Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-10-2014, 6:31 PM

Nana
get it done asap. The sooner, the better the chances that you will process for may. If you take your time, you may miss it.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:06 PM

after you received ur PHS packet how long did it take to meet ur BI? and how long till you did ur poly?
Old 02-11-2014, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanapr0ducti0n View Post
after you received ur PHS packet how long did it take to meet ur BI? and how long till you did ur poly?
Nana, of course it will vary for every candidate, but after I received my background packet I had an appointment to submit it about a week later. After that was submitted my BI had a couple of follow up questions. Nothing major. I finally went for my first Poly session about 2 months after my meeting with my BI. Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2014, 7:32 PM

Good evening everyone.
I'm new to this and LOVE reading all the info here. Finally! I tested for the DSO position and was lucky enough to also apply for the DPO position using the same DSO scores. I was called in for the DPO I interview in July and received notice of a score of 97 in September. I was beginning to loose hope when, low and behold, a background packet arrived in my mailbox last Tuesday 2/4/13 out of the blue. So, here I am, anxiously waiting to complete as much as I can (CPR,first aid, awaiting transcripts, credit score report, DMV print-out, etc) as fast as I can. I have not been contacted by a BI yet. I feel like I'm in one of the last batches! Anyway, I am very happy to join, and CaptMike- YOU.ARE. AWESOME. thank you and thank you to all of the other members out there who provide a great deal of useful information. Good luck everyone!
Old 02-11-2014, 9:43 PM

Default 2nd polygraph

I am wondering how long you have to wait before they call you for the second trial of polygraph test if you did not pass it in the first trial.
Thank you
Old 02-12-2014, 4:55 PM

I was scheduled for my second polygraph somewhere between 3-5 weeks after the first. Good luck southerboy.
Old 02-12-2014, 5:32 PM

Default 2nd polygraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy_Rawlins View Post
I was scheduled for my second polygraph somewhere between 3-5 weeks after the first. Good luck southerboy.

Thank you for your quick response EASY_Rawlins. Let me ask you this, did you poly examiner told you that you did not pass when you took your first poly? Please let me know because my poly examiner told me that i have some reaction on one question then he asked me to write a statement about it. So i do not know if i passed or not.
Thank you
Old 02-12-2014, 6:16 PM

The exact same thing happened to me. So I wrote down my statement and then was told I would be contacted for a follow up examination. It was only a single question that had an irregularity.
Old 02-12-2014, 7:04 PM

Captmile, is the academy for probation trainees a full stress academy?
Old 02-12-2014, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey nut View Post
Captmile, is the academy for probation trainees a full stress academy?
My close buddy works for LA Probation (little over 6 years now). He told me it's easier than regualr sworn academy because it's lot shorter and most of the time you will be in the class setting. I could be wrong, but he told me my RSO academy seemed lot harder than his probation academy.

However, no academy was harder than Marine Corps bootcamp, especially Scout & Sniper tranining lol.. good times, good times...

WTT New H&K VP9 W/Garret Industries Holster & Mag carrier for SA EMP 9mm
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post18075738
Old 02-12-2014, 9:25 PM

7 weeks, first week is laid back. Once you get comfortable, then the fun begins. Stress academy but it is alot shorter than other departments. We loose about 15 to 20 percent per class. It is not a cake walk but definitely not as stressfull as USMC boot camp.
Old 02-13-2014, 5:26 PM

Quick question for anyone to answer. I'm filling out my PHS and one of the certified copies of paperwork I need to bring in is a sealed copy of my credit report. I Went online to Tans Union and paid a $1 for my credit report. Does this mean that they will mail me a copy? Thanks in advance for the help.

www.just4fununlimited.com
Old 02-13-2014, 9:43 PM

Default Background time

CaptMike
How long does the background part take before the polygraph?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 PM

It depends on your background. If you lived in one place and worked only one job your whole life then it could take just 1 month. If you bounced around and had lots of different jobs then it could take several months to track down folks.
Old 02-14-2014, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrtl View Post
Quick question for anyone to answer. I'm filling out my PHS and one of the certified copies of paperwork I need to bring in is a sealed copy of my credit report. I Went online to Tans Union and paid a $1 for my credit report. Does this mean that they will mail me a copy? Thanks in advance for the help.
Yes, you will receive a copy of your report in the mail.
Everyone is entitled to receive one free copy of their credit report each year from all three credit reporting agencies, go to www.annualfreecreditreport.com or call Trans Union at (800) 888-4213 and you can get your free copy sent directly from Trans Union, it will be process in 4 working days.

