Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 02-14-2014, 4:36 PM

Just came over from ARFCOM after hearing about this. Are vault doors also going with the Group Buy? Also, am I reading correctly that we will be paying Sturdy directly? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Just came over from ARFCOM after hearing about this. Are vault doors also going with the Group Buy? Also, am I reading correctly that we will be paying Sturdy directly? Thanks.
Welcome! I'm sure vault doors are included in the GB, although you are the first to ask. You would be paying Sturdy directly. I would call them and ask to talk with Alyssa - she's the contact point (and the owner) for this GB.
Old 02-16-2014, 5:57 PM

Tagged
Old 02-16-2014, 7:39 PM

Like many of you have mentioned, I also have done research on safes in general and came up with Sturdy as a solid choice. There were other choices that I considered (especially AMSEC), but what really did it for me was being able to visit the company on the way back from Yosemite last November.

I was running late and called to let them know that I probably wouldn’t make it in time, but they were kind enough to stay open just for me. I got to tour the warehouse and see the range of sizes, options and really understand their safes better.

Trying to be as fair possible, here’s some comments from what I found, and ultimately why I decided to get a Sturdy safe.

Their safes feel solid. They aren’t particularly pretty, nor are they focused on making them so. They aren’t glossy and have a rough feel to them on the exterior and interior. The carpet on the bottom is pretty thin and cut roughly.

In what the safes lack in physical aesthetics, they make up in functional quality (from what I can tell as a layperson). The fitment of the door to the body is very good, with little gap. The mechanisms seem simple and robust. It does look like the number of rifles listed on the website is likely to fit.

Overall, I was impressed with the, well, sturdiness of the safe. Customer service seems excellent so far from my personal experience and I can find only one negative review online. I did like the Amsec safes, and liked the door organizer. However, in reviewing the thickness of safe and fire retardant materials, I believe that for a similar price point the Sturdy is a better safe in terms of theft deterrent and fire resilience, while giving up a nicer overall finish and some utility.

While this is in no means a comprehensive review, hopefully it’ll help people better make their own choice about choosing a safe. The best way for me to describe why I'm choosing a Sturdy is when I put my valuables in the safe, I am not going to worry about someone getting into it or a fire being an issue, given where I live.
Old 02-16-2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychophd View Post
Like many of you have mentioned, I also have done research on safes in general and came up with Sturdy as a solid choice. There were other choices that I considered (especially AMSEC), but what really did it for me was being able to visit the company on the way back from Yosemite last November.

I was running late and called to let them know that I probably wouldnít make it in time, but they were kind enough to stay open just for me. I got to tour the warehouse and see the range of sizes, options and really understand their safes better.

Trying to be as fair possible, hereís some comments from what I found, and ultimately why I decided to get a Sturdy safe.

Their safes feel solid. They arenít particularly pretty, nor are they focused on making them so. They arenít glossy and have a rough feel to them on the exterior and interior. The carpet on the bottom is pretty thin and cut roughly.

In what the safes lack in physical aesthetics, they make up in functional quality (from what I can tell as a layperson). The fitment of the door to the body is very good, with little gap. The mechanisms seem simple and robust. It does look like the number of rifles listed on the website is likely to fit.

Overall, I was impressed with the, well, sturdiness of the safe. Customer service seems excellent so far from my personal experience and I can find only one negative review online. I did like the Amsec safes, and liked the door organizer. However, in reviewing the thickness of safe and fire retardant materials, I believe that for a similar price point the Sturdy is a better safe in terms of theft deterrent and fire resilience, while giving up a nicer overall finish and some utility.

While this is in no means a comprehensive review, hopefully itíll help people better make their own choice about choosing a safe. The best way for me to describe why I'm choosing a Sturdy is when I put my valuables in the safe, I am not going to worry about someone getting into it or a fire being an issue, given where I live.

I looked into Amsec's as well. They seems great and are definitely more aesthetically pleasing; however, they are significantly more expensive if you go with one of their models that provide the same security as a Sturdy (i.e., 7 gauge).

Someone analogized Sturdy safes to Glocks, and based on my research, that seems pretty accurate.
Old 02-17-2014, 8:53 AM

Just spoke with Sturdy. Excellent customer service. Really took the time to discuss the safe and the group buy with me.

I am officially moving from the "interested parties" list and onto the "confirmed buyers" list!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:13 AM

Are any of you getting your Sturdy with a drill hole for a dri-rod/Golden Rod?

I'll be moving in a few months, and don't I which side a should have it drilled. Would you suggest just not getting it drilled at all and then doing it myself when I do know where the outlet will be? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Resident Leg Humper
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantasturdysafe View Post
Are any of you getting your Sturdy with a drill hole for a dri-rod/Golden Rod?

