Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01-28-2014, 8:18 PM
lasbrg's Avatar
lasbrg lasbrg is offline
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 4,241
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default









The image converter gives results like the earliest "low-res" tintype photos.

I think, at a quick glance, it is not so easy to spot the "fake" tintype.

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-28-2014, 9:47 PM
mievil mievil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,652
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post

The image converter gives results like the earliest "low-res" tintype photos.

I think, at a quick glance, it is not so easy to spot the "fake" tintype.
As long as you know what a tintype is, it is actually very easy to spot.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-29-2014, 12:48 AM
GOEX FFF's Avatar
GOEX FFF GOEX FFF is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Under the Bill of Rights
Posts: 5,269
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Here's a good tutorial on how to make a wet plate effect with Photoshop -

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ph...-photo-effect/
__________________


Gun-Control: "A theory like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-29-2014, 7:00 AM
lasbrg's Avatar
lasbrg lasbrg is offline
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 4,241
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
As long as you know what a tintype is, it is actually very easy to spot.
As long as you provide no evidence, you can make any claim you like.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-29-2014, 7:15 AM
mievil mievil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,652
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

Wow. That's deep.

Like I said, I just took a 5 month class in historical photography. A couple of the other guys in this thread have family members that do this process for a living. I'm certain that they would be able to pick out any fake spit out by an emulator. Your "as long as you provide no evidence" spout is the same as telling Scott Duff that you could easily pass a fake Garand by him because he doesn't know what he's talking about. (I am not comparing myself to Scott in any fashion). Someone well versed in photo manipulation can make some pretty astounding "fakes". But just running an image through an emulator is not expert forgery.

The photoshop tutorial above is pretty sweet. Way better than the chops posted above.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-29-2014, 7:45 AM
mj1's Avatar
mj1 mj1 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,812
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Never dull moment here.

__________________
WTS As new M47 Madsen 3006 w/bayonet.
WTS NIB Mosin 91/59
WTS WW2 S&W 38/200 US PROPERTY marked revolver.
WTS New 1/53 #4Mk2 Enfield
I will deliver or ship, details to be arranged with buyer.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-29-2014, 8:43 AM
lasbrg's Avatar
lasbrg lasbrg is offline
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 4,241
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
As long as you know what a tintype is, it is actually very easy to spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
Wow. That's deep.

Like I said, I just took a 5 month class in historical photography. A couple of the other guys in this thread have family members that do this process for a living. I'm certain that they would be able to pick out any fake spit out by an emulator. Your "as long as you provide no evidence" spout is the same as telling Scott Duff that you could easily pass a fake Garand by him because he doesn't know what he's talking about. (I am not comparing myself to Scott in any fashion). Someone well versed in photo manipulation can make some pretty astounding "fakes". But just running an image through an emulator is not expert forgery.

The photoshop tutorial above is pretty sweet. Way better than the chops posted above.
There you go. You first response was content-free, but in your second, you had something to say.

Anyway, I never made any claims for the online image converter, apart from saying I thought it was fun to play with. I posted it based on a comment from someone else that this type of image conversion existed. Feel free not to use it, or to like it, because I don't care.

From experimenting a little, I think that it does provide a low-res facsimile of a tintype-style photo that might well fool those who "don't know what a tintype is", which includes basically everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Grendl's Avatar
Grendl Grendl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles/Ventura Counties
Posts: 1,084
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post
From experimenting a little, I think that it does provide a low-res facsimile of a tintype-style photo that might well fool those who "don't know what a tintype is", which includes basically everyone.
To be fair, "most everyone still living."
__________________
EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED! YOU STILL DON'T HAVE A GUN TRUST?

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 AM
pitfighter's Avatar
pitfighter pitfighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,135
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Be nice, lads,

It's all for fun now anyway.
__________________
Pitfighter.
Phoenix, AZ.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-29-2014, 10:53 AM
lasbrg's Avatar
lasbrg lasbrg is offline
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 4,241
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendl View Post
To be fair, "most everyone still living."
Good point!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-29-2014, 1:56 PM
meaty-btz's Avatar
meaty-btz meaty-btz is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,943
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

There really isn't such a thing as "low resolution" tin type.

The resolution, is theoretically "atomic" scale.

However, lens technology, lens condition, and of course the ability of your subject to stay still for often as long as 20s (harder than you think) would result in inferior or fuzzy end results. Of course the quality of the materials of the plate and the chemicals is also a factor.

The photoshop tutorial has some merit, the auto-converter does not. Lack of mirroring is one thing. But more it lacks the organic flaws. It uses procedural texturing to generate the flaws and anyone, myself included, who has a decade plus experience in the use of procedural texturing can spot em like a sore thumb.

Further the lack the "depth" generated by long exposure. If you started with a very long exposure photograph it would help. Long exposure photographs look remarkably different than short exposure ones.

Just because someone tone-deaf cannot tell the differences between a real singer and a vocalist does not mean that there is not a stark difference between the two in regards to quality.
__________________
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-29-2014, 2:32 PM
lasbrg's Avatar
lasbrg lasbrg is offline
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 4,241
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
However, lens technology, lens condition, and of course the ability of your subject to stay still for often as long as 20s (harder than you think) would result in inferior or fuzzy end results. Of course the quality of the materials of the plate and the chemicals is also a factor.

...

Just because someone tone-deaf cannot tell the differences between a real singer and a vocalist does not mean that there is not a stark difference between the two in regards to quality.
I'm not following this last argument. Also, as near as I can tell, this comparison is based solely on some very low resolution images that I grabbed off the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post
Here's an URL to do this yourself: http://labs.wanokoto.jp/olds

The site is in Japanese, but it's easy to use (Browse/Convert). It's fun to play around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
Not even close to the real thing.
Are you saying that a photo that was made into a meme and then resized who knows how many times is not the same as an original plate image? Is that your point? If so, then I concede it, although I never argued to the contrary.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:06 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.