Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-04-2014, 9:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Primer Blow Out

Well had my first primer blow out on a round. Load data was supposed to be similar to the M118LR, but I thought it was loaded off Lake City brass. After looking it up again it was Federal brass.

Rifle was Savage 10/110 HS Precision

175 SMK
Lake City Brass
Win LRP
IMR 4064
41.7 g
2.80"

When reducing the load should I drop 1 grain and ladder backwards meaning 40.7, 40.6, 40.5, etc or drop 1 grain and ladder back up?

Last edited by Faded; 01-05-2014 at 9:27 AM..
Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 PM

Bullet????
Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 PM

Not knowing what you're shooting it out of....that load is on the lower end 4064 data. If the brass has been reloaded a few times the primer pocket may just be too loose to hold pressures rifle cases are capable of. FC is known for loose pockets anyways after a few reloads anyways....only other thing that comes to mind is maybe a fluke high charge weight.....
Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

Get a chronograph to measure velocity. This helps ALOT when verifying loads - too hot, consistency, and etc.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

blown primers could simply mean loose primer pockets.

like other posters mentioned,you gotta let us know the details for us to help you.

bullet? firearm?

also, mil brass is known for small volume case sizes. i did an "experiment" and was getting up to 10 grain spread from brass. because of this, when i use mil brass (and currently only use mil brass), I weigh my brass and try to use the same headstamp. regardless, my loads are in the mid range charge weight (relative to hodgdon's website).
Old 01-05-2014, 4:12 AM

Do you have a tight or dirty chamber? Also have you checked the headspace of the rifle? There are extractor marks on the rim but the case does not appear bulged. 41.7 gr is no where near the max with 4064.
I've got an M1917 with excessive headspace that will back primers out of loads that are perfectly safe in any of my other rifles. The first and last time I took it to the range, the bolt internals exited to the rear along with hot gas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2014, 7:01 AM

Per the above, don't focus on over-pressure. Keep the options and suspect list wide. Clean the base and try to install another primer. If it goes in very easy and, the outer diameter of the base measures close to the SAAMI spec, you're done without any consternation over load characterization.
Old 01-05-2014, 9:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sorry about that... it was a 175 SMK out of a Savage 10/110. My normal go to round is 42.2g of IMR 4064 with Federal Brass. This was my first Lake City load. The first round fired and ejected fine. The second round fired and the bolt got stuck hard. After a few minutes of fiddling I was finally able to pull the bolt back and the case ejected.
Old 01-05-2014, 9:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74c5 View Post
Per the above, don't focus on over-pressure. Keep the options and suspect list wide. Clean the base and try to install another primer. If it goes in very easy and, the outer diameter of the base measures close to the SAAMI spec, you're done without any consternation over load characterization.
I tried to seat another primer and it wouldn't fit in the case holder to hand prime. I measured the base of the case where the ejector is and it is at .480" vs .468" on my other LC-08 brass.
Old 01-05-2014, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

did the brass show any other pressure signs? bulging? might just be a fluke loose primer pocket like the others said.
Old 01-05-2014, 2:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
did the brass show any other pressure signs? bulging? might just be a fluke loose primer pocket like the others said.
No signs that I noticed. I don't recall any of the primers being loose when I hand primed them. Honestly many were tight. After the case got stuck I put that box away and didn't fire any more. Didn't want to risk things getting worse.
Old 01-05-2014, 2:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded View Post
No signs that I noticed. I don't recall any of the primers being loose when I hand primed them. Honestly many were tight. After the case got stuck I put that box away and didn't fire any more. Didn't want to risk things getting worse.

I lied both cases have a fine hairline crack. I inspected them again and each have one. When I run my fingernail over then you can feel it so I don't believe it's a scratch.