I'll be moving in a few months, and don't I which side a should have it drilled. Would you suggest just not getting it drilled at all and then doing it myself when I do know where the outlet will be? Thanks.
I had this issue as well, and decided to not get the hole and will use an Eva
Dry

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

Old 02-17-2014, 12:18 PM

Since my safe isn't going to be fire lined, I went with the drilled hole because I will be using a Dri-Rod.
Old 02-17-2014, 4:06 PM

Thanks for the help. Are any of you getting any upgrades for your Sturdy? Which ones and why?
Old 02-17-2014, 6:11 PM

I see they use S&G locks. Do they provide the change key as it mention that the combo is changeable.
Old 02-18-2014, 9:31 AM

Just spoke to Alyssa, yes vault doors are included so, I'm in. Just got to figure out the details on features and shipping.
Old 02-18-2014, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude View Post
I see they use S&G locks. Do they provide the change key as it mention that the combo is changeable.

When I spoke to them, they said the locks come pre-set with a combo that you can change to whatever you want.
Old 02-18-2014, 9:51 AM

iwantasturdysafe and mhidpa, when you have the particulars about the safe/vault door you want, please pm me your information and I will add you to the list. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 9:59 AM

I would get the largest safe you can afford without the fire protection. I have the 2723 with the 2 side shelves for 3 rifles with scopes, 2 shotguns, 2 cases of ammo, 5 handguns and it is crowded. Also, you can put your personal tax documents, titles and deed, and somehow your wife's expensive jewelry may end up in there as well.

The fire protection is not fireproof, it just can withstand X number of degrees for X # of minutes, after that it is the same as no protection.

Word of advice, leave the door open when you reprogram the new combo, then test with door open, if you are off by one mark with the door closed, you are SOL and have to call a locksmith.

Last edited by dk94044; 02-18-2014 at 10:02 AM..
Old 02-18-2014, 1:19 PM

Please put me on the INTERESTED list. I'll be taking a ride up to their warehouse this week to get a good first hand look. I phoned ahead and was told that I could stop in between 10am/4pm m/f and get a tour of their stocked warehouse which is just across the street from the mfg plant.
Old 02-18-2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
iwantasturdysafe and mhidpa, when you have the particulars about the safe/vault door you want, please pm me your information and I will add you to the list. Thanks!
Will do. I'm equivocating on the pistol rack and drill hole right now.
Old 02-18-2014, 7:31 PM

Add me to the interested list also.
Old 02-19-2014, 6:43 AM

Quote:
PM sent.
Old 02-19-2014, 6:44 AM

Quote:
PM sent!
Old 02-19-2014, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post
I called Sturdy and talked to the owner and web site model, Alyssa, who is the daughter of the former owner, Terry. She was very professional and a pleasure to talk to. I hadn't checked out all the pages and videos on their web site in quite a while, so I had questions regarding moving the safe. She was more than happy to give detailed information and point me to the right place on the web site for more info. I appreciate good customer service.

It looks like the 36x27x72 with the #2 with side shelves could be delivered to the IE at a savings of more than $150 over the price listed on the web site. If we get enough people together, I could save another couple hundred dollars and potentially get the upgraded warranty for free as well. We need 14 people for the additional warranty. If we reach 14, that would be around a 15% discount with the extended warranty, maybe more, vs. the price if I bought by myself. It isn't as much as some people claimed, but it is still a very nice savings for only having to jump on a calguns group buy list at the same time as the others.

I would definitely recommend talking to Sturdy Safe and considering the group buy.

Now I just have to make sure the finances are in order and then jump in.

Just as an FYI, I called Sturdy a few weeks ago about the same size safe and they quoted me a price that was a couple hundred under the price advertised on their website because I live in Nevada. They would do the same for you because you live even closer.

The price on the website is for delivery to the furthest point stateside. If you call, they adjust the price of shipping according to where you are located. I dont know how much a group buy is truly saving for those of us who live on the west coast?

Advertised price: $2,563
Quote over phone: $2,262

Once again, I received this quote w/out asking about a group buy.

Last edited by CalRon; 02-19-2014 at 8:39 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 8:38 AM

I'll be calling to see if I can get in on this as it will be an out of state delivery in about 75 days. Placing CA in my rear view
Old 02-19-2014, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRon View Post
Just as an FYI, I called Sturdy a few weeks ago about the same size safe and they quoted me a price that was a couple hundred under the price advertised on their website because I live in Nevada. They would do the same for you because you live even closer.

The price on the website is for delivery to the furthest point stateside. If you call, they adjust the price of shipping according to where you are located. I dont know how much a group buy is truly saving for those of us who live on the west coast?

