Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-16-2014, 7:28 AM
Wheelsonly Wheelsonly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 379
iTrader: -1 / 0%
Default Skeet at coyote anyone ?

Anyone up for a round today ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2014, 2:15 PM
bigbearbear's Avatar
bigbearbear bigbearbear is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,490
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelsonly View Post
Anyone up for a round today ?
Sorry man, I was there on Sat morning, then spent the afternoon at Sunnyvale shooting 5-stand (got my butt handed to me....so many pro shooters there...but I did received some free lessons which is fantastic) and today wife and I spent the day at Los Altos.

Yeah, we shoot a lot.
But mostly because we won't be able to shoot for the next 2 weeks due to business travels, so we're trying to make up for it.
__________________
We are the Democrats. Lower your shields and surrender your guns. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2014, 9:10 PM
JagerDog's Avatar
JagerDog JagerDog is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,288
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

I shot at metcalf
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
Tell me again why Christians should ever fight for this country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
I won't.
I sign the dotted line and wrote a blank check to my country (RIP) back in the 1980s payable up to and including my life.
Back then I had a country worth defending, if Russia or China were to invade tomorrow I'll laugh.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2014, 9:21 AM
Wheelsonly Wheelsonly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 379
iTrader: -1 / 0%
Default

Anyone going out today. ?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2014, 9:34 AM
alfred1222's Avatar
alfred1222 alfred1222 is offline
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Auburn, Alabama
Posts: 7,000
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

No, because its a holiday and every non-shooter for 100 miles is going to be out on the range, jacking off with their rental shotgun. Not safe, and not conducive to training. I would pass, and wait for a day when less people are there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
This guy is a complete and total idiot.
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-17-2014, 9:49 AM
bigbearbear's Avatar
bigbearbear bigbearbear is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,490
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1222 View Post
No, because its a holiday and every non-shooter for 100 miles is going to be out on the range, jacking off with their rental shotgun.
__________________
We are the Democrats. Lower your shields and surrender your guns. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 AM
sd joe sd joe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 558
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Kind of a snooty post Alfred, everyone has to start somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-17-2014, 1:30 PM
alfred1222's Avatar
alfred1222 alfred1222 is offline
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Auburn, Alabama
Posts: 7,000
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd joe View Post
Kind of a snooty post Alfred, everyone has to start somewhere.
You're damn right it's snooty, however I don't remember telling you or anyone else not to go, I'm saying that I will not go because the range is full of people who can't properly shoulder the gun, let alone break a true pair. Going out there and wasting 2 hours with a group of shooters of that caliber guarantees I won't grow as a shooter, so I choose to spend that time elsewhere. If you want to go instruct or watch them, more power to you. There's a reason coyote lets their instructors shoot before the gate opens
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
This guy is a complete and total idiot.
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-17-2014, 6:58 PM
trapperjohn trapperjohn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 308
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

So I guess then the best way to learn shotgun safety and the proper techniques for shooting one is to go to the dessert with some buddies that saw some moron on youtube shooting at a watermelon.

Without newbies being welcomed and encouraged into the shooting sports by those already there, participation will dwindle as the veterans in the shotgun sports slowly die-off. Then the shotgun ranges will have an increasingly tough time making ends meet, while the encroaching homeowners complain about the noise (since they are ignorant of the sport because no one ever encouraged them to at least experience it once). Then the ranges fold, one by one, until there is no place left to shoot a proper game of trap, skeet, five stand, or SC's.

And if I had to guess, at one time, at some point, even someone as awesome as alfred1222 had to learn how (for the first time) to correctly shoulder a shotgun, and with some encouragement, probably learned to shoot a true pair.

I encourage alfred1222 to shoot when the ranges are less crowded, lest his arrogance and elitism dissuade someone that is genuinely interested from getting hooked on clay sports for life.

But what do I know - I just started shooting skeet last year (with my wife and son) after taking some excellent and supportive professional instruction at a shotgun range. We shoot in our first tournament in two weeks.

