Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-02-2014, 1:28 AM

Only room left for 1 more lower.

As of right now, if everybody who's said they are in shows up, the cost per lower is $8.68.

I should have a finalized drop off date by Wednesday or Thursday. Once I have a drop off date/time I will PM all the confirmed members. The plan is to drop off by next weekend.

Traveling 2A-friendly Notary Public serving OC and parts of LA counties. Please PM for more information.

Last edited by nil; 03-02-2014 at 1:32 AM..
Old 03-02-2014, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can you confirm whether they will beadblast the lowers and if they have an FFL?
Old 03-02-2014, 9:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themood View Post
If the shop is keeping them for a week, they either have an FFL, or they are ignoring the usual requirement of having an FFL in order to keep a firearm overnight.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 03-02-2014, 9:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That's my concern...ignoring the requirement
Old 03-02-2014, 9:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's my concern...ignoring the requirement
It could be that they are just not aware of the requirement.
I would put most anodizers in that category...

At the price they are charging (1 lot charge for all the lowers), I doubt they are booking the receivers in and out.

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
If the shop is keeping them for a week, they either have an FFL, or they are ignoring the usual requirement of having an FFL in order to keep a firearm overnight.
I'm not in contact with the shop directly. Another Calgunner MilSpecMonkey is in contact with the shop and I'm managing the list. I've asked him for clarification.

-----

Randall,

I was test fitting the 80% I milled out and it looks like the hammer and trigger pin holes are higher up on the left side than they are on the right side. The pins still went through, but barely. Can this be fixed?

Traveling 2A-friendly Notary Public serving OC and parts of LA counties. Please PM for more information.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil View Post
I'm not in contact with the shop directly. Another Calgunner MilSpecMonkey is in contact with the shop and I'm managing the list. I've asked him for clarification.

-----

Randall,

I was test fitting the 80% I milled out and it looks like the hammer and trigger pin holes are higher up on the left side than they are on the right side. The pins still went through, but barely. Can this be fixed?
If the holes are not lined up, there is no correcting it, as far as I know. You'd have to drill them in the right place which would over lap the wrong hole making one big hole.

When drilling those out next time, be sure to go slow and steady or you will flex the bit causing the holes to not line up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmSti View Post
If the holes are not lined up, there is no correcting it, as far as I know. You'd have to drill them in the right place which would over lap the wrong hole making one big hole.

When drilling those out next time, be sure to go slow and steady or you will flex the bit causing the holes to not line up.

Great... I don't think I can get another 80% delivered, engraved and milled in the next week.

Old 03-02-2014, 3:47 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Count me in for the last spot
Old 03-02-2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeeboi View Post
Count me in for the last spot
Done.

All 20 slots are filled for the group buy. The final price should be $8.25 per lower.

Old 03-02-2014, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Attachment 307231

Example of AnoTech type 3 for $20 cash.

If anyone is interested in these above in 80% form let me know. $160 at my LGS. Embossed trident logo, bolt catch tapped w/ set screw as opposed to a roll pin. 7000 series billet aluminum. Fantastic tolerances.

Full Spectrum Firearms in Fresno sells them.

Ano Tech in Clovis also does cheap anodizing. Hard type 3. $120 check/charge or $20 cash. Drop off and leave. Very pro 2a shop.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The better way is to drill the holes through the lower BEFORE you mill the pocket.
When done that way, the drill bit is supported by the base metal all the way through instead of spanning the void left by the fire control pocket.

Old 03-03-2014, 1:38 PM

Quote:
The better way is to drill the holes through the lower BEFORE you mill the pocket.
When done that way, the drill bit is supported by the base metal all the way through instead of spanning the void left by the fire control pocket.
^ this
Old 03-03-2014, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Well... It looks like I'm out of the group buy until I can get another 80% delivered & milled.

