Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-18-2014, 9:09 AM

Question Best Reloading Data Book

Just a little while ago this morning I thought of loading up some 30-06 rounds for my SA1903. At this time I only have two book. Lee and Sierra. I'm not sure now what book to really trust. Here is the info from the books...

Who do I trust or is there a more trustworthy book out there? Been reloading now for about 1 year. Been going well.

Powder using IMR4895

Sierra Book
Bullet- Sierra #2140 165g (Game King)
Min. load-40.05 @ 2400fps
Max load-46.8 @ 2888fps

LEE Book (only shows weight of bullet)
Bullet- Same as above
Min. load-49.0 @ 2768fps
Max load-52.0 @ 2888fps

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 02-18-2014, 9:37 AM

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
Old 02-18-2014, 9:45 AM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321jarhead View Post
Just a little while ago this morning I thought of loading up some 30-06 rounds for my SA1903. At this time I only have two book. Lee and Sierra. I'm not sure now what book to really trust. Here is the info from the books...

Who do I trust or is there a more trustworthy book out there? Been reloading now for about 1 year. Been going well.

Powder using IMR4895

Sierra Book
Max load-46.8 @ 2888fps

Bullet- Same as above
Min. load-49.0 @ 2768fps
Max load-52.0 @ 2888fps
What does both books list as COAL?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:07 AM

When I stared reloading, someone told me to use the reloading manual of the bullet that I plan to load. I now have Hornady and Sierra manuals.

If I were you, load some ammo based on each manual and see which one your rifle likes . . .

Quote:

Powder using IMR4895

Sierra Book
Max load-46.8 @ 2888fps

Bullet- Same as above
Min. load-49.0 @ 2768fps
Max load-52.0 @ 2888fps
Old 02-18-2014, 11:13 AM

Its not a matter of "who to trust" its understanding that each firearm is different, as are the reloading components.

The Lyman manual uses universal receivers and pressure test barrels with minimum chamber and bore dimensions. These test barrels use copper crushers or transducers read actual direct pressures. These test barrels will generate the highest possible pressures and not pressures generated in average size chambers and bores. Meaning the test barrels give you the safest data.

In manuals where a specific firearm is listed a strain gauge is glued to the barrel and then calibrated with a known pressure cartridge. This is where the most variations will be seen between manuals and chamber pressures. This is because of the variations in manufacture between firearms.

The secret isn't which manual is the most accurate, the secret is having "MORE" manuals or reloading information and "AVERAGE" the data then start low and work up.

Below is "YOUR" best data, learning to read your primers for pressure and knowing when to stop increasing the load. The photo below is a work up load with the start load on the left and progressing to the right and a over max load on the far right case.

Primers are "ball park" pressure signs as each brand/type primer will react to pressures differently and are just one pressure sign you look for.

Below, over pressure signs for a AR15 rifle, the brass starts to flow into the ejector hole in the bolt face. Then you start to see brass swipes and the extractor marks on the rim.

Another sign of over pressure is a increase in the base diameter of the case just above the extractor groove. Below is an exaggerated example showing how brass will flow at excessive chamber pressures.

The internal case capacity of the case can have a very big effect on chamber pressure. Below is the same powder charge in .223/5.56 cases with the most and least case capacity. This caused a pressure variation of approximately 6,000 psi between brands/types of cases. The top pressure and velocity chart is a case with a capacity of 28.8 grains of H2O and the bottom chart is a Lake City 5.56 case with 30.6 grains of H2O capacity.

Bottom line, start low and work up and read your primers, they will tell you a pressure story. The more you do this the better you will understand "YOUR" firearms and their limitations. Manuals are nothing more than ballpark guesstimates and its up to you to get your "REAL" data.

Last edited by bigedp51; 02-18-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
Its not a matter of "who to trust" its understanding that each firearm is different, as are the reloading components.

The Lyman manual uses universal receivers and pressure test barrels with minimum chamber and bore dimensions. These test barrels use copper crushers or transducers read actual direct pressures. These test barrels will generate the highest possible pressures and not pressures generated in average size chambers and bores. Meaning the test barrels give you the safest data.

In manuals where a specific firearm is listed a strain gauge is glued to the barrel and then calibrated with a known pressure cartridge. This is where the most variations will be seen between manuals and chamber pressures. This is because of the variations in manufacture between firearms.

The secret isn't which manual is the most accurate, the secret is having "MORE" manuals or reloading information and "AVERAGE" the data then start low and work up.

Below is "YOUR" best data, learning to read your primers for pressure and knowing when to stop increasing the load. The photo below is a work up load with the start load on the left and progressing to the right and a over max load on the far right case.

Primers are "ball park" pressure signs as each brand/type primer will react to pressures differently and are just one pressure sign you look for.

"snip".............
this is all great info, I will just add (for anyone that is looking to reload for shotgun) that reloading shotgun is not the same, what you have in the books for reloading are recipes follow them as they are. you can NOT read primers on shotgun shells. you will be so far over pressure buy the time it shows on the primer I doubt you will have a gun in one piece.
My new saying is, "when the last informed shooter gets fed up setting the record straight from all the trolls, only trolls will be on Calguns.."
Close to the edge here brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Great info guys...thanks!

I've printed out several copies of the ammo I use about 6 months ago or so. It's been a big help.

The Sierra book shows COAL 3.185
The LEE book shows Min COAL 3.300 Data with Hodgdon-Got it. Thanks

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 02-18-2014, 2:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"Best" is a subjective term. Depends on what components you are reloading.

Using Hornady bullets = Hornady manual recommended
Speer bullets = speer manual recommended
Nosler bullets = Nosler manual recommended

Notice a trend?
Old 02-18-2014, 3:06 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=863865

California Reloading Club - IE Section
Old 02-18-2014, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:

Powder using IMR4895

Sierra Book
Max load-46.8 @ 2888fps

Bullet- Same as above
Min. load-49.0 @ 2768fps
Max load-52.0 @ 2888fps
The only TRUSTWORTHY books are the most recent/current books. BUT, Since I THOUGHT that Lee takes data from manufacturers, well, how is it that they do not update their books more than once every few years? Manufacturers seem to update their data about every year or more. All book publishers are gonna give you "safe" loads for their own CYA. It is up to you to go beyond that if you dare mess... But if you blow yourself up, they told you so, so they are not at fault...

Lyman and Lee are very good because they really have no dogs in the fight, so they cover a wide range of bullets and in the end, what do you REALLY have? You have lead bullets or jacketed bullets. The rest we can figure out...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 02-19-2014, 4:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Most powders: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...ghlight=manual
Old 02-19-2014, 8:22 AM

I like using Accurate Powder and their online data. I've also got a Lyman and Speer manual.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:06 AM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

also, look for the tested barrel length and twist.
Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
Well if it makes you feel better, I also support the KKK, NeoNazis, WestBoro, Skins, and any other groups right to assemble