Last edited by trapperjohn; 02-17-2014 at 8:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-17-2014, 7:20 PM
Chubs T Chubs T is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 70
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1222 View Post
There's a reason coyote lets their instructors shoot before the gate opens
Because it's free and they do not want the instructors taking time away from their patrons. Most of those instructors get paid in targets, I know this because a relative of mine was an instructor at Coyote Valley.

I was not fortunate to have my range open today. If it were, I would have been there no matter how many people showed up. All practice is good, learning how to keep focus through a myriad of distractions is still good practice.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-17-2014, 7:32 PM
Thefeeder Thefeeder is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,004
iTrader: 29 / 97%
Default

^^^^^^^^^^^^

"learning how to keep focus through a myriad of distractions is still good practice. "


+1
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2014, 7:01 AM
alfred1222's Avatar
alfred1222 alfred1222 is offline
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Auburn, Alabama
Posts: 7,000
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
So I guess then the best way to learn shotgun safety and the proper techniques for shooting one is to go to the dessert with some buddies that saw some moron on youtube shooting at a watermelon.

Without newbies being welcomed and encouraged into the shooting sports by those already there, participation will dwindle as the veterans in the shotgun sports slowly die-off. Then the shotgun ranges will have an increasingly tough time making ends meet, while the encroaching homeowners complain about the noise (since they are ignorant of the sport because no one ever encouraged them to at least experience it once). Then the ranges fold, one by one, until there is no place left to shoot a proper game of trap, skeet, five stand, or SC's.

And if I had to guess, at one time, at some point, even someone as awesome as alfred1222 had to learn how (for the first time) to correctly shoulder a shotgun, and with some encouragement, probably learned to shoot a true pair.

I encourage alfred1222 to shoot when the ranges are less crowded, lest his arrogance and elitism dissuade someone that is genuinely interested from getting hooked on clay sports for life.

But what do I know - I just started shooting skeet last year (with my wife and son) after taking some excellent and supportive professional instruction at a shotgun range. We shoot in our first tournament in two weeks.
No sparky, the best way to learn is to go to a crowded range where you refuse to take a lesson because you are a self absorbed know it all, head out to the skeet field with 10 of your friends, swing your gun around like its a toy, endangering shooters all over the range by your lack of experience, and then refuse help because again, you know it all. Thats what 99% of the new shooters do. They dont want help, they dont want instruction, they want to do things there way.

I dont get why you think im arrogant or an elitist? i dont like shooting with noobs, so i dont go to the range when they are there. THAT IS MY OPINION. Im not telling other people to not go, im not saying veterans of the sport should abandon the range just because i am, all im saying is that, on days like presidents day, I WONT BE SHOOTING. Pull the stick out of you a** chief, im not saying that new shooters have no place at the range. Reading comprehension is your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs T View Post
Because it's free and they do not want the instructors taking time away from their patrons. Most of those instructors get paid in targets, I know this because a relative of mine was an instructor at Coyote Valley.

I was not fortunate to have my range open today. If it were, I would have been there no matter how many people showed up. All practice is good, learning how to keep focus through a myriad of distractions is still good practice.
Not true.. The instructors are also the range masters, they want us on the range at all times to maintain safety and fix problems. If you havent noticed, coyote doesnt have a rangemaster, its the guys who teach that also have the name tags, and act as RO's with the permission of the owner. And who is your relative?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
This guy is a complete and total idiot.
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2014, 7:02 AM
alfred1222's Avatar
alfred1222 alfred1222 is offline
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Auburn, Alabama
Posts: 7,000
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^

"learning how to keep focus through a myriad of distractions is still good practice. "


+1
I disagree feeder, when youre trying to work on a particular skill set, having to constantly sit out and take hour long breaks is a distraction. Noise is not the issue, its having to give the range up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
This guy is a complete and total idiot.
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-18-2014, 9:54 AM
Wheelsonly Wheelsonly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 379
iTrader: -1 / 0%
Default