Old 01-05-2014, 3:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I lied both cases have a fine hairline crack. I inspected them again and each have one. When I run my fingernail over then you can feel it so I don't believe it's a scratch.

maybe that/those particular brass has smaller case volumes, so when u loaded your typical charge it ended being too much relative to the case volume.

like i mentioned earlier, you might want to weigh your brass. i've seen some really heavy mil brass and ive also seen some light ones. there are huge variances in mil brass.
Old 01-05-2014, 5:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsumoba View Post
maybe that/those particular brass has smaller case volumes, so when u loaded your typical charge it ended being too much relative to the case volume.

like i mentioned earlier, you might want to weigh your brass. i've seen some really heavy mil brass and ive also seen some light ones. there are huge variances in mil brass.
Do you sort the mil brass by weight and develop loads based on brass weight or something?
Old 01-06-2014, 2:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
blown primers could simply mean loose primer pockets.
This is kinda what I'm thinking. You shot a bunch of this then TWO rounds blew the primers out? And you think it is the load?

Unless of course you shot exactly two loads of this....

If you shot a bunch though and got these two failures, is something going on that makes you think this is more than just two pieces of brass reaching end of life?

Brass doesn't last forever...

-------------------

OK, so I see you shot two rounds of this. I see the brass looks crimped. Did you remove the crimp? did you use a primer pocket reamer? if you cut material to ream the pocket maybe its too loosey goosey. Any brass prep performed with respect to the primer pocket?

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 01-06-2014 at 2:09 PM..
Old 01-06-2014, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

I may chasing a wild goose on this one, but here it goes...

I noticed the NATO headstamp. Did factory .308 brass come with a NATO stamp or was it only 7.62x51?

If only 7.62x51 did, have the lower SAAMI pressure allowances for the 7.62x51 been exceeded with .308 reload data?

Edit: Disregard. Didn't realize OP was loading @ minimum load specs. 41 gr. is way below max load and 50k psi.

Last edited by Swagman00; 01-06-2014 at 4:29 PM..
Old 01-06-2014, 6:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post

OK, so I see you shot two rounds of this. I see the brass looks crimped. Did you remove the crimp? did you use a primer pocket reamer? if you cut material to ream the pocket maybe its too loosey goosey. Any brass prep performed with respect to the primer pocket?
I use the Dillon Super Swagger to remove the crimp. I didn't do anything else to the primer pocket. I just poke out any media in the flash hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass View Post
1. ...reloads sitting out in the sun for any length of time prior to firing?

2. ... excess lube inside the brass prior to powder charge?

3. ... oversize base indicates excess pressure...

4. ... how many times had these cases been fired? ... LC is usu. good for at least 10 'regular' loads and 1-3 'full house' loads depending on variables..

5. .. lots of reference sites indicate a 10%-5% reduction in the charge to allow for the reduced volume. Sounds like a lot but if your max charge is 44 grains in a commercial case, your LC charge could well be maxed at around 40 grains for a .308 Win. Read the riflemans journal (German Salazar) on the history of the 7.62 NATO and you'll see that in several instances, the match rounds resulted in 'one-time use' of the brass and bent op rods in the M14.
1. I was in the shade. The temps were around 70 degrees at the time.
2. The cases were tumbled clean after the sizing, before the powder. Shouldn't be any lube left over. I spot checked a couple more cases from the batch and don't notice any lube inside.
3. Agreed
4. I don't know the number of times it was loaded. Bought it used on here, but was advised it was once fired for what that is worth.
5. I have read that as well. I have read many folks load the same round with no issues, but then again perhaps my LC-08 brass was thicker and reduced volume.

Thank you all for your feedback on this. My gut is still thinking this was just too hot of a load for that brass for some reason.
Old 01-06-2014, 6:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Do you sort the mil brass by weight and develop loads based on brass weight or something?
admittedly, i do...i noticed mil brass ranging from 176gr all the way to 187gr. Thats a 10+ grain weight spread. You can imagine if they are all resized the same that the higher weight brass would have much less case volume for your powder. sometimes, you could see this when you reload large quantities of the same powder charge. you can look with a flashlight and see some brass that appears to have more powder than some. this is because the brass thickness is different from case to case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman00 View Post
I may chasing a wild goose on this one, but here it goes...

