Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-24-2014, 6:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default My first .308 round ever

Been doing .38 .45 9mm and 223 for awhile and started getting tools and components together for a while now.

Thanks to all of you who answered many questions. I will be ultamately going for precision so I can properly blame myself and not the ammo.

I have a 700 with an XLR chassis that I picked up here and am getting pretty comfortable with it.

I went with the Redding Comp seater die, Dillon on the rest and am using my 650 press almost like a single stage. I found IMR4895 doesnt meter pefectly so I'm checking each drop and have the trickler handy.

I wipe off brass, lube, deprime and resize. Into the tumbler and then check for length, trim if needed, little brush to the primer pocket and back into the case feeder. I think I'll pull the sizing die for the second go around. This makes a good argument for an extra tool head. Check each drop weight, adjust if needed and seat bullet to 2.75. Crimp and admire. Am I missing anything?

For trimming I'm using a Lee hand trimmer for now and a Dillon case guage. My one time fired brass is a tad short so not really had to trim many yet

Using Hornady 165gr BTSP over the IMR4895

Starting load is 35gr.

I'm planning on starting there and thinking I work my way up in .5 gr increments.

Is that a good approach? How many rounds for each weight? 5? 7? 10 too many?

Other question is about determining if brass is crimped or not. Headstamp is CBC and I think it is. Do guys just try to seat a primer, fail, and then swage? My Dillon Super Swage is waiting.... I'm guessing just swaging is not good because you can end up with a loose pocket? Not to mention the time spent if it's not needed.

Thanks again guys for all the help, Paul

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/z...pskdxv3voz.jpg

Last edited by Pauliedad; 01-24-2014 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: Photo added
Old 01-24-2014, 6:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a pic in photobucket and can't get it into this post. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2014, 7:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

go to photobucket, choose your photo and click on "direct" link. then, click on the mountain/sun image icon and paste it here. it will then show.

with regards to your 308 reloading, where did you get the 35gr starting load? hodgdon's website shows start load @ 42.7gr. Are you using military brass? 0.5gr increments is a good start. go in 0.5 increments and load 3 rounds of each increment. load up to maximum powder charge (or a little more if you are comfortable with this), but make sure to look at each fired brass to look for pressures signs. if you see pressure signs, STOP! if you have extra loaded ammo at or beyond this charge weight, mark it and PULL these when you get home.

if your brass looks like it has an indented ring around the primer, chances are it is crimped. i have a method on how to organize my brass so i know whats already been swaged vs what is new brass or brass that needs swaging. during the primer seating process, if it feels tough, i stop immediately, check my process first (sometimes primer could be sideways) and if everything is ok, then i check the brass and swage it if it is crimped.

Last edited by bsumoba; 01-24-2014 at 7:33 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 7:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The 35 gr came out of the Hornady book with that specific bullet. Ill double check my Lee and Lyman books to validate.
Three rounds sounds good.
When I first started I was almost using a magnifying glass to look for pressure signs so I'm good at that drill.
Good info on the pockets. My first go at .223 had some surprise military brass that had me crushing a few primers so i know what that feels like.
The CBC brass has what looks like three little crimps.
I'm almost wondering if reeming those out might be easier.
Ill try again for the photo. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2014, 9:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Swaging will not loosed primer pockets. Just swage them. They are crimped with those spots. Crimped does not have to be a full circle.
I load 5 for testing.
No need to crimp the bullets
Old 01-25-2014, 12:16 PM

Congrats on adding 308 to your reloading inventory. I think you will really enjoy the latitude of the 308's capabilities when you load your own ammo. I'm glad your using IMR4895, it's a great match for the 308 and one of my go to powders for it. PM me if you want to try a couple of my load recipes for 308. I load on the low to medium end, so if your looking for max velocities and pressures, I can't help you out there. I look for accuracy over velocity
Old 01-25-2014, 1:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I thought you had to crimp.
It's a magazine fed bolt. Isn't there a chance of setback sitting in the mag?
Old 01-25-2014, 4:33 PM

I don't crimp my gas loads, they don't have any setback in a 10rd mag.
Old 01-25-2014, 8:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Oh well,
I've got 33 rounds done ready for testing but they are all crimped.
I'm guessing that will effect most of my accuracy observations.
I wasn't going to chrono this first batch just going for accuracy at this point.
Old 01-25-2014, 8:18 PM

I could never get past .308 plinking ammo on my 650. They don't work well as a single stage because the shell plate will flex too much and the powder drop is just too inconsistent with rifle powder, at least it is with varget. I wound up trickling each round and seating on a single stage with comp dies. Leaving the sizing die in on your second go round might help balance the load.
Good luck and have fun
Old 01-25-2014, 8:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yeah, I'm effectively using it as a single stage. The case feeder is handy for depriming and resizing although. I throw short and trickle the rest. Back into the press under the redding comp die. Been checking as I go and it's 100 percent consistent so far so if there's flex there it's not effecting the seating length.
Agree on the powder drop. It's + or - .3 gr so trickle it is.
I'm ready to pick up a single stage if I must but this is getting it done for now.

Update on the brass. The three little crimps don't effect seating the primer.

Can't wait to go shoot these. Kids are home from school Monday so probably not till Wednesday. A Grafs order showed up today so I should also be able to make up some 155gr Amax loads as well.

Good times
Old 01-26-2014, 1:33 PM

35 grains seems really light for a .308

Might want to check the Hogdon site for load data. It shows 42.7gr for a 165gr bullet and your powder.

I run 44gr of IMR4320 for a plinking load with 150gr spitzers.

