Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-22-2014, 3:01 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
The owner of the ammo-only(well and components)-shop that I bought some powder and primers at said that Obama and his droogs are limiting imports that used to be a full shipping containers to 1/2 shipping containers full of powder. I don't know how true this is...
Total bs...its hoarding, pure and simple. If a guy panics because hes down to 90 pounds because hes afraid he can't ever find powder, than buys 40 pounds instead of his usual 8 pound jug to compensate, the whole demand side of the market gets skewed. Now imagine Sandy Hook and the increase in gun owners and you get threads like this one....
Old 02-22-2014, 5:42 PM

Rifle powder is coming in stock regularly. What I don't get is the utter lack of pistol powders. They haven't even been showing in stock for the last few months.

Can't wait until the market stabilizes.
Old 02-22-2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettkeating View Post
Yes but a lot of those are either unpopular or specialized. I didn't look too closely but I'd bet not one of those powders is suitable for pistol cartridges.
If you're lucky, you'll stumble across some good stuff. A few weeks ago, Powder Valley received a massive amount of Alliant powders. I picked up 9lbs of Unique and a single pound of Bullseye. In under ten minutes, most of it was sold out though. Also picked up Longshot and 800X from there. Be prepared for the HAZMAT fees though.

Since I've been looking on Gunbot, I've only seen Unique three times, W231 once, Silhouette once, and HP38 once and it was all sold out.
Old 02-22-2014, 6:19 PM

Default I have a client....

....who is an executive for Alliant. Anybody think it would be unprofessional to ask him to hook me up?
Old 02-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B W E View Post
....who is an executive for Alliant. Anybody think it would be unprofessional to ask him to hook me up?
Ask them what is going on and why there is so little powder being shipped everywhere...
Old 02-23-2014, 1:08 AM

My favourite posts are the people who freak out and blame the government/Obama/NSA/FBI/CIA/PETA/AARP/etc...

Hodgdon has already said that it is simply a rise in demand and not enough supply. They said, sometime last year, that they sell something like 80% of their product to the end consumer like us and there are no weird conspiracy deals of the government or Obama taking all your powder...

The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.
Old 02-23-2014, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
Total bs...its hoarding, pure and simple. If a guy panics because hes down to 90 pounds because hes afraid he can't ever find powder, than buys 40 pounds instead of his usual 8 pound jug to compensate, the whole demand side of the market gets skewed. Now imagine Sandy Hook and the increase in gun owners and you get threads like this one....
And you're sure of this because...?
Old 02-23-2014, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
Because powders are popping up all over the place, but disappear once the internet watchers whip everyone into a frenzy about X powder being in stock. Just watch gunbot for a day to see how fast rifle powder gets sold out once it shows in stock. It's insane right now. Hell, I'm even getting sucked into it because I'm getting to the point of needing a few more 8lb jugs of pistol powder so I can keep shooting USPSA regularly. When I see what I need I'll buy a ton just because of the potential of the powder not being available in the near future.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTeacher View Post
Because powders are popping up all over the place, but disappear once the internet watchers whip everyone into a frenzy about X powder being in stock. Just watch gunbot for a day to see how fast rifle powder gets sold out once it shows in stock. It's insane right now. Hell, I'm even getting sucked into it because I'm getting to the point of needing a few more 8lb jugs of pistol powder so I can keep shooting USPSA regularly. When I see what I need I'll buy a ton just because of the potential of the powder not being available in the near future.
Why is the LGS stuck with bare shelves, when he doesn't even have a website for visibility by component predators? It seems to me that the retail supply is actually very scant, as so many are saying.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:49 AM

Its the same story just different component. Anyone remember when primers were scarce and all you could get was powder and bullets. Now its the powders and certain bullets that are short, and I can get pretty much any primer at a decent price.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Because its true. Read last months NRA report on ammo in general. Factories need to plan years ahead, they can't get caught investing capital in a new factory only to have demand taper off. Production is and has been at 100% capacity. The problem is nobody buys anything shooting related other than in a panic. You think the NRA is in on it?

There wasn't .22 on that shelf yesterday, now there is, so I better buy enough so that I have plenty tomorrow so I have it.

There's no bogus "1/2 container rule."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Please stop judging me. Your ad hominem attack does nothing more than show you don't pack the gear for this debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
I love this thread. One person standing alone masturbating furiously, while everyone else is pointing and laughing at his small weenie.
XXXXX
Old 02-23-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Why is the LGS stuck with bare shelves, when he doesn't even have a website for visibility by component predators? It seems to me that the retail supply is actually very scant, as so many are saying.
Watch gunbot. You'll see powders come in stock everyday, but they go VERY quickly. Local gun stores have received shipments of powder but they go quickly as well. When demand far outweighs the capacity to supply then you have the situation we're in now.
Old 02-23-2014, 1:07 PM

Quote:
My LGS doesn't have a website, but I call every day asking if they have any powder in stock that I want. Guys who buy powder regularly know where to get it.
Old 02-23-2014, 1:55 PM

