will you see it when assembled?
Old 03-08-2014, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrump View Post
Thats not a blem man thats just what happened when they test fired it and mounted it to a lower you wont see that when its mounted to a lower.
I've put 1500 rounds though my Colt upper & it looks 100x better than that. The anodizing is coming off on what I was sent.

If test firing 1-10 rounds does that to their product, I don't see why anyone buys PSA products.

Thanks for the email. I sent him the pictures.

Old 03-08-2014, 3:40 PM

Quote:
I highly doubt those marks are from test firing. If so, PSA has some horrible coatings. I have uppers with thousands of rounds through them and they don't show even close to as much wear.

Last edited by connorr931; 03-08-2014 at 4:12 PM..
Old 03-08-2014, 3:46 PM

Dang. My blem from PSA 39.99 barely had blems. Call them. Take pics and email them. They're a stand up company. Sure they will make it right
Old 03-08-2014, 4:00 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorr931 View Post
That is NOT a blem upper. That is a USED upper. One more reason I will never deal with PSA.
Exactly, obvious this was mounted and fired more than once. Not a blem., but USED!
Old 03-08-2014, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil View Post
I've put 1500 rounds though my Colt upper & it looks 100x better than that. The anodizing is coming off on what I was sent.

If test firing 1-10 rounds does that to their product, I don't see why anyone buys PSA products.

Thanks for the email. I sent him the pictures.
Okay return it then if your so unhappy but realize it will function fine and is a great value to begin with. This is why we buy psa. I just really doubt that someone fired 5000 freakin rounds through that upper n put it back on the line. I think its more likely that the upper n lower used did not fit together loosely because there was likely a bit too much ano on the contact parts and also was probably scratched on the work bench and in packaging. I would be mad too if the barrel had wear or the scratches were somewhere I could see them when upper and lower are mounted together. But I guess im crazy and its so obvious that psa fired this upper a hell of a lotta times and sell it used as brand new non blem to make a few bucks.

I just dont think thats what happened
Old 03-08-2014, 5:04 PM

^^^ HAHA! You and TP'n crack me up. You love PSA long time. We get it, stop takin ***** so personal.
Old 03-08-2014, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs762 View Post
^^^ HAHA! You and TP'n crack me up. You love PSA long time. We get it, stop takin ***** so personal.
All im saying here is being frustrated bout it id normal but to say straight up they fired thousands of rounds through it and then decided to screw you over by selling it to you is ridiculous. Is there absolutely no other possibility here?

Oh by the way cs762 your SOOO f****n funny and incredibly original in your comments.
Old 03-08-2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Okay return it then if your so unhappy but realize it will function fine and is a great value to begin with. This is why we buy psa. I just really doubt that someone fired 5000 freakin rounds through that upper n put it back on the line. I think its more likely that the upper n lower used did not fit together loosely because there was likely a bit too much ano on the contact parts and also was probably scratched on the work bench and in packaging. I would be mad too if the barrel had wear or the scratches were somewhere I could see them when upper and lower are mounted together. But I guess im crazy and its so obvious that psa fired this upper a hell of a lotta times and sell it used as brand new non blem to make a few bucks.

I just dont think thats what happened
Yikes. New car dealerships, and their often secondarily associated used car sales lots under the same ownership, love your attitude of dishing off "cream puffs" to easily impressed buyers.

C'mon PSA, that looks nasty, and is a blem, or rode hard and put away wet, on its face.
Old 03-08-2014, 5:38 PM

Quote:
I know, right? Making a person wait a month and then sending them the wrong thing is something that can be fixed. They can go back in time and send the right thing, for sure.
Old 03-08-2014, 6:07 PM

OP, Try that email address I sent -ryan.johnson@palmettostatearmory.com he is usually very fast and sent me extra screws for my rail right away. I understand frustration over blem vs non blem but I highly doubt they sold you one of their personally used uppers to make some more money. They will take it back and replace it. It will be much faster than the original wait time and shipping times.
Old 03-08-2014, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs762 View Post
This! ^^^^^

Old 03-08-2014, 7:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
All im saying here is being frustrated bout it id normal but to say straight up they fired thousands of rounds through it and then decided to screw you over by selling it to you is ridiculous. Is there absolutely no other possibility here?

Oh by the way cs762 your SOOO f****n funny and incredibly original in your comments.
LOL @ Dtrump. The PSA Fan boy force is strong with this one.

I've only been a member on this forum for only 2 years. I still consider myself a rookie compared to other members here on that been here longer, but I've been on this forum long enough to see PSA do the following stuff:

ship stuff 3 months later
ship missing parts
ship uppers and barrels that are out of spec
ship someone a complete upper when they ordered just a BCG
ship someone a used upper that belonged to someone else that was under warranty

With any other company like BCM, Spike's, Daniel Defense, Noveske etc. I would say no; but I can't help to say I'm not suprise by PSA. Keep in mind I have bought from PSA before, their product and service is worth the prices they sale it for, nothing more.

Last edited by Checkk; 03-08-2014 at 7:21 PM..
Old 03-08-2014, 8:26 PM

I can understand that people who have come to love PSA for their quality and prices may be quick to come to PSA's defense.

My only intention was to get more information about what could have happened before I called PSA. Now that I have a few opinions and options from fellow Calgunners I'm better informed and now know what I can expect from PSA.

Old 03-08-2014, 8:31 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShagg View Post
I know, right? Making a person wait a month and then sending them the wrong thing is something that can be fixed. They can go back in time and send the right thing, for sure.

Calguns can't fix it. PSA can. Make sense now?
Old 03-08-2014, 8:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think they don't count the insides as blemished :/ Really, when you attach it, you won't see any of that. Just mark it with some black marker and slap it on. For the people thinking it's used, I doubt highly it is. More than likely poor quality control with applying the finish and it's left looking odd in some places. If the barrel and the feed ramps look good, then that's fine. PSA, whether you buy the blemished or non blemished, its a cheaper brand that you shouldn't expect to get Noveske or Daniel Defense quality. But you also can buy 2-3 for the price of one, so it all depends on what you really want. But attach it and shoot it, it looks great on the outside, which is all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil View Post
I ordered a non blem PSA pistol upper (link) and I finally got it yesterday.

I opened up the box & saw this and thought "Yes, finally! My pistol is finally complete."

To me, this is obviously a blem upper. I'm thinking of calling PSA on Monday and asking if I can get a partial refund for the blems. It took about a month for this upper to get to me and I'd rather not send it back and wait for a replacement/repair.

Has anybody else had this experience? Does my proposed solution seem reasonable? What would be a reasonable amount of partial refund to request? $100? I paid $400 for the upper.

It looks to me as if the anodizing is coming/wearing off.

Thanks.