I was the one asking to go shooting so where would the group of ametures come from ? Very rare that I see the skeet fields at coyote being used by first timers.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-18-2014, 10:16 AM
bigbearbear's Avatar
bigbearbear bigbearbear is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,490
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelsonly View Post
I was the one asking to go shooting so where would the group of ametures come from ? Very rare that I see the skeet fields at coyote being used by first timers.
Did you go yesterday? Was it crowded? I've also noticed that most people do not use the practice field. I've yet to try it myself, maybe next time when I'm there I'll try it.
__________________
We are the Democrats. Lower your shields and surrender your guns. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-18-2014, 10:29 AM
RudyN's Avatar
RudyN RudyN is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Clara County
Posts: 1,915
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I had intended to go, but I am still fighting this stupid Bronchitis and it is no fun to shoot while coughing. I am a beginner in clay shooting, but have done a fair amount of Cowboy Action Shooting at the cowboy shooting range that is on the left as you come int.
__________________
Rudy N
NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-18-2014, 12:09 PM
calif 15-22's Avatar
calif 15-22 calif 15-22 is offline
Paid Government Shill
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 4,440
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1222 View Post
No, because its a holiday and every non-shooter for 100 miles is going to be out on the range, jacking off with their rental shotgun. Not safe, and not conducive to training. I would pass, and wait for a day when less people are there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1222 View Post
You're damn right it's snooty, however I don't remember telling you or anyone else not to go, I'm saying that I will not go because the range is full of people who can't properly shoulder the gun, let alone break a true pair. Going out there and wasting 2 hours with a group of shooters of that caliber guarantees I won't grow as a shooter, so I choose to spend that time elsewhere. If you want to go instruct or watch them, more power to you. There's a reason coyote lets their instructors shoot before the gate opens

I was there Sunday and the place was fairly empty. Plenty of parking. We didn't wait at a single station or the trap or Skeet field.

Alfred I'm a new shooter at Coyote. I go with my two sons who are also new shooters. We only have one gun a non clay Versamax so we have to rent 2 O/Us. I can tell you I'm overly safe and probably cannot shoulder a 12ga properly. I can tell you I can not break a true pair if my life depended on it.

I can however tell you the you and every other "Pro" there were once a new shooter at some point just like me. I would hope that you received some pointers and guidance from more seasoned shooters when you were new to the game.

My first time there I watched Bigbearbear and his wife shoot trap. Amazing watching someone who knew what they were doing. I stepped up and hit 8 or 9 of 25. Pretty weak shooting.

There are some great people out there. There are some snooty people as well. You know the type. Two older guys with $5K guns and all the right gear in the golf cart, talking behind you just loud enough so you can hear them, but not so loud as to be directed towards you. Things like "nice gun for trap" or "bet he launches to high houses" or "how long are we going to have to wait" or some other nonsense.

And I will have to admit you also get the rowdy crowd who takes 15 shots each and ties up a station and stands way to close to you.

Sunday was my forth time there and my forth time ever shooting clays. All the people working there are amazing and helpful. I wish I had the coin for a traditional Browning 725 O/U or Benelli SuperSport, but with 2 in college and 1 not far behind a Dad has to prioritize.

So maybe some day when you are there and see a Dad with his sons shooting and missing everything, you might say "Hay . . . try leading a bit more, or drop your shoulder, or keep both eyes open" or some other helpful hint to get us newbies moving right along.

Thanks . . .
__________________
I will no longer respond to posts where I am quoted. It's a matter of insanity!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream

Last edited by calif 15-22; 02-18-2014 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-18-2014, 2:42 PM
Sennasixty8 Sennasixty8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: East Bay Area
Posts: 470
iTrader: 51 / 100%
Default

I hear ya Cali 15-22, in fact ..for unknown reasons I shoot my trusty moss 500 pump better than my new browning citori. Go figure!

