Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 01-13-2014, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member

Default Angeles Forest - Mount Disappointment Trail

Looking for a good trail with both elevation change and a bit of distance to test out my new backpack. At the same time, I don't want to go too far in case my stamina isn't as good as my ego. Has anyone hiked this? http://www.hikespeak.com/trails/san-...isappointment/

Any other recommendations?
Old 01-13-2014, 9:31 AM

I have a book 100 hikes in the San Gabriels, Trails of the Angeles National Forrest.

If you can give the number of miles you want to hike, the difficulty factor, Easy, Moderate, strenuous, and the section you'd like to hike and I'll give you a list of what's up there.

Or go to your local book store or Amazon and buy the book. It includes topo maps. $16.95
Old 01-13-2014, 9:36 AM
CGN Contributor

From glendora mtn road you can go up a few trails that connect to monroe truck trail. Mystic canyon and poopout hill will both connect to monroe truck trail and have good elevation gain. Once they connect to the monroe truck trail is much easier.

Operators don't call 911!!!!

"Victoria Per Paratus"
Old 01-13-2014, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

I have not hiked that trail, but if you want a short and fun trail, hike to the Hollywood sign.

You can also check out the Bat Caves near one of the parking lots
Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM

Arrow

Mt. Lowe out of Altadena is a fun hike too. There are several loops that allow you to vary the route distance. And it is uphill going in, so coming out is easier than going in. This route is good in the winter, but one to avoid during big rains.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=523152

Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy), though I'd wait for Spring/Summer.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:20 PM

Checkout Alltrails.com

They also have an app you can download which allows you to download trail maps prior to losing reception.
Old 01-20-2014, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

So I hike the trail, and it was pretty nice. Shaded most of the way. The first stretch is a bit arduous, but once you climbed onto the ridge, the gradient is ok. Took me 2.5hrs to ascent and 1.5hr to descent at a leisurely pace. Round trip is about 6 miles.

If you want to take the dirt trail, the trail head is at the bottom "parking lot" before the closed gate. It starts with switchbacks immediately.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...sz=15&t=m&z=15
Old 01-20-2014, 4:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Check out Mt. Waterman off Hwy 2. It's like the high Sierras up there. There is an easy road up and several routes down including one of the best downhill mtn. bike trails. Takes about an hour to get to the top.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Ice House canyon at Mt Baldy is a nice hike. If you go on the weekends make sure you get there early (like 7am) or your hike to the trailhead might be harder then the actual hike on the trail. Once you get in a couple miles the herd thins out a bit.

Don't forget your adventure pass.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Ice House canyon at Mt Baldy is a nice hike. If you go on the weekends make sure you get there early (like 7am) or your hike to the trailhead might be harder then the actual hike on the trail. Once you get in a couple miles the herd thins out a bit.

Don't forget your adventure pass.
We did this hike last week. Goal taking Ice House trail up to the saddle. Some great views and a decent butt kicked of a hike. Then on the way down took Chapman trail which made it a loop vs an up and back hike. Taking Chapman down had some cool narrow spots very exposed and added about a mile extra.

Otherwise the Bridge to Nowhere hike is a really cool hike.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson