Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Garand (and maybe general) question about hxp brass and effect on capacity

I've reloaded, starting with a lee loader and dipper measure, for 357 35 years ago, later a lee single stage for my HK sr9tc, a 243, and a 204 for my dad, with excellent results, and later bought a dillon 550 for everything else. I've done some loading on it, but then put it away for a while.

Recently, I wanted to shoot my Garand but all I have is hxp, and in SoCal, that's a no go.

I always save my brass, so I have a decent supply of brass until I can source some more.

I am using Master Pos garand recipe, which calls for 50.0 of 4064. Lower on the page it calls for a -2 grain reduction if using "military brass". I know LC brass is thicker, and to some more desirable for reloading. I understand why.

My question is this: is hxp considered military in terms of capacity/thickness? I understand its Greek military surplus, but I don't know if the cases are "military" in the capacity sense.

Any help is appreciated.

Also, does anyone else reload this, and how many cycles are you getting? Exclusive use will be my Garand.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Please stop judging me. Your ad hominem attack does nothing more than show you don't pack the gear for this debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
I love this thread. One person standing alone masturbating furiously, while everyone else is pointing and laughing at his small weenie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
XXXXXXX
Old 02-18-2014, 1:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have some .06 cases I plan to reload for a garand (when I actually get one) but the recipe I plan to use is 4895

Do you have any LC brass? would it be an accurate enough way to measure case capacity to fill up one case with powder, weigh it and then repeat the process for your hxp cases and compare?

you could sacrifice one of each by cutting them in half and measuring wall thickness with your calipers.
Old 02-18-2014, 6:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
I have some .06 cases I plan to reload for a garand (when I actually get one) but the recipe I plan to use is 4895

Do you have any LC brass? would it be an accurate enough way to measure case capacity to fill up one case with powder, weigh it and then repeat the process for your hxp cases and compare?

you could sacrifice one of each by cutting them in half and measuring wall thickness with your calipers.
That's a great idea, but I don't have any LC or even commercial brass to do a comparison.
Quote:
Please stop judging me. Your ad hominem attack does nothing more than show you don't pack the gear for this debate.
Quote:
I love this thread. One person standing alone masturbating furiously, while everyone else is pointing and laughing at his small weenie.
Quote:
XXXXXXX
Old 02-18-2014, 6:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Oh, sorry. I thought your OP said you saved all your brass. I thought that might you had a few different headstamps.

If no one else measures by the time I get home (around 1300) I'll measure my cases with some powder as I believe I have a few different headstamps of 30-06.
Old 02-18-2014, 8:36 AM
Veteran Member

I am interested in this also, I have some HXP, Lake City and some commercial brass and will be loading for a Garand.
Old 02-18-2014, 9:06 AM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I reload for my Garand and '03 using HXP brass. I have used both 4064 and 4895. I will say that I like the 4895 a little better than the 4064 (I am using the 4064 now because I'm out of 4895).

In the loads that I have worked up, the difference in regards to accuracy have been negligible between the two powders. I would use either of without hesitation.

As far as the HXP brass, good stuff! I believe that I am on my 3rd-4th round of reloading this lot of -06 brass and it shows no signs of giving up. As far as case capacity, I think your going to have some different results than Master PO... or at least I did. In my Garand, I found that my rifle was most accurate (I use 155g FMJ) being about .5 grains less than what Mstr PO has on his site. In the '03 I was about .2g more than what Mstr PO has listed.

My advice would be to start about 2g short of what Mstr PO has listed on his sight and work up from there...

Coincidentally, one of my friends that I shoot with, Has a Garand and is kicking my rear using Superformance powder. Just some food for thought.
Old 02-18-2014, 9:22 AM

HXP duplicates the M2 Ball, good ammo and good brass.

If the stash of once fired brass you have were fired from your Garand, measure the shoulder and bump it back 3 thou. If you have an HXP round, measure the shoulder so you can see the shoulder difference.

If you want to replicate M2 Ball, 47 grains of IMR 4895 or IMR 4064 is a good start along with 150 gr. SMK. As always, the caveat applies - start low, watch pressure signs, and use a chrono . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I've reloaded, starting with a lee loader and dipper measure, for 357 35 years ago, later a lee single stage for my HK sr9tc, a 243, and a 204 for my dad, with excellent results, and later bought a dillon 550 for everything else. I've done some loading on it, but then put it away for a while.

Recently, I wanted to shoot my Garand but all I have is hxp, and in SoCal, that's a no go.

I always save my brass, so I have a decent supply of brass until I can source some more.

I am using Master Pos garand recipe, which calls for 50.0 of 4064. Lower on the page it calls for a -2 grain reduction if using "military brass". I know LC brass is thicker, and to some more desirable for reloading. I understand why.

My question is this: is hxp considered military in terms of capacity/thickness? I understand its Greek military surplus, but I don't know if the cases are "military" in the capacity sense.

Any help is appreciated.

Also, does anyone else reload this, and how many cycles are you getting? Exclusive use will be my Garand.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2014, 9:29 AM

Default M-1

50 is as hot as your going to get with IMR 4064 & a 150 gr bullet. Reduce by 10% 47-48gr is what I 've been useing with L/C brass or Remington brass which is heavy.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
Oh, sorry. I thought your OP said you saved all your brass. I thought that might you had a few different headstamps.

