Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-19-2014, 7:07 AM
Calguns Addict

I own a 770. It FUNCTIONS flawless. Hits the target everytime, scope stays centered... I like it for a budget 30.06. I do like my buddy's savage with accutrigger but I believe that was 2x the money.

It's got a heavy trigger pull that can be adjusted easily. The plastic stock is crappy looking but I don't really look at it. The action works fine, was sticky at first but a little oil and wear and it's been great. I have just under 500 rounds through it and it gets smoother everytime I use it.

For the price, I'm happy with it. And for what it's worth, I didn't just look at it on the shelf and cycle the bolt; I actually own one. I shoot 1.5 inch groups at 200 yards with 150 grain factory crap. It may shoot better but I don't .
Old 02-19-2014, 1:23 PM

Default 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior40er View Post
No reason to buy a 770 when now there is the 783 which is a much better built rifle.
It says limited supply, so I don't know if he has any left. NSS lists the 783 in 30.06 on their homepage for $315 plus shipping.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com

-Rick
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mmFMJ View Post
I own a 770. It FUNCTIONS flawless. Hits the target everytime, scope stays centered... I like it for a budget 30.06. I do like my buddy's savage with accutrigger but I believe that was 2x the money.

It's got a heavy trigger pull that can be adjusted easily. The plastic stock is crappy looking but I don't really look at it. The action works fine, was sticky at first but a little oil and wear and it's been great. I have just under 500 rounds through it and it gets smoother everytime I use it.

For the price, I'm happy with it. And for what it's worth, I didn't just look at it on the shelf and cycle the bolt; I actually own one. I shoot 1.5 inch groups at 200 yards with 150 grain factory crap. It may shoot better but I don't .

Me Too !!!!!!!

Great little rifle, scope is marginal but it works.
Old 02-22-2014, 9:27 PM

I absolutely love my weatherby vanguard. Its a lil heavy but all in all its a great all around hunting rifle for the price. Its a 7mm rem mag. I got it with a free Nikon buckmaster 3x9.
Old 02-24-2014, 5:51 AM
Veteran Member

Sheesh - outside of doubles shotguns, bolt-action rifles seem to bring out the extremes of gun snobbery.

I remember when the Rem710 came out. At the time, I had never had a "modern" bolt-action rifle, having cut my teeth in the gun world with Mosin-Nagant rifles and other milsurps. I'd never yet owned a scoped rifle of any kind and they didn't yet have those nifty scope kits they do now for M-N rifles. So, I thought I'd look at the Big 5 specials and experience seeing and hitting targets at long range. If I could do it for less than $400, so much the better.

I looked at a 710 in the store, it seemed like an okay rifle for the price, but I read a number of reviews (from actual users) stating that it had serious QC issues. I ended up buying a used Savage 10 in .308 which was a very nice rifle, even if it was pre-Accutrigger and had a crappy synthetic stock.
Old 02-24-2014, 7:33 AM
Veteran Member

I **** a 770 twice. First time was meh the second time i went to cycle the action and the bolt came all the way out. I wasn't impressed