Last edited by elemenope; 01-26-2014 at 1:35 PM..
Old 01-27-2014, 9:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll report back after I shoot these on Wednesday. The 35 gr is straight out of the Hornady book.
Maybe its been lawyerfied?
Old 01-29-2014, 8:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Update,

So I shot the afore mentioned rounds today and it was awesome.
At 100 yards I couldn't really see a difference for accuracy. Most of the groups were pretty similar to above. Those above are the first three at 35gr.
The recoil steadily climbed and as others had pointed out the starting load of 35 grains (fresh out of the Hornady book) was the lowest I saw. Downright a pleasure to shoot.
I imagine at two or three hundred yards the groups might show me something else? Or do I need to go further out to see the difference?
Been doing pistol and .223 for a while now but this was even more satisfying.
Old 01-29-2014, 9:54 PM

35gr of IMR4895 is mighty light for a 165gr bullet. Here is a direct link to the powder manufactures load data. You will see your Hornady 165gr BTSP listed with IMR4895 with a start load of 42.7gr.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I would think those 35gr loads probably would have poor results the further the distance. At 100 yds that is a fantastic group and I would suspect that the hornady manual you are referencing for your load data may be outdated. As to crimping your bullets that is more of a personal choice. I was also taught to crimp all rifle rounds used for semi-auto and tube fed rifles and told it's not needed for bolt actions provided you're getting sufficient neck tension when doing your sizing procedure either full length or neck. I personally like the Lee factory crimp dies but that's just my opinion. Good luck and enjoy the new caliber to your arsenal.

Last edited by SmokeWagon; 01-29-2014 at 10:01 PM..
Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks, that was a typical group up through 41 grains. Ill go from there next batch.
Is the reason some don't crimp that it effects consistency? I'm using dillon dies but added a redding seating die.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliedad View Post
Thanks, that was a typical group up through 41 grains. Ill go from there next batch.
Is the reason some don't crimp that it effects consistency? I'm using dillon dies but added a redding seating die.

Some shooters swear it affects accuracy while still others say not crimping affects their accuracy. That's why I say it is a personal preference and just another thing you need to experiment with to see what results you get. It's quite like powder, some guns like certain powders better than others while some guns will shoot anything you put in them. To the best of my knowledge all factory ammo comes crimped and that includes match ammo so that's got to count for something. As I said those are some very consistent and excellent grouping you got there with your crimped reloads so try a few without crimping and compare to see if you can tell a difference.
Old 01-30-2014, 2:29 AM

I have a Remy 700 spa been doing .308 for a while now.. and this my personal fav.
Nosler Ballistic tip 165 gr spitzer
With IMR 4320 43.5 gr
Old 01-30-2014, 2:33 AM

Sorry to post again ....

It should say sps
I never crimp my rounds, and have pretty good accuracy
Old 01-30-2014, 6:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I realize this is a newb question so bear with me please.
If I don't crimp, then I need to load the round directly into the chamber instead of sliding bolt and picking up the round from the magazine?
My concern was that if I'm cycling from mag I could get some set back. Neck tension has seemed good otherwise.
Old 01-30-2014, 9:00 AM

35 gr seems to light of a load.
My 308 load with 150gr bullets are upwards of 42 gr with varget

sent from my tin foil tent via d.o.s. using a apple computer with a floppy drive
Old 01-30-2014, 7:08 PM

43.1 grains of varget with 155 SMKs and 43.5 with 175s No crimp...
Old 01-31-2014, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliedad View Post
I realize this is a newb question so bear with me please.
If I don't crimp, then I need to load the round directly into the chamber instead of sliding bolt and picking up the round from the magazine?
My concern was that if I'm cycling from mag I could get some set back. Neck tension has seemed good otherwise.

If you are really concerned about this may I suggest that you make up a magazine full of dummy rounds. Just FL size and trim to length enough brass to fill up whatever your magazine capacity is. Then without putting primer and powder into the cases add your bullet and seat them to your desired OAL. Once you have them all made up load them into your magazine and then cycle them through your rifle catching them upon extraction as you do not want them hitting anything ground/table ect. Once you cycle them all then measure them and if the OAL is unchanged or only slightly shorter you can rest assured that you are good to go with fully loaded non-crimped rounds. This should ease your concerns and give you peace of mind.....good luck and happy trails....
Old 01-31-2014, 9:27 PM

Easier to load compared to .223.

I spent a lot of time in the under 40 grains arena but really loved it when I went to 42-44grains (albeit I normally load a 168grain .308)

At 100 yards all is good at under 40 grains but when you go longer distances is where over 40+ grains makes a difference.

I suggest shooting at 200 - 300 and see your groups... betcha might find a higher load a bit more desirable.

Congrats!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Smokewagon, thanks, good idea. Will check it out.

I'm taking out a bunch of 155gr a-max over 42.2 gr to a 300 yard range tomorrow to see how they/we do.
I brought some factory 168gr in case mine get ugly.
Will post some pics /results tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2014, 7:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Update on my first .308 reloads

Got to shoot my loads today at 300 yards.
This was a pretty typical group.
The last flyer was me choking on the last shot.
I was almost giggling.

Thanks for the help and support.
Old 02-01-2014, 7:34 PM

300 yards? Ok then. Try 41.0-41.5gr IMR 4895 with the 165's or 168's if you have any.[Sierra's] Also, what is your OAL?
Old 02-01-2014, 8:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The 300 is once in a while. Mid feb is my next chance.
I have hornady's 155gr and 165gr
The above 155s were 2.80
The first 165s were 2.75

Before I shot my loads I shot 5 rounds of 168gr Winchester factory to warm me up. I think my ammo was more consistent.