Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-10-2014, 7:16 PM

Default Transporting Firearms and Ammunition in vehicle.

Hello everyone. I'm sure this has been answered on the forum before, so please excuse my lack of knowledge on how to find the search feature on the forum.

Just for future knowledge, what is the legal way to transport my firearms to and from the range?

As far as I know, the weapons have to be in unloaded and in locked cases; ammunition stored separately (front seat, away from the firearm, not easily accessible). As a spin off to that, what about loaded magazines? As it stands, I make sure to unload all magazines before packing up. I'm just asking for the potential 'what if' situation, wherein I forget to unload the magazine (it not being in the weapon). Someone mentioned it might carry a felony charge. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2014, 7:27 PM

A good read that probably answers almost any question you may have can be found at the CGF wiki here.

Simplest answer: Keep all firearms unloaded, lock in a box, and place in trunk. Put ammo in car. Done.
Old 02-10-2014, 7:34 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-10-2014, 9:55 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

From the same sticky posted above:
" Ammunition in the locked container is legal

So long as the handgun is itself unloaded, ammunition in the same container does not make the handgun loaded.Some gun owners may be more comfortable transporting ammunition in a separate container, or a separate compartment of the locked container, but this is not required by current law."

So its perfectly legal to have your handgun unloaded in a locked case with loaded mags OUTSIDE of the magwell but in the same locked case. The old rumors about ammo needing to be seperate from the gun are just that, rumors.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777