If no one else measures by the time I get home (around 1300) I'll measure my cases with some powder as I believe I have a few different headstamps of 30-06.
Oh, I save it all, no matter what the source, unfortunately, my only 06 is a Garand, and the only stuff I've fired is the hxp.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXX
Old 02-18-2014, 12:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSightsOnly View Post
HXP duplicates the M2 Ball, good ammo and good brass.

If the stash of once fired brass you have were fired from your Garand, measure the shoulder and bump it back 3 thou. If you have an HXP round, measure the shoulder so you can see the shoulder difference.

If you want to replicate M2 Ball, 47 grains of IMR 4895 or IMR 4064 is a good start along with 150 gr. SMK. As always, the caveat applies - start low, watch pressure signs, and use a chrono . . .
Can you please clarify the instructions? Measure from the base to the shoulder, comparing fired to unaired, than back off the sizing die to reflect this?

Mechanically, I don't understand.

Thanks.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXX
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

47 - 48 gr H4895, or IMR4895 or IMR4064

with a 150gr FMJ

That is all you need to use.. no need in battering these fine old riffles.....

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 02-18-2014, 12:55 PM

Never saw a Garand with a 4 digit serial # got to be 1st year of production I've. seen them with 5. 1938 production .
Old 02-18-2014, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Use water to measure case capacity -- powder grains do not fill a case consistently.
Also, if using fired cases, both should be from the same weapon --
my tuppence
Old 02-18-2014, 1:24 PM

Check this out - http://www.hornady.com/store/LNL-Gau...-Stoney-Point/

There is a recent discussion thread about adjusting the sizing die - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=895220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Can you please clarify the instructions? Measure from the base to the shoulder, comparing fired to unaired, than back off the sizing die to reflect this?

Mechanically, I don't understand.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2014, 1:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Your load is hot for a Garand.
Yes the Greek brass is like our mil brass.
Another reason to back off.
47Gr of IMR4895, H4895 or IMR4064 is what I would suggest.
I use 47grs of IMR4895 with a 147 mil bullet or a 150gr comercial bullet such as Rem/Speer/Hornady etc.
Loading hot will sooner or later damage the operating rod which I do not want especially on my sorrect grade rifles.
The Garand was designed around the 147-150gr FMJ bullet and IMR4895 bulk powder.
Old 02-18-2014, 1:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
Your load is hot for a Garand.
Yes the Greek brass is like our mil brass.
Another reason to back off.
47Gr of IMR4895, H4895 or IMR4064 is what I would suggest.
I use 47grs of IMR4895 with a 147 mil bullet or a 150gr comercial bullet such as Rem/Speer/Hornady etc.
Loading hot will sooner or later damage the operating rod which I do not want especially on my sorrect grade rifles.
The Garand was designed around the 147-150gr FMJ bullet and IMR4895 bulk powder.
I understand the issues with a Garand and modern ammo. I'm not looking for a hot round at all, master po claims this is a Garand appropriate load. In fact that's what attracted me to his page.

At 47 gr 4064 and a 150 gr Sierra projectile, I should be fine? I have a chrono, but this will be my first loads for the 3006, and I don't want to damage it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXX
Old 02-18-2014, 2:25 PM

30.06 Brass weight by years
http://garandforum.proboards.com/thr...s-weight-years

military brass grain reduction?
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-644702.html

Loads for Garand
http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers...ds-garand.html
Old 02-18-2014, 2:36 PM

Start at the bottom, & work your way up.

Last edited by mark501w; 02-18-2014 at 4:39 PM..
Old 02-18-2014, 6:28 PM

I run mixed brass, 47.0 IMR-4064 with Hornady 150 gr FMJBT. Works beautifully.
Old 02-18-2014, 7:24 PM

start low and see if the gun cycles and if accuracy is good, if so then no reason to load hotter
Old 02-18-2014, 7:35 PM

Hornady 9th edition list 41.4 MIN thru 47.2 MAX for IMR4064 pushing a 168gr HPBT.

I personally load HXP brass with IMR4895 44gr pushing a 168gr HPBT and love it.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:23 PM

Another user of 46gr imr4895 with a 150gr Hornady fmj in my Garand.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 PM

March 1986 American Rifleman has reloading info for the Garand
Old 02-19-2014, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

OP---47gr or IMR4064 and a 150gr bullet and you will be fine. No need to work up or down from that load.
Old 02-19-2014, 4:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
OP---47gr or IMR4064 and a 150gr bullet and you will be fine. No need to work up or down from that load.
Excellent, that's my plan.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXX
Old 02-24-2014, 7:45 PM

Default 30.06 Brass

Hello, just in case your interested, I have approximately 178 rounds of 30.06 brass and most of it is primed. Make an offer or disregard if you have a supply already.

Vaughan
Old 02-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That's what I use too and it works great in my Garand.

OP one thing I did was replace the gas plug with a Garand Gear ported gas plug so that I won't ever damage the op rod. It will allow you to shoot any current production .30-06 rounds without damaging your rifle. I did it more for my own peace of mind knowing that I won't damage the rifle if I shoot a hot load in it.