Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-30-2014, 8:41 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default CA AB 1563 (2014) Donnelly - Amended 4/22 - Shall Issue LTC

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...01320140AB1563

ETA - Major positive changes April 22!

Appears to be a place holder bill at the moment.

Quote:
AB 1563, as introduced, Donnelly. Firearms.
Existing law generally regulates the transfer and possession of firearms. Existing law defines “firearm” in various ways for various regulatory purposes.
This bill would make technical, nonsubstantive changes to the provisions defining “firearm” for those purposes.
Place holders exist to allow everything up to gut and amend; bills are ordinarily considered in order of their bill number, so a lower number gets earlier consideration at first. Later, the author may postpone hearings, so the order may get scrambled.

No content to discuss yet.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 04-25-2014 at 8:25 AM..
Old 01-30-2014, 12:33 PM

Something I found on Donnelly :

Conservative Southern California a Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, a Tea Party favorite and former Minuteman, kicked off his campaign for governor at the state GOP convention Saturday, warning that Democratic Governor Jerry Brown may be face recall “if he wants to erase the Second Amendment” by signing tougher gun laws.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM

It appears to simply change references to firearm in the code from '"firearm"' to 'the term "firearm"'

I'm not sure what the angle is here, unless he's making a political statement that what we call firearms are mere inventions in the penal code.
Old 01-30-2014, 1:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometa View Post
It appears to simply change references to firearm in the code from '"firearm"' to 'the term "firearm"'

I'm not sure what the angle is here, unless he's making a political statement that what we call firearms are mere inventions in the penal code.
Read the first post again.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Old 01-30-2014, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathonman View Post
Something I found on Donnelly :

Conservative Southern California a Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, a Tea Party favorite and former Minuteman, kicked off his campaign for governor at the state GOP convention Saturday, warning that Democratic Governor Jerry Brown may be face recall “if he wants to erase the Second Amendment” by signing tougher gun laws.
You're a little behind if you had to google Donnelly. I'm glad you're getting caught up.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 01-30-2014, 4:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

As stated a place holder.

Could very well be here to see what else will be on the agenda and to wait out what may happen in the courts between now and the end of the year.
Old 01-30-2014, 7:12 PM
Internet Folk Hero
CGN Contributor

I've just become way too cynical.

I have yet to see a "positive" come out of Sacramento, just chalking up wins based on idiotic bills getting the veto.

Perhaps we could offer up proposals... like one where authors of bills that are deemed to be unconstitutional in the courts, have to reimburse all court costs PERSONALLY.

That'd keep the Deleon's and Yee's at bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklon View Post
The inevitable explosion gets closer and closer, coming in little steps, but closer every day.
I say: "Let's do it and get it over with."
Fellow Calgunners: I'm way over my fun budget for the year, so please don't let me buy any guns off of you until Feb 2018. :)
Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Read the first post again.
Okay...but I see the content of the bill, which clearly changes the text of existing law. Are you saying the content is to be disregarded as not actually content and it's clear it will be amended later?

Edit: I just learned what a spot bill is. http://www.seismic.ca.gov/pub/Naviga...ve_Process.pdf

Last edited by prometa; 01-30-2014 at 10:14 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 10:14 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Bill was updated on the 28th (just noticed). Revises concealed carry laws to require self defense to be acceptable good cause, and requires sheriff to issue to all who qualify. Seems redundant, assuming Peruta sticks, but I'll take it!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Amended again
Quote:
SEC. 3.
If the Commission on State Mandates determines that this act contains costs mandated by the state, reimbursement to local agencies and school districts for those costs shall be made pursuant to Part 7 (commencing with Section 17500) of Division 4 of Title 2 of the Government Code.

Old 04-03-2014, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Please do NOT support this. He doesn't know WTF he's doing and it's causing frustration... there are better ways that this could be written, and TD can't carry a bill to completion anyway.

This is what happens when not-that-bright people try to be helpful.
Being that its very early in the process, and amendments can happen long into the future, maybe somebody who is legally inclined could offer some assistance to the honorable assemblyman to craft a great bill, rather than bashing it.

Listening to Donnelly speak on the floor of the assembly last year during the votes he clearly wants to preserve the constitution (as regards 2A) and enhance the rights of Californians.

Help a brother out!

Yes, yes, he's too extreme to ever be elected for Governor. And people may not agree with all of his policy choices. But when you have an ally, in a position to be helpful, why not supply them with the knowledge to do the most good?
Old 04-05-2014, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlyworking View Post
Being that its very early in the process, and amendments can happen long into the future, maybe somebody who is legally inclined could offer some assistance to the honorable assemblyman to craft a great bill, rather than bashing it.

Listening to Donnelly speak on the floor of the assembly last year during the votes he clearly wants to preserve the constitution (as regards 2A) and enhance the rights of Californians.

