Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 01-25-2014, 7:05 PM

Default looking to build up a rifle

Hey guys,
I sold all of my stuff when I moved to NYC a couple years ago and now I'm back in California. I only kept the rifles that were gifts and I don't really want to buy any new firearms until I have the money to buy something really nice. I would really like to have a gunsmith build me a nice tactical style rifle using one of my hunting rifles. I competed with some of you guys a couple years ago with the .22's and also at Angeles once. I would like to have a better setup to do it again.

Here's what i've got:
Remington 700 in .223
Winchester model 70 in .270

My problem with doing anything with the Rem 700 is it's bolt is for small cartridge. I would actually like to keep this rifle in .223 but i'd like to have a rifle with a bit more range to start. Thinking of building this up later and keeping it in .223.
My problem with doing anything with Win 70 is there doesn't seem to be as much support for it. I'd prefer to do something with my Winchester possibly .260 or maybe .308, or .300 WM. Is it possible to make a nice set up for the Winchester? probably be willing to throw a couple thousand into it plus another 2k for a scope. If I spend the money I really want this to be a nice setup and I don't want to be stuck trying to upgrade like I was with my savage just to find out there's no aftermarket support.

What you think of a Win model 70?

Last edited by oops; 01-26-2014 at 7:27 AM..
Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default looking to build up a rifle

A new bolt will change the 223 action into a 308 action which would be easier to do a good precision build with than the long action model 70.

If you want to stick to the model 70, make it a 6.5x55 and load your own target ammo for it.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 01-27-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
A new bolt will change the 223 action into a 308 action which would be easier to do a good precision build with than the long action model 70.

If you want to stick to the model 70, make it a 6.5x55 and load your own target ammo for it.
Hey Randall,

Is there anything inherently wrong with the model 70 I should know? It looks like there's less support than the Remingtons but more than the Savages. I'd like to have you do the work on it for me but I'm not yet sure where to start. I know there's probably wait times on everything like stocks and barrels so I kinda want to get a few things ordered to get on the wait list.

I'll definitely be getting reloading equipment also soon. If I can get quality products for the winchester that will yield accurate results i'll probably move forward on it. If it's just simply gonna be subpar performance or some other problem like no one makes quality stocks for it then I may wait awhile and come up with another option.
Old 01-27-2014, 1:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post
Hey Randall,

Is there anything inherently wrong with the model 70 I should know? It looks like there's less support than the Remingtons but more than the Savages. I'd like to have you do the work on it for me but I'm not yet sure where to start. I know there's probably wait times on everything like stocks and barrels so I kinda want to get a few things ordered to get on the wait list.

I'll definitely be getting reloading equipment also soon. If I can get quality products for the winchester that will yield accurate results i'll probably move forward on it. If it's just simply gonna be subpar performance or some other problem like no one makes quality stocks for it then I may wait awhile and come up with another option.

The only real downside of a model 70 is parts availability.
As an example, you can order a custom diameter replacement bolt for a 700 action to tighten up the fit between action and bolt after truing just like a custom action.
You don't have that option with a model 70.
A model 70 is more difficult to true so you spend more money there...

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 01-27-2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
The only real downside of a model 70 is parts availability.
As an example, you can order a custom diameter replacement bolt for a 700 action to tighten up the fit between action and bolt after truing just like a custom action.
You don't have that option with a model 70.
A model 70 is more difficult to true so you spend more money there...

I'm not really sure the cost difference for something like that. If I had you do a rifle in the model 70 and one in Rem 700 what do you estimate cost difference for your craftsmanship be? Assuming i handed you comparable parts and looking for comparable accuracy and feeding/bolt smoothness. I know that's a fairly wide open question and feel free to PM that info. Any chance for a phone conversation in the next week?
Old 01-28-2014, 8:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post
I'm not really sure the cost difference for something like that. If I had you do a rifle in the model 70 and one in Rem 700 what do you estimate cost difference for your craftsmanship be? Assuming i handed you comparable parts and looking for comparable accuracy and feeding/bolt smoothness. I know that's a fairly wide open question and feel free to PM that info. Any chance for a phone conversation in the next week?

A couple hundred bucks more on a model 70, especially if it is controlled feed.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Look into the Savage LRP rifle chambered in what ever you want. Most are sub moa out of the box and you can find some great deals on used ones.

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 01-28-2014, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
Look into the Savage LRP rifle chambered in what ever you want. Most are sub moa out of the box and you can find some great deals on used ones.
I had a savage FCP-K but it really couldn't hack it when I was trying to compete. The bolt was very stiff so it always took me off target when I cycled and it didn't feed that great when I was in a hurry. There was almost no support for it aftermarket except through SSS and I wouldn't buy from SSS again because of my last bad experience either.
Really I'm just tired of having safe queens that I don't use because they're just not fun. I wouldn't sell them because they're gifts, but I'd like to do something with them.
Old 01-29-2014, 7:10 AM
Veteran Member

The LRP is night and day better then the FCP.

If you do not mind single shot these are also a great deal:
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12FCLASS

Going with Randall will be even better if you have the money. Just giving you another option if funds are tight.

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 01-29-2014, 7:14 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

6cm or 6.5-284 would be my choice
Old 01-29-2014, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
The LRP is night and day better then the FCP.

If you do not mind single shot these are also a great deal:
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12FCLASS

Going with Randall will be even better if you have the money. Just giving you another option if funds are tight.
Much appreciated! I would like to have a detachable mag setup. Money isn't as much of a problem as I just don't want to buy more rifles and have a bunch that I don't use. Plus the wife won't notice upgrades to current rifles as much as me buying new.

If i could find a nice stock for the Winchester that has a foldable or somehow collapsable butt I would probably pull the trigger on upgrading it. It looks like that's the one part that's not as easy to find
Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Ye Olde Mouser
http://www.rrguns.us