Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Question about soft cases, length, and protecting the muzzle

I may be over-thinking things, but I am picking up a scoped rifle that is approximately 44" long. I found a padded carrying case at Turner's with dual zippers that is labeled as being for 48" scoped rifles.
Is there any risk of damaging the muzzle with the extra room in the bag should the rifle slide while inside? Would putting a towel inside the case between the end of the muzzle and the end of the bag be worthwhile?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:41 PM

My soft case has velcro straps inside to hold the rifle in place, so no muzzle worries for me. Yours should have them as well to secure the rifle in place.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
My soft case has velcro straps inside to hold the rifle in place, so no muzzle worries for me. Yours should have them as well to secure the rifle in place.
I didn't see any velcro straps inside...
Old 02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

I got one with velcro strips as well. Got it at Cabela's for $50.
Old 02-14-2014, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Soft cases are for your "knock about" rifles. The muzzle will be fine, just don't drop it on the muzzle end.
Old 02-14-2014, 6:46 PM

A good old fashioned scoped rifle case ,,not a tatical case... Yes a towel to take up space and cushion muzzle a good idea... Once you have scope on it it wont slide around to much.. Tapered at front end so scope height will stop shifting forward too... Cheers...
Old 02-14-2014, 8:07 PM

You're not going to damage anything as long as you don't manhandle it or leave it muzzle-pointing-down. And don't store any guns in a soft case long-term; transport use only.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:47 PM

A 48 inch case for a 44 inch long rifle is just fine. I use oversize cases for all of my rifles and shotguns and have never had a problem. What is most important in a soft case is the quality of the material (inside and outside) and how well it is padded. Also, don't overlook the carry straps; the cheap ones just have loops sewn to the top of the case and can pull loose and break whereas straps that go around the bag reflect better quality.
Old 02-15-2014, 3:57 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Gee View Post
I may be over-thinking things, but I am picking up a scoped rifle that is approximately 44" long. I found a padded carrying case at Turner's with dual zippers that is labeled as being for 48" scoped rifles.
Is there any risk of damaging the muzzle with the extra room in the bag should the rifle slide while inside? Would putting a towel inside the case between the end of the muzzle and the end of the bag be worthwhile?
might sound goofy, but I use a piece of Styrofoam (about 1.5"x1.5") on the end of a shotgun choke tube (it's teethed for door breach I guess, but I like it) - I do it to save the material on the bag, not the choke - but same method would protect your muzzle if you are concerned... just carve out a small section the circumference of your muzzle/devise.

ETA: as others have said - use velcro straps too... but that doesn't keep the muzzle from banging something hard if you aren't careful (being a soft case).
Old 02-15-2014, 4:53 PM

Unless you're flying and checking it in, you're overthinking it. From your bedroom to your car to the range... you can probably carry it in a plastic trash bag if you don't want to scare your neighbors.
Old 02-15-2014, 5:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Boyt Signature Case

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/944...ProductFinding
Old 02-15-2014, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti View Post
You're not going to damage anything as long as you don't manhandle it or leave it muzzle-pointing-down. And don't store any guns in a soft case long-term; transport use only.
Pardon my ignorance but why should you not store in a soft case?
Old 02-15-2014, 5:21 PM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8200rpm View Post
Unless you're flying and checking it in, you're overthinking it. From your bedroom to your car to the range... you can probably carry it in a plastic trash bag if you don't want to scare your neighbors.
wrong topic... thread isn't about discrete case... OP is concerned about muzzle damage.
Old 02-15-2014, 8:20 PM

Ah. That makes sense.
Old 02-15-2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
wrong topic... thread isn't about discrete case... OP is concerned about muzzle damage.
My point is that anything above a simple soft case is not warranted for routine transport. Unless you have a bunch of loose steel tools in your trunk or you're clumsy as the three stooges, you can throw a bare rifle inside most cars with little chance of crown damage.

You want to put a motorcyle helmet on the muzzle of your rifle? Knock yourself out.
Old 02-17-2014, 2:52 AM
Internet Warrior

chI mu prefer soft cases, but it depends on your rifle. I use drag bags, which are infinitely better than hard cases or the cheap soft cases commonly sold at gun stores. The good drag bags are kind of pricey, $300-$400, but they have a lot of protection and padding; plus, there is a lot of extra pockets and such to carry supplies. They are called drag bags since they have a handle in front with a cover that shelters the bag so they can be literally dragged through the brush. The good ones have an insert at the tip to hold and provide extra protection for your muzzle. Don't bother buying a soft case at a LGS; it'll be complete rubbish. Order one from EuroOptic or a dealer that carries decent inventory.
Old 02-19-2014, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

You can put a towel in the bottom of your soft rifle case if you want, but all my soft rifle cases came with soft material already at the bottom, so I do not bother.

I don't own rifles that need teacupping.
Old 02-21-2014, 2:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8200rpm View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I guess if you are rough with your guns you may need something sturdier like a hard care.

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups

Old 02-21-2014, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx0123 View Post
Pardon my ignorance but why should you not store in a soft case?
They attract/retain moisture which = rust