Help a brother out!

Yes, yes, he's too extreme to ever be elected for Governor. And people may not agree with all of his policy choices. But when you have an ally, in a position to be helpful, why not supply them with the knowledge to do the most good?
Amen!
Old 04-05-2014, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Please do NOT support this. He doesn't know WTF he's doing and it's causing frustration... there are better ways that this could be written, and TD can't carry a bill to completion anyway.

As amended, it's a shall-issue bill. I can't understand what is the intent behind it. It cannot pass. It's not worth the bytes of disk space it takes to store it. I don't see how any pro-RKBA bill will ever pass the legislature.

In the 2016 election, Libertarian voters threw the swing states of Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Maine to Hillary, for a total of 38 electoral college votes. Hillary would have created a permanent a permanent entitlement class and permanent Democratic control over the US.
Old 04-05-2014, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Donnelly is a good man.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Any updates on this?
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 04-11-2014, 12:28 PM

$10 says he knew the Peruta decision was coming and that Moonbeam will use this or a similar bill to change the statute to "shall issue."
Old 04-11-2014, 1:01 PM

Interestingly Donnelly is getting more and more support, even from various Repub groups.

At this rate it will only be the NRA and Bill's minions that don't support him...

Maybe enough Dems are finally getting prosecuted and folks are fed up enough that we don't have to actually support a RINO to get someone elected.
Old 04-11-2014, 1:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wish, fervently, that Tim Donnelly could really win the governorship... and that Steinberg, Dickinson, Deleon and Skinner would follow in the wake of Yee.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
As amended, it's a shall-issue bill. I can't understand what is the intent behind it. It cannot pass. It's not worth the bytes of disk space it takes to store it. I don't see how any pro-RKBA bill will ever pass the legislature.
But then again, whoever thought the 9th would judge the way they did on Peruta? Anything is possible. Maybe this doesn't get through but it breaks the ice for something else in the future, the same way the anti-gunners do it. Increments.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 AM

tagged
Old 04-13-2014, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula View Post
But then again, whoever thought the 9th would judge the way they did on Peruta? Anything is possible. Maybe this doesn't get through but it breaks the ice for something else in the future, the same way the anti-gunners do it. Increments.

The ninth is representative of mostly pro gun states.

Break legislative ice? Only if and when the polar ice caps melt and maybe then will you have a chance legislatively.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
The ninth is representative of mostly pro gun states.

Break legislative ice? Only if and when the polar ice caps melt and maybe then will you have a chance legislatively.
I know. Just trying to be positive. Think positive as much as you can.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I know. Just trying to be positive. Think positive as much as you can.

I think positive ever day I holster my concealed carry firearm.

Thinking positive about the CA legislature is like hoping an aborted fetus survives.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thinking positive about the CA legislature is like hoping an aborted fetus survives.
Justin Bieber is alive and well.

Old 04-13-2014, 3:40 PM

Quote:
I think positive ever day I holster my concealed carry firearm.

Quote:
Justin Bieber is alive and well.

lol, best come back ever

Last edited by phase1; 04-13-2014 at 3:44 PM..
Old 04-14-2014, 2:01 AM

Interestingly Donnelly is getting more and more support, even from various Repub groups.

At this rate it will only be the NRA and Bill's minions that don't support him...

Maybe enough Dems are finally getting prosecuted and folks are fed up enough that we don't have to actually support a RINO to get someone elected.

This is so true ! People are waking up , and sick of politics as usual . That's what makes Donnelley extremely electable . He's grass roots and if he takes the gloves off and speaks his mind he can win .
Old 04-14-2014, 5:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassin&blastin View Post
People are waking up , and sick of politics as usual . That's what makes Donnelley extremely electable . He's grass roots and if he takes the gloves off and speaks his mind he can win .
Couple that with all of the democrat scandals and he has a slim chance to really shine. If he can prove his worth, enough people might actually vote for him.

On the flip side, he needs to dial back his stance. Leaning too far right will kill him in the polls.

Slim is better then none.

Do I like アニメ (anime)?

Hell yes I do. You'd better stick around a while "All might"...

Old 04-23-2014, 1:38 PM

As Amended on 4-22-14, it appears this bill eliminates all Good Cause and GMC requirements and moves the licensing away from the Sheriff or Local Chief to the CA DOJ. It appears this would make CA a "shall issue" state. I have an e-mail in to the Author to confirm.
Old 04-23-2014, 1:43 PM

What??? You are way late for April Fool's Day!

