Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-19-2014, 4:41 AM

Default Front Sight "Gift"

Does anyone else get front sights emails on a regular basis and check out the lifetime membership "gift." I've been thinking about getting it since it's supposedly a lifetime of free classes for the cost of one of their 2 day courses, but something just seems fishy to me. Anyone looked into this or actually purchased it? Also, does anyone know where the training actually occurs? The website only lists an address in Windsor but it seems like it's just a mailing address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2014, 6:35 AM
CGN Contributor

the training happens in Pahrump, NV.

the marketing IS kind of fishy but the training is solid. here is a thread with a lot of info from students. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=518454

not sure what pricing they are offering in that email, but you can get a lifetime membership from an existing member for a few hundred, don't spend thousands buying from FS directly.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1161083
OD Green Glock 22 for sale, $525

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-19-2014, 6:46 AM

Any questions PM me, I have taken over 50 courses there, and have 9 more this year. Do not spend more than a few hundred for a membership, and they charge you $50 a year background check. Your membership level will determine which classes you can take for life free, IF you qualify for the class by passing tests on lower level classes.

Use the search function and search "Frontsight".

Commander of Front Sight Member
Old 02-19-2014, 7:33 AM

You can find 4 day certs online for next to nothing. Why buy a memepbership?
Old 02-20-2014, 7:45 PM

I'm an Ambassador level member, and taken several courses. Always liked them. The facility is just outside of Pahrump, NV, about 60 miles from Las Vegas.

The marketing is constant, but you can opt out or just ignore it...it's not as aggressive as a time-share pitch. If you think you'll go more than a couple of times, get a membership. If you just want to check it out first, find a good deal on a course certificate.

I have a variety of memberships and certs that I can help set you up with if you like. (Diamonds or Communicator/Liberty Tree, and 2 or 4 day certs) Let me know if you're interested.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was satisfied with the training I received at Front Sight. The actual course fees are low when you do it right. However, when I factor in the cost of gas, lodging, food, background fee, and my time, it always ends up being much cheaper and efficient to just take a local class. And the trainer/trainee ratio at the local options is usually better than what you end up with at FS. I've been offered free memberships to FS and have turned them down simply because I can't be out of town 2-5 days at a time to shoot and I'm too cheap to pay the $50/year for something I'm not using.
Old 02-22-2014, 9:44 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdben92883 View Post
I was satisfied with the training I received at Front Sight. The actual course fees are low when you do it right. However, when I factor in the cost of gas, lodging, food, background fee, and my time, it always ends up being much cheaper and efficient to just take a local class. And the trainer/trainee ratio at the local options is usually better than what you end up with at FS. I've been offered free memberships to FS and have turned them down simply because I can't be out of town 2-5 days at a time to shoot and I'm too cheap to pay the $50/year for something I'm not using.
Good points. You need to go with friends or family to offset the travel costs. It actually ends up being more fun that way going as a group. Note that you do NOT have to pay the $50 background check fee if you are not taking a class that year. Pay the fee when you sign up for a course. If you don't take a course that year, you pay ZERO (just ignore all the emails )
Old 02-23-2014, 7:27 PM

Training is about 45 min from Vegas (Pahrump, NV). Training is good. I've taken it. Believe they also claim (or at least did) that when finished with their 4 day def handgun course, you'll be better trained on fundamentals than about 90-ish % of active duty peace officers (gov't workers).

Believe they have some class training / seminar type of presentation during the lunch break. The lead speaker (former gov't worker) had solid articulation skills. Especially, if you're involved in a shooting and what you 'might' want to say when the gov't workers arrive.

Also, if you attend, during the seminars you able to ask questions. If you attend, ask: "When is it deemed appropriate to use violence against an armed gov't worker?" The gov't workers in attendance working on their skills didn't seem to happy with the speaker's answer.

Last edited by INALIENABLE RIGHT CITIZEN; 02-23-2014 at 7:29 PM..