Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-31-2014, 8:52 AM

Default CCW and private aircraft

Hey all,
We have an angel flight coming up, and we were only able to get our return trip covered, that being said, we are renting a car to drive down to our appointment then flying back.
My question, is it legal to carry on a private airplane? Anyone know if there is TSA screening for private flights?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2014, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Private planes are like private cars. No problem in flying with a firearm.
Old 01-31-2014, 9:40 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson.redding View Post
Hey all,
We have an angel flight coming up, and we were only able to get our return trip covered, that being said, we are renting a car to drive down to our appointment then flying back.
My question, is it legal to carry on a private airplane? Anyone know if there is TSA screening for private flights?

Thanks
Never had a TSA screening while walking out to my plane.
I do not know about carrying on a private plane though. I would imagine it would be the same as in your vehicle.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:28 AM

No TSA screening but check with the plane service, they might have their own restrictions but no one is going to check your bag or pat you down.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

If the plane is operating under part 91 and you don't cross any defined "sterile" areas of the airport you're probably ok. Returning your rental car may possibly put you in a sterile area if not at the FBO. I've carried firearms many times as a pilot, but never brought a loaded firearm on board. The risk of a negligent discharge, while extremely remote, is several times greater in magnitude than the likelihood of any hijacking or other crime being committed by people I've invited on board imho.

If the plane is operating under part 135 (possible depending upon aircraft type/size/ownership) there are FAA regulations requiring the certificate holder to approve prior to the carrying of firearms.

Personally I would unload it and put it in a case at the FBO in private and reload when back on the ground. It sounds like the owner of the aircraft is being very generous and I would not want to possibly offend them by carrying without the pilot's permission, especially if you ever wanted another ride. YMMV

And finally good luck with any medical treatments; wish you and your family all the best.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Last edited by redcliff; 01-31-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Old 01-31-2014, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
If the plane is operating under part 91 and you don't cross any defined "sterile" areas of the airport you're probably ok. Returning your rental car may possibly put you in a sterile area if not at the FBO. I've carried firearms many times as a pilot, but never brought a loaded firearm on board. The risk of a negligent discharge, while extremely remote, is several times greater in magnitude than the likelihood of any hijacking or other crime being committed by people I've invited on board imho.

If the plane is operating under part 135 (possible depending upon aircraft type/size/ownership) there are FAA regulations requiring the certificate holder to approve prior to the carrying of firearms.

Personally I would unload it and put it in a case at the FBO in private and reload when back on the ground. It sounds like the owner of the aircraft is being very generous and I would not want to possibly offend them by carrying without the pilot's permission, especially if you ever wanted another ride. YMMV

And finally good luck with any medical treatments; wish you and your family all the best.
Thank you for your input, I think that is likely the best course of action.

and thank you for the best wishes!
Old 01-31-2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post

Pretty much that. You have to use your head, but I would not disclose unless presented with that option.

91 operations can become involved with sterile areas. Like I said, use your head.

You will still run into people who think you can't have a gun within a mile of any airport.

My god, Bigger Hammer, dont you have jaywalkers to ticket?

bunny farts to flamethrowers

Last edited by Ritchie8719; 01-31-2014 at 2:25 PM..
Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 AM

I've flown my company's private jet from NY to LAX and into Van Nuys airport. There were no check points at any of the FBO's and we walked right on/off the plane. When my wife came to pick me up at the FBO, they even offered to let her drive up to the plane since it was very cold out so she didnt have to walk over (She wanted to come over and check out the plane).

Whats in the luggage is your business and yours alone.
Old 02-05-2014, 1:50 PM

yeah....the last time I got to do it, it was limo pickup straight to the tarmac!

None of this TSA or checkpoint crap!.....
Old 02-10-2014, 6:39 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The only time the wife can read a map in the plane is when we are exiting CA, so she knows when to break open the locked containers (we live in a no-issue county, but have permits in all neighboring states).

As a side note, I spoke with John Lott after one of his events regarding firearms in aircraft. Until the 1960s, the Feds didn't prohibit firearms on aircraft, and ... wait for it ... absolutely nothing bad ever happened! Since 9/11, a grand total of one armed flight deck officer has shanked a round in flight -- nothing that couldn't be fixed on the ground later. As you know, there are plenty of holes in pressurized aircraft (bathroom vents being the most obvious), so the Goldfinger decompression scenario is just a movie. I did the math once -- it would take 500+ .45 holes to duplicate just the bathroom venting on a 747.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peņa v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).

Last edited by fizux; 02-10-2014 at 6:55 AM..
Old 02-10-2014, 6:55 AM

Our flights went well. Or first pilot had no qualms about ccw, in fact, he wished Yolo county was not so restrictive. The pilot that flew us out of Palo Alto on the other hand was clearly opposed to the idea.
So out of respect and gratitude I left everything in the safe that day. I very well could have, there were no security zones to worry about.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie8719 View Post
You will still run into people who think you can't have a gun within a mile of any airport.
My local shooting range is on the final leg off of runway 31R. One of these days some local gang-banging idiot is going to shoot at a Cessna as it crosses overhead at 200 feet and is going to get the range closed.