Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-25-2014, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

yup, give her some trigger time
Old 02-25-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
ah, yes, the color pink will solve everything!!!
not.
I hate pink.
some like it, some don't.
fear of guns has nothing to do with the color of the gun.
if she wants a pink gun, get her a pink gun.
better yet, hopefully, she gets into liking a gun well enough to go buy her own and choose her own color.
Copy that...my colors are desert tan, ACU, gun metal and of course flat black.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
appreciate the support, ZJ!

lots of good info supporting the article coming from a lot of the men of calguns that perhaps will keep the OP from learning lessons the hard way. I think he appreciates all the advice.
I do. It's hard to reply to every one, but I read every one.
Old 02-28-2014, 9:42 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

good to hear, aacx22!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 04-03-2014, 6:41 PM

If only there was a one size fits all solution to this question...

I started dating my wife 18-years ago and this weekend is our 12th wedding anniversary. When we were dating, I knew she didn't like guns; but she was always willing to talk. I was raised with firearms with a huge emphasis on safety. She was taught by her mother that guns were evil.

Some may say "there are other fish in the sea" and that may be true. The simple fact is, I love my wife more than anything else, including guns. Leaving her isn't an option.

I could go on for pages; but what it boiled down to in our house is respecting each other's opinions and eventually demystifying firearms.

She agreed to let me purchase my first gun when I explained my desire to protect the family. The gun was the last line of defense behind an alarm system, dog(s), and surveillance cameras.

There were two things that tipped the scale. First, my boys turn absolutely everything into a gun. She realized that she couldn't stop then from liking guns anymore than she can control the weather. Second, while I was away on a business trip, the dogs went a little nuts and she realized she didn't know what to do with this pistol in the safe. She wrestled with her own anxieties and decided that she wanted to learn how to defend the kids if necessary.

We didn't rush to the range. We put the kids to bed, then went to the kitchen where I field stripped the pistol and let her start by holding the frame without the slide, then I showed her the different functional components, then I assembled it. That helped to show that it's just an object.

A couple weeks later we went to a private outdoor range. We went with another couple. The husband is a cop and the wife is a friend of my wife. She fought through anxiety that no one can understand. I tried something that I was shown at Front Sight where she held the gun; but I pressed the trigger (in retrospect, I don't recommend this technique). She broke down crying after that first shot and we walked back to the car. I was there to support her, not pressure her. If she wanted to leave right then, I wouldn't have minded in the least. It's a process after all. She was unraveling 30+ years of anti-gun feelings. After 10-15 minutes, she was ready to go back. She ended up shooting about 200 rounds and is a great marksman with that pistol.

A couple years later, she decided that she's ready to go out to Front Sight and buy her own pistol. We are scheduled for a 4-day class at the end of this month. I told her we can leave at any time. Again, I'm supporting her in this journey.

Two weeks ago we went to a gun store and she bought her own pistol. I never thought I would see her step inside a gun store; but she did. We had to time it though when it wasn't busy.

My point is: love her like nothing else. It will take time and it may never happen. Chances are, something will open her to the idea, at least a little.
Old 04-06-2014, 8:53 PM

Be careful with the pink thing. My wife hates pink. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because she thinks it is ridiculous to have to announce that she's a female. Oh....and she owns a Ruger Mk III which she picked out. I put aftermarket rosewood grips on it and she loves it. Yes, it's .22LR but who cares? She could put a world of hurt on a bad guy at close range.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 04-11-2014, 5:24 AM

I can only add that high quality ear protection is necessary. Adequate is not enough. They must be comfortable and block out much more noise than the average pair.
Before she shops for a gun, she should shop for hearing protection.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
Be careful with the pink thing. My wife hates pink. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because she thinks it is ridiculous to have to announce that she's a female. Oh....and she owns a Ruger Mk III which she picked out. I put aftermarket rosewood grips on it and she loves it. Yes, it's .22LR but who cares? She could put a world of hurt on a bad guy at close range.
YES!

I went in to pick up my second gun the other day... I told him I'd take the gun I was looking at, and he said "Do you want the black? I have to double check but I think we have purple too". NO. No no no. Simultaneously the owner was bringing me a shirt to pick out... they were pink tank tops.

Maybe try to get her to go out to a spot of empty land with a .22 to start... Far less intimidating than a gun range. I hope you can convince her, I'm working on the same thing with my mom, she's warming up!
Old 04-11-2014, 2:40 PM
Banned

I had a bf one time who totally hated guns. Come to think it he spent more time doing his hair than I did too. Hehe. Sometimes you just need to accept the reality she may never like guns. Try finding something else the two of you can do and enjoy as a couple together.