Last edited by softballtwins2; 02-14-2014 at 7:30 AM..
Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballtwins2 View Post
Yes, you will receive a copy of your report in the mail.
Everyone is entitled to receive one free copy of their credit report each year from all three credit reporting agencies, go to www.annualfreecreditreport.com or call Trans Union at (800) 888-4213 and you can get your free copy sent directly from Trans Union, it will be process in 4 working days.
Perfect thank you for the response. Looks like I wont get my sealed copy until next week then.

Old 02-14-2014, 1:40 PM

Hi CaptMike, is there any idea of when positions might be opening again for applications? I am game to applying for GSN-DPO 1. I would be grateful for any position. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2014, 5:58 PM

They are making a big push to process the last groups of applicants for the may and july classes. I expect they will reopen in march or april. I will post when it does.
Old 02-15-2014, 4:34 PM

I might have a problem, i received my credit report in the mail but the envelope did not say it was TransUnion so i accidentally opened it not knowing it was my sealed credit report so now do i have to order another one, I am afraid I dont have enough time to receive it because Im scheduled for fingerprinting on the 21st
Old 02-15-2014, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Call whichever credit report you have to use and talk with the customer service agent. Tell her or him if you can pay for overnight express shipping.

Old 02-15-2014, 5:09 PM

Default Academy

CaptMike- Is the academy as physically demanding as the sheriffs academy? Thanks for the previous response
Old 02-15-2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isas6019 View Post
CaptMike- Is the academy as physically demanding as the sheriffs academy? Thanks for the previous response
The academy is not that physically demanding, I finished back in 2008 and I found it to be a bit underwhelming physically but like Bojack I also am a graduate of USMC boot camp.

Several people did have difficulty but as long as you are in average to above average shape you will be OK, most people have problems with the cardio so try to be able to run at least an 8 minute mile prior to starting.
If you have questions you may also feel free to PM me, I have a lot of experience "in the trenches" and will give you honest answers about the job and help you any way I can.

Last edited by Pryde; 02-15-2014 at 7:08 PM..
Old 02-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Hi Capt. Mike. I read your recent post on hiring resuming in march or April. Do you know when they will open hiring for DPO II
Old 02-17-2014, 11:23 AM

I dont think they will be reopening Dpo II any time soon. The department now has enough folks ready to promote from within. If we promote all that are promotable, they may reopen but i dont think that may happen for 6 months to a year or more. Dso and Dpo I is the big push right now. Hiring at these levels allows us to promote those from within when they are replaced by new deputies. Good luck
Old 02-17-2014, 5:39 PM

Captmike,

What is the eta for processing the Group supervisor nights position? The written test was in middle January 2014. Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 7:37 PM

In process now, you can get a call next week or 6 months from now. Its up to the anonomizer to choose your name for processing. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2014, 1:22 PM

Hi CaptMike, a few questions.

1. You say there is a big push for DSO/DPO, does this mean GSN will not be offered in March or April? Working nights would really help me out right now.

2. It says DPO can be residential treatment or detention services. So a DPO could be working in a hall?

3. You mentioned that you lose 15-20% of applicants during the academy training. Is it typically due to injury, stress, or some other reason?

Thank you!
Old 02-20-2014, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico2014 View Post
Hi CaptMike, a few questions.

2. It says DPO can be residential treatment or detention services. So a DPO could be working in a hall?
DPOs work only in camp with 56 hour 3-day camp schedules.
DSOs work only in halls with 5 day schedules in 8 hour shifts.
Old 02-20-2014, 4:21 PM

Pryde is spot on, the only exception are a few DPO I's that are assigned to our camps headquarters unit that is located in sylmar juvenile hall.

Gsns are part of the push as well

We loose folks to injury, stress, academics and sometimes people dont realize that we have an academy and they come to the conclusion that the job is not what they expected. Ive had folks tell me that the job was a counseling position. We do wear that hat, but we are peace officers first.
Old 02-20-2014, 6:31 PM

Thank you Pryde and CaptMike for the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde View Post
DPOs work only in camp with 56 hour 3-day camp schedules.
So how exactly does that work? That sounds like it could quickly burn out a person.