Yes, you've got to watch Gunbot daily for pistol powder. I scored on some 700x from PV last Thursday night. the press is waiting for loading time.
Old 02-23-2014, 2:09 PM

FYI, gunbot does not cover the universe. Also, there obviously are only a couple of suppliers that get powder in large quantities. If they could get it, they obviously would order more. Turning money over that quickly would enable the financing of progressively larger orders. But the powder isn't there to order. It's already allocated. The question is, to whom?
Old 02-23-2014, 3:56 PM

Quote:
FYI, gunbot does not cover the universe. Also, there obviously are only a couple of suppliers that get powder in large quantities. If they could get it, they obviously would order more. Turning money over that quickly would enable the financing of progressively larger orders. But the powder isn't there to order. It's already allocated. The question is, to whom?
You're looking for a conspiracy where none exist. If you don't believe the basics of supply and demand are at play here then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 02-23-2014, 8:40 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Because my parents didn't feed me lead paint and that allowed my brain to develop to where I can reason. I sorry that not all parents were so careful, but if I were you I wouldn't confront them directly about it.

Last edited by bubbapug1; 02-23-2014 at 8:43 PM..
Old 02-23-2014, 9:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus343 View Post
So does anyone in the industry know why?
seriously...
because people continuously panic buy and hoard. Its really that simple.
Hodgdon last year produced the most powder it ever has and NONE of it went to commercial manufacturers; they solely distribute for the average consumer.
Old 02-24-2014, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
because people continuously panic buy and hoard. Its really that simple.
Hodgdon last year produced the most powder it ever has and NONE of it went to commercial manufacturers; they solely distribute for the average consumer.
Do we know that Hodgdon has not since been affected by national agency orders? Note that there is more than one source and brand involved with Hodgdon.
Old 02-24-2014, 3:51 AM

Quote:
You're looking for a conspiracy where none exist. If you don't believe the basics of supply and demand are at play here then I don't know what to tell you.
Do you know how much powder is actually released to the retail pipeline?
Old 02-24-2014, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Do you know how much powder is actually released to the retail pipeline?
Perhaps that "retail pipeline" is just a facade for a secret government program. Quick, to the bunkers!

Or maybe the powder is all going to the Denver Airport where it will be used to assemble the ammo to exterminate all the undesirables when the NWO completes their mission of building a one world gov.

Yeah, or demand is simply way higher than supply.
Old 02-24-2014, 7:41 AM

Quote:
<>Yeah, or demand is simply way higher than supply.
But you don't really know, anymore than anyone else.
Old 02-24-2014, 8:43 AM

Quote:
lmao

Go troll OT with this crap.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

supply is there, but it is only there for maybe 30 minutes at most, sometimes its 10 minutes!!! if you're in need of some of these popular powders, you have to be on the sites 24/7 it seems. some people simply dont have the time.

remember, this is nationwide and its not this little bubble of calguns that is looking at this powder, so you can imagine us multiplied by thousands of other forums and you can imagine why the powder supply goes away so fast.

Last edited by bsumoba; 02-24-2014 at 10:13 AM..
Old 02-24-2014, 10:20 AM

I see powders pop up on a daily basis on gunbot and other websites around the web everyday. The thing about this is that if you don't have an order in within 30 min. in some cases, you are fresh out of luck and people have already bought up the entire supply. At this point, I am willing to pay almost double the MSRP for powder like Red Dot, Promo, or Green Dot and I would still remain at a reasonable price to shoot.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 AM

All dealers have their favorite customers that will get special treatment, so yes there is a conspiracy.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Motion to ban!

From Hodgdon themselves:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Web%20Page%20Buying%20Surge.pdf
Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders?

As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components – including all Hodgdon powders – are hard to find.
Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from
Hodgdon.

Q: Are you still making powders?
A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is
available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all
ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make
enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.

Q: Are you still in business?
A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealer’s
shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealer’s stores.

Q: What is causing this high demand?
A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working
shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty
shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices.

Q: I have seen/heard many rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage.
A: If you do not hear it from Hodgdon Powder Company please don’t believe it.

Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition
manufacturing companies?
A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our
powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.

Q: When will I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into
our backlog.

The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:20 PM

it's really simple actually. it's because of guys like me. I started reloading a few months ago and wasnt aware about the current climate with components. I went to places like bass pro shops and got laughed at when I asked for powder. Looking online at places like Midway & Natchez I saw nothing but out of stock banners. So I got frustrated and have joined the powder hunting club, buying as much as I can, when I can. Multiply me by thousands of people across the country doing this now, and thats the reason why powder is so hard to come by.
Old 02-25-2014, 5:46 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Got a couple pounds of Varget last weekend. Supply is fine out here.
Old 02-26-2014, 3:44 AM

Quote:
lmao

Go troll OT with this crap.
That's an odd reaction to being reminded not to be too dogmatic. We have opinions here, and who is going to let Hodgdon control the dialogue?
Old 02-26-2014, 5:54 AM

All I know is all my local gun shops and on the internet I can not find powder to load my pistols looks like it easier to find the ammo.
Old 02-26-2014, 5:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
yeah. Agree.