I noticed the NATO headstamp. Did factory .308 brass come with a NATO stamp or was it only 7.62x51?

If only 7.62x51 did, have the lower SAAMI pressure allowances for the 7.62x51 been exceeded with .308 reload data?

Edit: Disregard. Didn't realize OP was loading @ minimum load specs. 41 gr. is way below max load and 50k psi.
you still need to check your velocities as well. this would tell you if you ran (cant do it in hindsight obviously) or are running hot.

are you weighing each charge after you dispense on a separate weigh scale? when i reload for precision, i will weigh, then remove off the scale, then weigh again to make sure it was not an anomaly.
Old 01-06-2014, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass View Post
5. .. lots of reference sites indicate a 10%-5% reduction in the charge to allow for the reduced volume. Sounds like a lot but if your max charge is 44 grains in a commercial case, your LC charge could well be maxed at around 40 grains for a .308 Win.
As a data point, I've been shooting LC brass "across the course" for near 20 years using a 168gr Sierra MK over 41.5gr of H4895 in a match-prepped M1A. No signs of pressure, no blown primers, velocity is 2570fps.

EDIT:
Never-mind - I see the OP is using 4064. My bad. But the OP does state the problem was with Federal brass........ I've had loose primer pocket issues with Federal brass, and don't use it anymore in my gas guns.

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."

-Wm F. Buckley

Last edited by bigbossman; 01-06-2014 at 7:04 PM..
Old 01-06-2014, 7:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
are you weighing each charge after you dispense on a separate weigh scale? when i reload for precision, i will weigh, then remove off the scale, then weigh again to make sure it was not an anomaly.
I load these with the RCBS Chargemaster. It has held zero quite well and I spot check loads throughout the process on the RCBS 505.

I noticed a variance on my LC-08 brass in weight as well. I will weigh and sort them out into groups and ladder the load back up. I was just surprised to see that 41.7g of 4064 would cause that much pressure, but I guess that is the important lesson. No matter what works for some one else it doesn't mean it will always work for me. I am still new to reloading with only 2 years so I have much to learn.
Old 01-06-2014, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

None of this makes sense. There is missing data somewhere, I highly doubt that LC case thickness is causing you this much of a pressure problem. How's your case OAL? Is it possible that your cases are too long and causing a choke point? Are you crimping/overcrimping?

You are right in that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone but you are low enough with 4064 that I wouldn't expect to see problems.
Old 01-06-2014, 7:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
None of this makes sense. There is missing data somewhere, I highly doubt that LC case thickness is causing you this much of a pressure problem. How's your case OAL? Is it possible that your cases are too long and causing a choke point? Are you crimping/overcrimping?

You are right in that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone but you are low enough with 4064 that I wouldn't expect to see problems.
COAL was 2.800" - 2.802". No crimp just using a Lee bullet seating die.
Old 01-06-2014, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

what was case OAL? Have the cases ever been trimmed?
Old 01-06-2014, 8:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
what was case OAL? Have the cases ever been trimmed?
I trim to ~ 2.005" (+/-.003). First time trimming and loading those. First time using Lake City brass for .308 to be honest. I usually use Federal and PPU (Prvi Partizan Užice) brass, but I bought 1,000 LC brass so I wanted to find a load for it.
Old 01-06-2014, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

I dunno, but something is amiss. Try seating a new primer in the case, see how tight it is. If it's loose it tells us nothing but if it's tight then along with the case wall crack we can assume overpressure, although that second case has no overpressure signs in the primer that I can see.

You did say bolt lift was hard right?
Old 01-06-2014, 8:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I dunno, but something is amiss. Try seating a new primer in the case, see how tight it is. If it's loose it tells us nothing but if it's tight then along with the case wall crack we can assume overpressure, although that second case has no overpressure signs in the primer that I can see.