Advertised price: $2,563
Quote over phone: $2,262

Once again, I received this quote w/out asking about a group buy.
Thanks for the heads up. I did call them. They quoted $2432 with the dri rod and a pistol rack, no fire lining. I live in the IE of SoCal. It looks like your price quote was about a hundred dollars less.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM

If you have access to a loading dock, then that will help your shipping cost also. Nothing bigger than a box truck is going to make it to my house, so I'm having it shipped to a friends business.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:23 PM

I just got back from a tour of the Sturdy Safe Company in Fresno. They had on hand around thirty finished safes of various sizes and configurations. They have no dealers so most of if not all of the safes had homes.
Fit and finish was pretty damn good considering their nominal pricing structure.
I was given a pricing sheet of all of their models excluding the individual safe door and frame. These are BASE prices 1. with or 2. without fire insulation excluding shipping, taxes and our soon to be determined calguns discount. For example, A 2723 (27"W 23"D 60"H) without fire insulation is $1249.00. The online website price is $1607, a $358.00 back in my pocket difference. This higher website figure has somehow factored in an included freight cost. I'm going to pick up my safe at their facility with my truck and cut out the shipping fee as I live a little over an hour away from them.
If you want a BASE price figure for your model, call them or PM me and I'll give it to you right off of their handout sheet.
OP, move me over to the "Confirmed Buyers" list for a model 2723 (27"W 23"D 60"H)-I'll PM you ASAP once I sort out the options.
Forgot to mention that Sturdy Safe has an employee that on his own time will handle the safe's placement and bolt down at your place for an additional fee. I didn't go into it any further because it isn't something that I need so again, call and inquire if interested.

Last edited by nickel plate; 02-19-2014 at 1:24 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 PM

I am in the interested camp pending a sit down with the boss
Old 02-19-2014, 1:19 PM

For those planning on a Dri Rod dehumidifier and the 1/4" electrical hole:
I'm planning a move in the not so distant future so my question is why not have a right side and a left side electrical hole to compensate for the unknown outlet location in the new digs?
Old 02-19-2014, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Sorry for the slow response - work has been crazy + we moved, Chinese New Year, friends coming out of town and the imminent threat of Godzilla to prep for.

As of 2/19/14, confirmed on the GB are:

1. FastEddie
2. Coolcom
3. Supermanuf
4. Lawjp
5. Kartman
6. Jash9
7. Psychophd (OP)
8. Gimlet 421
9. Toothpickdude
10. Mromniscient
11. Iwantasturdysafe

Interested parties are:

1. Icedevil
2. Mag360
3. DC3
4. Billped
5. TopSergeant
6. Nickle plate
7. Bush wacker

I'm thinking we give this another two weeks and then close it, unless there's a ton of people who want to join but need more time. In general, the more people that join the GB, the more Sturdy will discount all the safes in the GB. In addition, if we hit 14 people as part of this GB, we would get an upgraded warranty worth $150. Thoughts?

If you want to join the group buy, you must be ready to commit to buy a safe and have money in hand.

When you are ready, PM me the following info:
1. Full name
2. Screen name
3. Size of safe desired
4. Options wanted
5. Zip code (for delivery).

When we close the GB (most likely by end of Feb), I will fwd the info to Sturdy, who will then send you a quote. If you are trying to guesstimate the cost, call Sturdy directly.

Re: delivery, I'm not arranging that so please check with Sturdy.

Re: pricing, call Sturdy for an approx price depending on your location (their prices include general delivery to all of the US so to CA is cheaper).

Feel free to post this to other forums (e.g., THR or AR or whatever) but I don't have the time to do that.

Thanks all!
By what means is Sturdy going to send us a quote? You're not asking (at this time) for PMd physical address, phone number or e-mail or text address so are they capable of using the calguns forum and sending a PM quote that way?
Just asking.
Old 02-19-2014, 1:45 PM

Quote:
By what means is Sturdy going to send us a quote? You're not asking (at this time) for PMd physical address, phone number or e-mail or text address so are they capable of using the calguns forum and sending a PM quote that way?
Just asking.
If you PM the information (physical address, safe options, etc), when I close the GB I send the info to Sturdy, who then based on what you want to buy, discount based on # of people in the GB, and distance for shipping, will send you a quote. Not sure if they will send you a quote via email, phone, etc. I can find out, or if you have a preference I can note that when I send them the info.
Old 02-19-2014, 3:29 PM

TWO MORE PEOPLE TO GO FOR THE FREE $150 WARRANTY!
Old 02-19-2014, 4:51 PM

Too bad.. Would like to join in on this, but I'm in the beginning stages of a remodel, and will not have a place to put the safe for at least several months. If only I could put down a down-payment and reserve the discount for a later date... Probably too complicated. Maybe I can get in on the next GB.
Old 02-19-2014, 4:53 PM

I am in for sure. One to go!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM

What type of options is everyone getting?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I think that's probably something you would want to keep to yourself. Wouldn't want to give any criminal element a heads up?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 AM

Guess I'm lucky number 14! I PM'd you the specs for the safe and my contact info.

Aaron
Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Black satin paint, no fire lining, Rack #2 w/ shelves.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRon View Post
Guess I'm lucky number 14! I PM'd you the specs for the safe and my contact info.

Aaron
Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM

PM sent. I'm also in.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlet421 View Post
I think that's probably something you would want to keep to yourself. Wouldn't want to give any criminal element a heads up?
I guess it depends if you gave your address out under your screen name .
Old 02-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Resident Leg Humper
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlet421 View Post
1/4 in plexiglass front door

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount