Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-07-2014, 5:25 PM

Default Teaching a woman to shoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVFWn4D_OMY

I found this valid and very useful.
Old 02-11-2014, 5:54 PM

I listened to about half of the youtube and it seems good. But first things first. Don't teach your wife or girlfriend how to shoot. Send her to a handgun safety class that includes a half day of shooting, maybe one that is women only. Then get her a half day of private instruction with a good NRA qualified instructor. The long-term result will be much better.

Guys don't want to hear this, but learning from a professional instructor is much better for women. There's no emotional/interpersonal factor in play and an all women's class provides future shooting buddies...
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 02-11-2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
I listened to about half of the youtube and it seems good. But first things first. Don't teach your wife or girlfriend how to shoot. Send her to a handgun safety class that includes a half day of shooting, maybe one that is women only. Then get her a half day of private instruction with a good NRA qualified instructor. The long-term result will be much better.

Guys don't want to hear this, but learning from a professional instructor is much better for women. There's no emotional/interpersonal factor in play and an all women's class provides future shooting buddies...
100% agree. I can tell my wife the same exact thing, but the instructor gets through and can help correct her, and I totally cannot.
Old 02-11-2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:

This does not just apply to shooting. My wife and I were married when we started college (30 years ago). We had similar majors and thought it would be great to take the same classes together. It took me 2 years to figure out that it was a bad idea. Our marriage greatly improved when we intentionally took separate sections of the courses that we both needed and we stopped studying together.

I do not teach her and she does not teach me, even if one has the skills or knowledge the other wants to learn. It has save our marriage. The money spent on professional instructors is worth it. Then when we do things together, we enjoy the activity just like any two good friends would. Their is no you are doing this or that wrong.
Old 02-11-2014, 7:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Completely agree! That's why some of us volunteer to teach Women On Target classes. I just went to one last weekend. I think we had more certified instructors than students this time so, after designating a few instructors to full time line duty, almost every shooter had a private instructor on the line.

Anyone that is interested can go to the WOT thread here, PM Penny's dad or go to the NRA website to sign up for the classes at Burro in socal.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 02-11-2014, 7:16 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

It is going to be the hardest day of your life! Your wife & guns (her guns) at the range while your mowing the lawn!
Old 02-11-2014, 8:13 PM

Yup, after introducing my fiance to a gun, she took a Women On Target course - she really enjoyed it. She's been shooting every since. I taught another female friend last month, and will be teaching another one this Saturday.

Good input, thanks!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:15 PM

In my neck of the woods, there aren't any real good instructors other than fellow IDPA and PPC competitors and they don't have the time to teach my fiancee.

It's a very different experience than teaching a normal student. Lots factors in self-esteem and ego to be considered. If you ever bad-mouthed someone at the range and then months later try to get your woman to do a similar thing, or something they perceive to be similar, it can go poorly. It's very much the same in training her for weightlifting (she benches 155, squats 185, and curls 30 lb bells, and she fought me every step of the way with yelling and tears except when she made gains).

As a man you have to set aside ego, learn to communicate clearly (yes this is a problem for most men), do as you so say and practice what you preach, be sensitive about what you are saying and doing not just about what you are doing right then but also in the future. Don't get frustrated, don't treat them like a child, don't give them praise when they get it slightly right instead of completely right, but don't insult them. They will tell you what they need, and you will think you know what they need, and somewhere in the middle is where you will get it right sometimes.

Learn to count to ten, learn to hug after a disagreement, learn to laugh, learn to think before you speak, don't tell them you've never had that problem with anyone else before that you've ever taught. And don't take them canoeing ever, pay the extra for each of you to have a kayak and be happy. Wash, rinse, repeat, make yourself a martini.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:39 PM

Years ago a club I belonged to did not allow spouses to shoot next to each other during their new shooter instruction seminars.