Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-18-2014, 8:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiaboli View Post
1/3 of the population is left-eye dominant (10% are left-handed), if you are left-eye dominant, it's worth either re-training with a patch or just buy lefthand rifles when the action is harder to do quickly lefthand in my opinion. A bolt rifle falls in that category for me. Follow up shots with a lefthand bolt action are much faster for me and I don't have to close the left eye looking through the scope like I would if I was shooting righthand. LH rifles should be 1/3 of the total available given eye dominance in the population, but they are not. Still, for me, it is worth the extra effort to find them—I spend more time shooting than shopping and I want the best accuracy and speed in my shooting.
I only have a few left hand rifles. It's nice to have left hand rifles but I have shot right hand rifles (left handed) for so long, I'm more use to doing that than working a left hand action. If I buy another AI stock I'll probably get a right hand one, they work fine for the left hand shooter. The only guns that don't work are guns that are right hand only, like guns with a Monte Carlo stock or a lot of right hand cast.
Old 02-18-2014, 8:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
The only guns that don't work are guns that are right hand only, like guns with a Monte Carlo stock or a lot of right hand cast.
try keeping your left eye in the objective on a scope and cycle the bolt on a right hand rifle—you cannot. with a lefthand you can. that means better followup shots. At least for me. Your mileage may vary.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiaboli View Post
try keeping your left eye in the objective on a scope and cycle the bolt on a right hand rifle—you cannot. with a lefthand you can. that means better followup shots. At least for me. Your mileage may vary.
In any scenario that I'll need a rapid reload, I'll use the automatic. I've tried both ways shooting highpower rapidfire and running a bolt is just not for me. I gave it a try but it didn't work out.