Old 03-03-2014, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil View Post
Well... It looks like I'm out of the group buy until I can get another 80% delivered & milled.
You can still save it if you wanted to. I've seen people ream the trigger pin holes and either use the larger pin FCG's or ream the holes and use inserts in the same way that some lower jigs have steel insert guides. I don't know if that makes sense but I would definitely try to get that fixed if I was you. Depending on how far off the holes are, you may still have a chance to fix it
Old 03-03-2014, 3:12 PM

Did the deal include bead blasting?
Old 03-03-2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlady View Post
You can still save it if you wanted to. I've seen people ream the trigger pin holes and either use the larger pin FCG's or ream the holes and use inserts in the same way that some lower jigs have steel insert guides. I don't know if that makes sense but I would definitely try to get that fixed if I was you. Depending on how far off the holes are, you may still have a chance to fix it
Yeah I'm going to call/email around and see what's available and what my options are. But for now I don't want to delay the group buy so I've removed my name from the list.

From here on out, MilSpecMonkey is going to take over the GB. He's been in contact with the anodizer. Please forward any questions to him.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2014, 9:01 AM

Updated list for our anodizing Group Buy as of 3/17/2014 9:28AM

Group Buy List
[Closed] Thanks for all those that participated.
Total: 18 lower receivers
9 7075-T6
9 6061-T6

For those of you guys who have picked up your lowers from me, could you guys do me a huge favor and leave me some positive seller feedback. I would appreciate that. Hope you guys enjoy your lowers and builds. =)

NOTE: Those that have paid will have a P at the end
Those that have picked up and received their lowers will have their s/n striked out.
Important + FAQS:

How much is it going to cost?
Group Buy is OVER and CLOSED. Please stay tuned. Might be doing another GB in 3-4 months time

Will the anodizer separate out the 7075-T6 lowers and 6061-T6 lowers from each other and process them separately for anodizing?
Yes, they will. I have received e-mail confirmation that this is standard process to sort out the different material lower receivers from each other. I will be write what kind of material everyone's lower receivers and if they need bead blasting or not on some blue painters tape. I will sort out everyone's lowers before I get to the anodizer.

Does the anodizer know how to bead blasting the lower receivers?
Yes, the anodizer will be doing a fine and light media blast with what I believe is glass media. This will give your lower receiver a light dull/matte finish. Most store bought lower receivers are media blasted that given then that light matte finish and a cleaner look after they're anodized. This is optional finish that has an additional charge.

Pick Up
Well the Group Buy has come to a close and it's time for you guys to pick up your lowers.

Alpha Rendezvous Point:
Starbucks
17850 Newhope St
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
Time: 5-6PM
People I'm meeting there vlady, veeklog, themood, 82ranger, Diesel12

Please call me when you get there and I'll come meet you up. Please do not PM when you get there. If you don't have my cell phone number, please PM me and I'll provide it to you.

Engraving
Your lower receiver MUST be engraved with some sort of identifiable mark so you can recognize that it's your lower receiver. No engraving by the pick up date and I will have to go with one of the guys on the standby list. I missed the another member's group buy because I didn't have my lower engraved.

What kind of lowers?
I'm assuming that everyone has AR-15 lowers. If you have AR-10 lowers, let me know. I'm sure it should be okay and price won't really be that big of a deal.

Process:
We will be doing MIL-A-8625 Type III hardcoat anodizing (Black) for our lower receivers. We won't be doing other colors at this time.

I got left out of the GB, what about me?
If we can get more people and lowers, we can maybe do another tree, but I'm not sure if we want to keep our group buy open for another few weeks and dilly dally any longer than necessary. If people are interested I may do another group buy in a few months, so if you missed out, hold your horses since I might have a few more projects I might want to finish up in the near future.

We sure do have a quite a few people in the group buy that love monkeys.

Last edited by MilSpecMonkey; 04-04-2014 at 8:47 AM..
Old 03-04-2014, 9:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilSpecMonkey View Post

What kind of lowers?

