Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-12-2014, 6:28 PM
Banned

Default Taylor/Chiappa 1892

Sorry for all the lever gun questions, but I've narrowed my search to an 1892 model and am considering either the Winchester or Taylor/Chiappa 1892, both in .45 Colt.

At $1000-$1100 or so they are about the same price. Looked at both again closely today and am really liking the Taylor.

Specifically, what I'm liking is the case hardened finish, the lack of a silly safety and the better wood that they use.

The action cycled very smoothly but since I don't have much experience with lever guns, I've nothing to compare it to.

Anyone have experience with these? They seem like very good guns and the cost isn't an issue. The gun will be used to range plinking, some fun target shooting and I'm just a collector who likes guns.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2014, 7:33 PM

Not much of a decision here....sounds like the Taylor is the gun for you.

Trust me on this.... You will not stop with one lever gun....the Winchester can be next!
Old 02-12-2014, 8:10 PM

I don't have a Winchester. And I don't have a Taylor's 1892... yet.

I ordered the 16" barrel Alaskan 1892 takedown in .357. I was told it should arrive at my LGS sometime this month. I know you are talking about a different model, so I'm not sure if I can be too much help.

They did have a .45LC Alaskan on the rack, so I checked that out. Lever is very smooth. Much smoother than my Rossi R92, which is currently my favorite carbine. The skinner peep site and fiber optic front sight look sweet. I kind of like them better than the buckhorns I have on the R92. The fit and finish of the Taylor's was much better than the Rossi. I also like the Takedown feature of the Taylor's. If it functions/performs as well or better than my Rossi, I might have a new favorite lever action.

However, the Rossi is about about a third/half the price of the Alaskan. Don't get me wrong, the Rossi functions great. It won't win any beauty contests. I didn't care how it looked because I knew it was going to be a beater gun plinking at the range. I would buy the Rossi again, maybe in Stainless.

But the Taylor seems to be the nicer lever action rifle in appearance and build.

And Sosoomi is right, I didn't stop at one lever gun. Calplinker, since you said money isn't an issue, perhaps you should get both?

Hope this helps in some way.
Old 02-13-2014, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosoomi View Post
Trust me on this.... You will not stop with one lever gun....
Well said

OP, are you thinking carbine or rifle? that 20" rifle is a nice looking lever gun.

I haven't seen a Taylor/Chiappa on the racks, was the wood really that much better then the Winchester?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun5000 View Post
I ordered the 16" barrel Alaskan 1892 takedown in .357. I was told it should arrive at my LGS sometime this month. I know you are talking about a different model, so I'm not sure if I can be too much help.
Wow! that's another nice looking lever gun. raygun5000, do you know if they produce with gun with a wood finish?

Happiness is a warm gun

Last edited by golfish; 02-13-2014 at 2:24 PM..
Old 02-13-2014, 10:53 PM

Golfish:

I don't think Chiappa makes the Alaskan 1892 with pure wood stocks.
I believe that the Alaskan stock and fore grip are wood with a rubberized coating. They do make other versions of the 1892:

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/79

I'm not sure if they currently make all of those models.