You did say bolt lift was hard right?
I am out of town for the week and the brass is back at the house, but I will try and hand seat a new primer when I get back. It didn't fit in the shell holder, but I never tried to just plop a primer in. The only sign I saw on the first case I shot was the crack in the case, but the primer didn't look bad. I didn't notice that hairline crack until I got home and really inspected it.

I think on paper my load was within spec. If you are brave enough to shoot some I can make another 5 and mail them to you and see if it goes boom again
Old 01-06-2014, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Nah, screw that, it was over-pressured. Especially if it can't fit in the shell holder. I'm just amazed at why it was at 41.7gr. Calibrate the chargemaster? Or pull a few that you made already apart and double check them on a beam.
Old 01-06-2014, 8:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Nah, screw that, it was over-pressured. Especially if it can't fit in the shell holder. I'm just amazed at why it was at 41.7gr. Calibrate the chargemaster? Or pull a few that you made already apart and double check them on a beam.
Both... I calibrate the chargemaster before each session, measure first round on the 505 to make sure it didn't go whacky, and pull a few as I go.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

maybe you had a bullet that when chambered, setback your round and caused an unsafe condition when fired???

its a stretch, but it could be.

sorry if i missed it, but did you fire this out of a semi-auto?
Old 01-07-2014, 7:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
maybe you had a bullet that when chambered, setback your round and caused an unsafe condition when fired???

its a stretch, but it could be.

sorry if i missed it, but did you fire this out of a semi-auto?
Nope it as a bolt action and I inserted each round by hand.
Old 01-09-2014, 7:54 PM

Hahaha. I came here because I thought you meant someone was selling primers for cheap!!
Old 01-09-2014, 8:43 PM

Quote:
I agree. The primer pocket looks oversized, along with hard to open bolt & not fitting in a shellholder. I would disassemble the remaining rounds & check charge & case capacity.
Old 02-27-2014, 5:25 AM

Stay away from that load ! It's a massive overload. The swiping of the brass & the spreading of the primer pocket are your pressure signs. Reduction of1 gr isn't going to get out of over pressure.
Old 02-27-2014, 5:39 AM

Stay away from that load ! It's a massive overload. The swiping of the brass & the spreading of the primer pocket are your pressure signs. Reduction of1 gr isn't going to get out of over pressure.
Old 02-27-2014, 5:48 AM

I just bought a bunch of NATO stamped WW's they are a full 5% heavier than my commercial Feds or Rems , which represents a substantial volume reduction.
Old 02-27-2014, 6:14 AM

I've loaded .223 & '06 commercial& GI never noticed a problem but, .308 is a different animal.
Old 02-27-2014, 6:32 AM

All the previous poster hit the primary culprits. Here's a couple less encountered culprits:
1. Does your rifle have a tight chamber or more importantly a short throat
2. Did you push the case shoulder too far back during the resizine process, which can cause an artificial excess headspace issue? Take your sized case or even a loaded round and place it in a Wilson Headspace gage. If it drops below the lower shoulder, then you pushed the shoulder too far back and primers can blow out
Old 02-27-2014, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

41.7grs is a medium pressure load in LC or FC brass weighing about 175grs.

Could be your LC case weighs considerably more. They vary in weight and capacity. I read one claim where it was alleged they weigh 196grs. Weigh it.
Old 02-27-2014, 7:59 AM

Check the case mouth of your purchased LC brass. If it has been chamfered, then it is likely not once fired brass.
Old 02-27-2014, 8:16 AM

My commercial case weigh out @ 168-171gr depending on the manufacture. My WW GI cases are@ 181. My load of 50gr of a powder with a 110 or 125 gr Sierra same commercial case ,same primer , SB sized, is a load I've used for years. With these cases I'am going to reduce by a full 7 gr of a powder & work my way up expecting my pressure signs to show up @. 47gr.