Make sure all lowers are the same alloy of aluminum.
Your anodizer will want to run the 6061 and 7075 pieces in their own batches and will likely charge you a "lot charge" for each lot.

Old 03-04-2014, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Make sure all lowers are the same alloy of aluminum.
Your anodizer will want to run the 6061 and 7075 pieces in their own batches and will likely charge you a "lot charge" for each lot.
Thanks a lot for the information. I'll message everyone and find out what kind of lower receivers they have.
Old 03-04-2014, 2:54 PM

Is there someway of knowing which markings or engraving symbols have been taken? I know the chances are slim but I wouldn't want to engrave something on the pistol grip area only to find out somebody else has the same mark.
Old 03-04-2014, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger13 View Post
Is there someway of knowing which markings or engraving symbols have been taken? I know the chances are slim but I wouldn't want to engrave something on the pistol grip area only to find out somebody else has the same mark.
Just put your initials or some random number on there. If there are 10 of us, I doubt we'll run into duplicate issues. I can bring my dremmel and engraving bit just in case though
Old 03-04-2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Just put your initials or some random number on there. If there are 10 of us, I doubt we'll run into duplicate issues. I can bring my dremmel and engraving bit just in case though
Hey vlady, could I please use your dremmel and engraving to mark my lower prior to our anodizing? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfedsti View Post
Hey vlady, could I please use your dremmel and engraving to mark my lower prior to our anodizing? Thanks in advance.
Not a problem. As long as the anodizer will let us use their power. Btw, are you a subie guy?

Last edited by vlady; 03-04-2014 at 7:05 PM..
Old 03-05-2014, 12:11 PM

For those of you guys that might need engraving for your lower receivers.

I got my lower engraved from Victor at Micro Laser Welding. Many calgunners have used him before and have had good results. He has able to do pretty deep laser engraving, even beyond what is required by the ATF.

Example of work from MLW:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...+Laser+Welding

There is also Sure Shot Precision out in the Valley. I've never used them before and can't account for their work but it does seem they're pretty big.
http://www.sureshotprecision.com/
Old 03-05-2014, 12:46 PM

Victor does great work! I have 2 builds with his engravings. Do you have a date set yet for the drop off?
Old 03-05-2014, 2:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sureshot does great work. I just got 2 lowers back from them. My only caveat is to finalize your artwork then make an appointment to do it in person. I sent my paperweights to them in October and was assured it would only take two weeks. I finally got them back last week, and that was only due to me calling them every day until it was done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-05-2014, 9:13 PM

Quote:
For those of you guys that might need engraving for your lower receivers.

I got my lower engraved from Victor at Micro Laser Welding. Many calgunners have used him before and have had good results. He has able to do pretty deep laser engraving, even beyond what is required by the ATF.

Example of work from MLW:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...+Laser+Welding
That's the guy I go to for my engraving. He does great work.

Is there a stand by list? Just in case someone leaves the buy in. I have a lower I would like anodized. LMK if there is. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2014, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Sureshot does great work. I just got 2 lowers back from them. My only caveat is to finalize your artwork then make an appointment to do it in person. I sent my paperweights to them in October and was assured it would only take two weeks. I finally got them back last week, and that was only due to me calling them every day until it was done.
I was about to go to Sureshot Precision after seeing their website and what not, but I decided to go give MLW a try after seeing how many calgunners have had good results with him. I guess I'm glad I didn't go there after hearing about your experience.
Old 03-06-2014, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVIOUS View Post
That's the guy I go to for my engraving. He does great work.