Is starting in a camp okay for a person like me off the street? Or would it be better to start in the halls?
Old 02-20-2014, 6:52 PM

Firemans hours. Work 16, sleep 8( dont get paid to sleep), work 16, sleep 8, work 8 and go home. You actually work and get paid 40 hours. If you are woken up at night, you get paid overtime. People dont burn out. People live the camp schedule because you end up having 4 days off every week.

I always recommend starting in the halls because its harder. You really learn all the in and outs of gang life and culture. The experience makes you a better deputy when you hit the streets. Interms of long term promotability, folks that started in the halls, went to camp and end up in the field have a higher likelyhood of promoting to the higher ranks. I have seen lots of folks that went straight to camp and then the fieldtake longer to promote up past supervisor. Most of the current managers started in the halls.

That being said, i would not turn down a giod county job. If they offer you DPO I, i would take it. You can later promote to a senior position in the halls if you want the hall experience. Good luck
Old 02-21-2014, 9:45 AM

If you are not comfortable with the idea of sleeping overnight at a juvi detention camp 2 days a week, you should go for DSO instead. Some people may have problems with the idea of not being able to be at home during Xmas or Thanksgiving etc.

It is important to bear in mind that no job in Law Enforcement has ideal schedules. Expect to be working on weekends and all holidays for your first 5 years on the job.

I would have to disagree with Mike that the halls are harder, if anything it is more of a controlled environment with higher staffing ratios, so you have many more tools available to deal with difficult detainees and it is a better, slower paced learning environment for new Officers. He is correct that most of the higher ranking members of the Department did start in the halls.
Old 02-21-2014, 9:35 PM

That is very informative. Sounds like the wise choice would be to start in the halls.

Even though I have not been able to even apply yet, would it be possible to tour a juvenile hall or camp?
Old 02-22-2014, 9:55 AM

Capt Mike would you happen to know which camps are being filled with DPO's at this time? Or is it safe to say that all camps are... Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:04 AM

All camps but the camps located the farthest have the most openings. Lancaster, elizabeth lake, santa clarita and duarte have the most. But you dont get to choose where you are assigned. The department will send you where it needs you. If you dont like the assignment your only option is to resign.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

You guys are lucky Captmike and Pryde is giving you guys tons of good information. I do not work for LA Probation, but I do know about being the "new guy in the department" (only 2 years on). Do not be picky about the location of your assignment if you do get hire. When I got hire from my department, I even told my BI and HR I was even willing to work at Blythe if I have too.

It is lot easier to transfer to different jail or camp when you are already working for the county.

Old 02-22-2014, 2:18 PM

Ill give my two cents. I work for probation but not LA county. I started at a camp, I had to sleep over many nights including christmas, thanksgiving and other holidays and weekends. It was tough, there was no cell phone service and I was literally cut off from society while I was up there. It was tough but I gained a ton of experience, luckily I was in my early twenties when I went through this. I later transferred to the hall and I enjoy it to this day. The hall is a lot more secure and back-up is just around the corner. At the camp there are no cells and back-up may take a lot longer. I honed in my verbal judo skills and was able to handle work crews of inmates alone in the wilderness cutting fire breaks. My advice is work wherever you can but don't be afraid to transfer around to get some experience. I've worked 4 institutions in 6 years and its been a great experience so far, there are still a few more I want to work at. Be flexible and count everything as a learning experience, no matter how tough it gets because it WILL get tough.
Old 02-22-2014, 5:10 PM

^ Everything Watchur6 said is absolutely true and excellent information.
Old 02-23-2014, 6:07 PM

Hey everyone.
Just looking for some clarification.Is TREATMENT/RESIDENTIAL DPO a position specific to Dorothy Kirby or is this a new complete Title for DPO I?
Old 02-23-2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSAGUI View Post
Hey everyone.
Just looking for some clarification.Is TREATMENT/RESIDENTIAL DPO a position specific to Dorothy Kirby or is this a new complete Title for DPO I?
There is no DPO1 position that is specific to only DKC. I believe there is a DPO2 position that is and requires the applicant to hold a MSW prior to appointment.