EDIT: This is the most straight forward, simple, unambiguous piece of proposed legislation or CA Code I think I have ever read. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by PhillyGunner; 04-23-2014 at 1:58 PM.. Reason: Comment after reading the revision
Old 04-23-2014, 2:06 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

Could putting this bill into law moot the Peruta case, and possibly unravel a shot at getting carry before the SCOTUS? IANAL
Old 04-23-2014, 2:30 PM

Quote:

Bill,

Can you or some others in the front of the 2A crowd contact him and see how he responds to your input? There isn't any sense in shooting this guy down given that he is pro-2A and wanting to get into CA politics.

Proud Contributing Member:
Old 04-23-2014, 2:31 PM

I do not think this will pass, but I would love it to. It would end the this county is shall this county is not. Takes away the SO power to accept or refuse arbitrarily.
Old 04-23-2014, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutPunch View Post
Bill,

Can you or some others in the front of the 2A crowd contact him and see how he responds to your input? There isn't any sense in shooting this guy down given that he is pro-2A and wanting to get into CA politics.
He's already in CA Politics - sitting assembly member and Republican candidate for Governor.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dca965 View Post
CA CCW 2013 | Applied in person 11/4 | App approved 12/10 | Interview 12/17 | Denial (GC) Ltr. 1/14 | AZ CCW 2014 | Applied via mail 03/20 | Entered by DPS 05/02 | Approved 5/10 | Received 5/16 | OR CHL 2014 | Applied in person 04/17 | Approved 4/30 | Received 5/9 | WA CPL 2014 | Applied in person 04/18 | Approved 6/9 | Received 6/12 | NV CFP 2014 | Applied 09/25 | Received 1/15 | UT CFP 2015 | Applied 11/26 | Received 1/16
Old 04-23-2014, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

Eventually AB 1563 will probably be amended to decriminalize possession of an illegally transferred loaded firearm in an airport secure area.
Old 04-23-2014, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyInSanJose View Post
As Amended on 4-22-14, it appears this bill eliminates all Good Cause and GMC requirements and moves the licensing away from the Sheriff or Local Chief to the CA DOJ. It appears this would make CA a "shall issue" state. I have an e-mail in to the Author to confirm.
This is a good thing. This means that if the law isn't followed to a "T", there's only one party to sue as opposed to playing judicial whack-a-mole with various sheriffs and police chiefs.

And what are these "Amendments" on permits that are proposed? Are you still going to have to list all handguns you want to carry on the permit itself? They should get rid of that. And I hope subsection (b) of Section 26150 means that non-residents will be able to get permits as well, since I frequently travel to California.

Last edited by Rail; 04-23-2014 at 3:43 PM..
Old 04-23-2014, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
This is a good thing. This means that if the law isn't followed to a "T", there's only one party to sue as opposed to playing judicial whack-a-mole with various sheriffs and police chiefs.
The only problem I see with this is the fact that it is going to go through the DOJ. There is little chance that CCW reform could get through our state legislature with both houses having a democratic majority. The only reason several gun laws were not voted out of the houses was because they were too moronic to have been written in the first place. The current makeup of the houses would absolutely insist on amendments that would make the criteria at least as bad as sheriffs are currently allowed to leave to their prerogative. If the DOJ all of a sudden has complete control over issuance, we are going to be sending all applications that would normally be divided up between all the counties, to one location. You think that having appointments a year out in some counties is bad? How bout the whole state scheduling appointments out to 2020?

It's just not going to happen. It can't go through this year. Maybe if the state gets smart and puts more republican members in the houses this year, then we could start to make legislative reform. Until then, I think we just need to keep fighting in the courts. Hope for good outcomes in Drake and Peruta, then file more suits when sheriffs start denying for moral character.
Old 04-23-2014, 5:10 PM

While I am sympathetic to the skepticism about the chances of passing, this bill appears to now be almost everything we could reasonably hope for regarding LTC...

Shall issue..
30 days from App to Permit
One point of contact
No GC or GMC
5 Year term on the Permit

or am I missing something?

And if this bill does do what we want, why not spend our collective energy calling and writing our state legislators (especially those on the Public Safety committee) and try to get enough support to get this passed, instead of badmouthing an Assembly Member who at least is trying to do something?
Old 04-23-2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMW View Post
If the DOJ all of a sudden has complete control over issuance, we are going to be sending all applications that would normally be divided up between all the counties, to one location. You think that having appointments a year out in some counties is bad? How bout the whole state scheduling appointments out to 2020?
Except that this is completely re-writing the law. There will be no appointments, just criteria that is spelled out in law like it is in every shall-issue state: application, background check, fingerprints, proof of training. That's it. Apply online or mail it in. They try to do anything else, that's only one agency to fight, not hundreds.
Old 04-23-2014, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Unfortunately, Kamala Harris is the DOJ. She'll bend over backwards to not comply.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.G. View Post
Unfortunately, Kamala Harris is the DOJ. She'll bend over backwards to not comply.
And we have a winner!