I have many times the powder I would normally have (over 4x)... just because it is hard to get... which makes it hard to get...

Only good thing in this panic is I'm paying less per pound... since I'm ordering bigger and it spreads out the hazmat better.... can't say that about the others...

Last edited by sl0re10; 02-26-2014 at 6:16 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 6:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhy View Post
My favourite posts are the people who freak out and blame the government/Obama/NSA/FBI/CIA/PETA/AARP/etc...

Hodgdon has already said that it is simply a rise in demand and not enough supply. They said, sometime last year, that they sell something like 80% of their product to the end consumer like us and there are no weird conspiracy deals of the government or Obama taking all your powder...
I agree on the big picture that its not a conspiracy but it may or may not be as simple as your presenting it. Does Hodgdon make all (or any) of their own powder? If they do not make all of it; do the factories they buy from sell to others who make military or government ammo? Any change in their purchases making less available to Hodgdon?

Maybe nothing is there; but I wouldn't write it off 100% w/o checking. If something were there then it would be good to quantify it. Then, once the research is done, you can really shoot them down... since you've checked...

Last edited by sl0re10; 02-26-2014 at 6:20 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 6:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B W E View Post
Yes
Old 02-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0re10 View Post
I agree on the big picture that its not a conspiracy but it may or may not be as simple as your presenting it. Does Hodgdon make all (or any) of their own powder? If they do not make all of it; do the factories they buy from sell to others who make military or government ammo? Any change in their purchases making less available to Hodgdon?

Maybe nothing is there; but I wouldn't write it off 100% w/o checking. If something were there then it would be good to quantify it. Then, once the research is done, you can really shoot them down... since you've checked...
That's a fair point. I don't think the answers are going to be easily found. I don't know if hodgdon makes their own powder or just buys it. Assuming the latter, if there is a substantial amount of powder being bought up before they get their hands on it, then why hasn't the price skyrocketed? If, like some people think, 50% of the powder is being sent to Obama's house, then could hodgdon really survive with half it's sales at the same price?

All speculation and rhetorical questions of course. My point was that the people who claim there is a conspiracy are often the same that still don't believe in the lunar landing.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:51 PM

I have pounds of Alliant Bullseye powder hopefully it will be shipped soon.
Old 02-28-2014, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike402 View Post
it's really simple actually. it's because of guys like me. I started reloading a few months ago and wasnt aware about the current climate with components. I went to places like bass pro shops and got laughed at when I asked for powder. Looking online at places like Midway & Natchez I saw nothing but out of stock banners. So I got frustrated and have joined the powder hunting club, buying as much as I can, when I can. Multiply me by thousands of people across the country doing this now, and thats the reason why powder is so hard to come by.
I pick up IRM 4064 for 223 reloading and primers at Bass Pro Shops last week in Rancho Cucamonga. What you do is order on the internet site have it delivered to the store pick it up there and you don't have that Haz Mat fee.
Old 02-28-2014, 2:04 PM

Quote:
That's a fair point. I don't think the answers are going to be easily found. I don't know if hodgdon makes their own powder or just buys it. Assuming the latter, if there is a substantial amount of powder being bought up before they get their hands on it, then why hasn't the price skyrocketed? If, like some people think, 50% of the powder is being sent to Obama's house, then could hodgdon really survive with half it's sales at the same price?

All speculation and rhetorical questions of course. My point was that the people who claim there is a conspiracy are often the same that still don't believe in the lunar landing.
It doesn't seem too long ago that powder was $18/lb, yesterday it was $30
Old 02-28-2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmca View Post
It doesn't seem too long ago that powder was $18/lb, yesterday it was $30
My LGS gets Varget in every once in a blue moon and sells it for $35/lb, and doesn't keep it on the shelf more than an hour. We are definitely starting to price ourselves out of any cost savings with reloading
Old 02-28-2014, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Sure; but its a good question in there so I'll answer. Everyone has contracts in place about prices. Factories don't tend to change prices to distributors during shortages. But distributors to retailers sometimes do or retailers to customers. Also there is competition. If one powder brand raises its prices it may lose customers for life (when they try something new as a result and find out they like it). I'll note some on line vendors are raising all of their powder prices while others are not. They are in the same boat. I'll stick to the vendors that didn't raise prices pretty much forever.

I get your main point but I spent years doing political fact checking as a hobby. The lefties always brought up that you can't judge arguments by who makes them; have to judge them by the facts and logic on their own... ergo... these people making these types of arguments deserve the same IMO... even if they're probably wrong. Might as well prove it. Also; its extra satisfying to tell someone they're an id*ot after you've proven your case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Last edited by sl0re10; 02-28-2014 at 4:17 PM..