Is there a stand by list? Just in case someone leaves the buy in. I have a lower I would like anodized. LMK if there is. Thanks.
I'll add a stand by list to this thread just in case anyone can't make it or I can't reach anyone. If not, maybe I'll keep a list for the next time people want to do a Group Buy. Note: there is one person ahead of you for the standby list.
Old 03-06-2014, 9:36 PM

Quote:
I'll add a stand by list to this thread just in case anyone can't make it or I can't reach anyone. If not, maybe I'll keep a list for the next time people want to do a Group Buy. Note: there is one person ahead of you for the standby list.
Mines a 6061-T6. If I don't make this one. Keep me on the list for the next Group Buy. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2014, 8:05 AM

NOTE: Please make sure you have all of your lower receivers engraved with some identifiable marking. Quite a lot of us have TM or standard forged lower receivers. If you don't have your lowers engraved, I'm going to have to use the people on the standby list.

For my lower, I engraved my own roll mark on the left side, serial #, fictitious company, city and state, and also selector markings. You don't have to engrave everything like me nor am I telling you guys to engrave your lower like something you would get from a manufacturer, but just make sure it's identifiable. I mean if you've been to engraving shops, I'm sure everyone has seen lowers just marked with a Stormtrooper head.

Just use common sense and be smart. I just don't want anyone coming to me and saying they got someone else's lower or what not.

If you guys know of any engravers or can help the people that haven't had their lowers marked, feel free to post.
Old 03-07-2014, 9:08 AM

So what's the plan on drop off date?
Old 03-07-2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:
So what's the plan on drop off date?
Please see updated Poll above. You can either respond to the thread or PM me privately with your response. Thanks. I will arrange pick up and drop off times are we get a consensus.
Old 03-07-2014, 3:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I vote for the more expensive Anodizer B. I don't think Anodizer A should be an option unless they can do 1 day turnarounds since they have no FFL.

The price and time frame for Anodizer A is definitely more appealing, but I'm not going to risk getting in trouble and losing my lower over $20.
Old 03-07-2014, 5:18 PM

Agree with munkeeboi.
Old 03-07-2014, 5:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Me too. As long as they are familiar with bead blasting AR's.
Old 03-07-2014, 6:27 PM

Cut off date for voting will be Sat 3/8 at 12PM. Thanks for those that expressed your opinions. Waiting to hear back from a few more people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2014, 7:21 PM

Sorry, finally returned your PM. Hope I didn't hold up the others.
Old 03-09-2014, 4:52 PM

DROP OFF INFORMATION. Please Read
Just finished checking some of the PMs I received over the weekend. I've updated info about drop off on Post #58. I've also copy and pasted the info down below since my post has quite a lot of info to sift through now.

Let me know if this works out for you guys. I really like wish I could give you guys more of a head ups notice, but I hope Wednesday evening works out for all those that live in OC. If you guys can't make it at this time, let me know.

Update for Dropping Off lowers (OC people)
- How long should we leave the drop off time? The sooner I can collect all the lower receivers, the sooner, I can drop them off to the anodizer to begin the work.
- When would be a good time to meet? I'm assuming that most of you guys have full time jobs and probably don't get off till 6 or 7PM. Would maybe a 3 hour window period be okay for you guys (6-9PM)? I'm going to leave work early to meet you guys up. I'm available on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening. I think Monday might be too last minute for you guys, so would this Wed 3/12/2014 be okay for you guys?
- I was thinking about Starbucks in Fountain Valley which is not too far from RifleGear. They close at 9PM unfortunately. The 405 should clear up in the evening for those of you guys coming from other parts of OC.
- If you can't make it out at that time, I live in the LA/Pasadena and can arrange another time possibly to meet you up, please PM and I'll work something out with you. Please message me ASAP since I don't want to drag this GB out any longer than it has to.
- I will have a lockable ammo can with a lock on it. I will probably be at Starbucks doing some reading on my tablet. Please give me a call and I'll come out and meet you up to collect your lower, money and take down your contact info.
Starbucks
17850 Newhope St
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

I will have a lockable ammo can with me to store your lower in. These will go straight into my safe at home until delivered to the anodizer. The anodizer estimates about 5-7 working days to have them completed.