I get plenty of looks and laffs until the clays get smoked.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-18-2014, 3:00 PM
calif 15-22's Avatar
calif 15-22 calif 15-22 is offline
Paid Government Shill
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 4,440
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennasixty8 View Post
I hear ya Cali 15-22, in fact ..for unknown reasons I shoot my trusty moss 500 pump better than my new browning citori. Go figure!

I get plenty of looks and laffs until the clays get smoked.
You should have seen the looks I get with my Versamax Tactical

My days of "smoking clay" are still many trips away. My thinking is I'd rather be crappy with crappy equipment, than crappy with great equipment.

I have a ton to learn about the game for sure.
__________________
I will no longer respond to posts where I am quoted. It's a matter of insanity!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-18-2014, 3:26 PM
otteray otteray is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Santa Cruz & Lake Tahoe
Posts: 2,690
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

I take my first time shotgun friends there for the "Experience Package" (I think that's what it's called) with an instructor or else to a training station like 16 with both crossing and incoming slow targets. Have not tried the new improved training course yet.
I tried to teach a guy awhile back and he hit 1-25. Never again. From now on my newbie friends get the package and bbq lunch afterwards (good skirt steak sammiches, cold beer)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-18-2014, 3:31 PM
Thefeeder Thefeeder is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,004
iTrader: 29 / 97%
Default ><

There is one more option for learning clays for the South Bay.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=405000
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-18-2014, 4:07 PM
Mouth Mouth is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I went out on Monday in the afternoon. It was great. Nobody there at all. I shot 300 rounds with no wait at all. I was able to shoot 100 round on station 17 before someone else walked up and wanted to shoot. If you didnt go cause you thought it was going to be packed with noobs, you missed out.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-18-2014, 4:13 PM
ysr_racer's Avatar
ysr_racer ysr_racer is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: somewhere lost in the O.C.
Posts: 4,062
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

I'll be up at Coyote Valley on Friday March 7th. Anybody want to shoot a round of sporting clays?
__________________
Brad G.
So Cal USA
Check out my Sporting Clays page, CLICK HERE!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-18-2014, 4:18 PM
trapperjohn trapperjohn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 308
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I so want to shoot at Coyote Valley - beautiful facility and great field choices. I imagine the SC course is gorgeous.

Maybe sometime this Spring, if I can work the schedule...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-18-2014, 4:29 PM
Thefeeder Thefeeder is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,004
iTrader: 29 / 97%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'll be up at Coyote Valley on Friday March 7th. Anybody want to shoot a round of sporting clays?

I would if I did not have a Clinic scheduled....Drop by Metcalf (right the other side of the 101) and say hello...we'll be on field 1 or 2
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-18-2014, 6:07 PM
ysr_racer's Avatar
ysr_racer ysr_racer is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: somewhere lost in the O.C.
Posts: 4,062
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Is that Metcalf ? I've seen it from the road. What time will you guys be there?
__________________
Brad G.
So Cal USA
Check out my Sporting Clays page, CLICK HERE!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-18-2014, 6:11 PM
Thefeeder Thefeeder is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,004
iTrader: 29 / 97%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Is that Metcalf ? I've seen it from the road. What time will you guys be there?
Yes it is.. will be there from Noon to 3:30-4pm
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-19-2014, 4:00 PM
ysr_racer's Avatar
ysr_racer ysr_racer is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: somewhere lost in the O.C.
Posts: 4,062
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Is this the place?

http://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/pa...orts-Park.aspx
__________________
Brad G.
So Cal USA
Check out my Sporting Clays page, CLICK HERE!!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-19-2014, 4:28 PM
Thefeeder Thefeeder is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,004
iTrader: 29 / 97%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Dat dare be it.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-19-2014, 9:01 PM
Mana4real Mana4real is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 435
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennasixty8 View Post
I hear ya Cali 15-22, in fact ..for unknown reasons I shoot my trusty moss 500 pump better than my new browning citori. Go figure!

I get plenty of looks and laffs until the clays get smoked.
I'll take that browning off your hands then .. The 725 sporting fits me just about perfect.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:14 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.